The film music of Bernard Herrmann at the ifi this month (1 Viewer)

Nate Champion

Looking forward to this, particularly Nicholas Ray's 'On Dangerous Ground' with the great Robert Ryan. Yes.

THE FILM MUSIC OF BERNARD HERRMANN

Tuesday, 8 August 2006 - Thursday, 31 August 2006
sbanner_109.jpg
http://www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/season.asp?PageID=49&SID=109
“Film music is the communicating link between the screen and the audience, reaching out and enveloping all into one single experience.” So said Bernard Herrmann, who between his first score (Citizen Kane in 1941) and his last (Taxi Driver in 1975), took film music to new heights of invention and innovation, revolutionising the studio orchestra, creating his own distinctive sound-world, and, in Howard Goodall’s phrase, “replacing sentimentality with anxiety.” Born in New York in 1911, Herrmann had studied at the Juilliard School of Music before joining CBS radio in 1934, quickly teaming up with a young Orson Welles to score his radio plays, including the notorious War of the Worlds. Welles was to give him carte blanche on the music for Citizen Kane, including the freedom to orchestrate and conduct his score (something on which Herrmann was subsequently to insist). When he won an Oscar for his next score, The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941), he found he had to put aside his concert and conducting ambitions to fulfil his rapidly expanding film commitments. Although remarkably versatile, Herrmann proved particularly adept at scoring dark psychological melodramas, such as Hangover Square (1945) and On Dangerous Ground (1951), and it was perhaps inevitable that he would be teamed eventually with master of suspense and artist of anxiety Alfred Hitchcock. Their subsequent partnership resulted in a composer-director relationship unmatched in film history for creativity, flair and cinematic symbiosis. When the two fell out over Torn Curtain (1966), it proved a disaster for Hitchcock, but Herrmann enjoyed continued success until bowing out with Taxi Driver, completing the recording sessions on Christmas Eve in 1975 and then dying that evening in his hotel. Fantasy, romance, nostalgia, tenderness: it’s all there in Herrmann, as is his unsurpassable capacity in getting under a film’s skin and inside the characters’ heads to give full reign to their dark desires. Much imitated, fundamentally inimitable (as both Martin Scorsese and Gus Van Sant conceded when they reused Herrmann’s original scores for their remakes of Cape Fear and Psycho, respectively), Herrmann remains the giant of film music against whom all other contenders must measure themselves. - Neil Sinyard.

Looking forward to this, particularly Nicholas Ray's 'On Dangerous Ground' with the great Robert Ryan. Yes.

THE FILM MUSIC OF BERNARD HERRMANN

Tuesday, 8 August 2006 - Thursday, 31 August 2006
sbanner_109.jpg
http://www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/season.asp?PageID=49&SID=109
“Film music is the communicating link between the screen and the audience, reaching out and enveloping all into one single experience.” So said Bernard Herrmann, who between his first score (Citizen Kane in 1941) and his last (Taxi Driver in 1975), took film music to new heights of invention and innovation, revolutionising the studio orchestra, creating his own distinctive sound-world, and, in Howard Goodall’s phrase, “replacing sentimentality with anxiety.” Born in New York in 1911, Herrmann had studied at the Juilliard School of Music before joining CBS radio in 1934, quickly teaming up with a young Orson Welles to score his radio plays, including the notorious War of the Worlds. Welles was to give him carte blanche on the music for Citizen Kane, including the freedom to orchestrate and conduct his score (something on which Herrmann was subsequently to insist). When he won an Oscar for his next score, The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941), he found he had to put aside his concert and conducting ambitions to fulfil his rapidly expanding film commitments. Although remarkably versatile, Herrmann proved particularly adept at scoring dark psychological melodramas, such as Hangover Square (1945) and On Dangerous Ground (1951), and it was perhaps inevitable that he would be teamed eventually with master of suspense and artist of anxiety Alfred Hitchcock. Their subsequent partnership resulted in a composer-director relationship unmatched in film history for creativity, flair and cinematic symbiosis. When the two fell out over Torn Curtain (1966), it proved a disaster for Hitchcock, but Herrmann enjoyed continued success until bowing out with Taxi Driver, completing the recording sessions on Christmas Eve in 1975 and then dying that evening in his hotel. Fantasy, romance, nostalgia, tenderness: it’s all there in Herrmann, as is his unsurpassable capacity in getting under a film’s skin and inside the characters’ heads to give full reign to their dark desires. Much imitated, fundamentally inimitable (as both Martin Scorsese and Gus Van Sant conceded when they reused Herrmann’s original scores for their remakes of Cape Fear and Psycho, respectively), Herrmann remains the giant of film music against whom all other contenders must measure themselves. - Neil Sinyard.

he did jason and the argonauts aswell.

i wanna take my lady to see taxi driver, not least cause shes never seen it. that along with north by northwest.

i swear to god though if i hear people chat through either of those movies im going to give up on going to the cinema.

i swear to god though if i hear people chat through either of those movies im going to give up on going to the cinema.

You need not worry about that sorta crack at the ifi - you'd be fucking shot if you sneezed. I believe they're called the ifi nazis. I had a nasty altercation with one when I went to see 'Dogville' moons ago. The cunt tried to force a tissue on me. It was my knees in the back of the chair for her (all the more painful as it was cinema 2 I'm sure!)

You need not worry about that sorta crack at the ifi - you'd be fucking shot if you sneezed. I believe they're called the ifi nazis. I had a nasty altercation with one when I went to see 'Dogville' moons ago. The cunt tried to force a tissue on me. It was my knees in the back of the chair for her (all the more painful as it was cinema 2 I'm sure!)

jaysus.

still, have u ever tried going to see a movie in the uci coolock. grim.

I got a free ticket for 'Vertigo' yesterday whilst queuing for a ticket. Some woman just handed me a ticket and refused to let me reimburse her. Now that was lovely.

the ifi nazis..one of them gave out to me and my fren during Blue Velvet
and then anytime there was sexual violence on the screen he'd get really excited and start rocking around in his chair
it was creepy

i'm persisting with this thread...

I went to see 'Citizen Kane' on Thursday there. Really liked it, hadn't seen it before. Wanted it to go on forever, in a good way. I was comfy though (nearly lying on the floor so I was...)

Brilliant acting, cinematography and editing. I feel like that Joseph Cotten character a lot. Love Welles as an actor, there's a lot of humour in his acting, even (or maybe particularly) in the more serious scenes.
It was a seriously groundbreaking film in it's day. I think it's a bit absurd to suggest that it would still be the best film ever made.

Everyone has their own favourites.

Has anyone seen Taxi Driver yet? Is it a tasty looking print?

i can't wait to see The Birds on sunday..i'm tempted to fill a bag full of budgies and let them loose half way through..talking budgies that just say "we're budgies" over and over again

i can't wait to see The Birds on sunday..i'm tempted to fill a bag full of budgies and let them loose half way through..talking budgies that just say "we're budgies" over and over again

I'm really looking forward to it as well. Probably should book a ticket for this.

DON'T YOU DARE! that's all I'm going to say about your budgie idea.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back