The Fall (the film) (1 Viewer)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
This has nothing to do with Mark E. Smiths's lot. It looks like it could be an amazing film though, it was made by a director who normally makes ads and music videos completly without CGI and all out of his own pocket. Reviews are really good so far, I hope this gets some sort of theatric release over here.

In this era of digital special effects, we've become accustomed to the idea that by manipulating pixels on a computer screen, filmmakers can show us practically anything in a more or less convincing manner.

And yet The Fall — an independent feature film from Tarsem Singh Dhandwar, a veteran music video and commercial director who uses Tarsem as his professional name — is full of sights that provoke genuine astonishment. There's an underwater shot of an elephant swimming gracefully overhead, a palace courtyard built out of interlocking staircases that might have been designed by M.C. Escher, a village clinging to a mountainside where all of the buildings seem to have been individually painted in subtly different shades of inky blue.

Director David Fincher (Zodiac, Seven), who met Tarsem on the music video circuit and has remained a friend, is listed as "presenting" The Fall along with a fellow music video alumnus, filmmaker Spike Jonze. Fincher said of Tarsem's approach: "He told me when he was going in that 'my production value is going to be the earth; I'm going to use the entire world as my backdrop.'

"I was like, 'What does that mean?' and then I saw that montage where he literally covers 10 countries. I kept asking him, 'That's a matte painting, right?' And he'd say, 'Nope, that was a real place,' and he'd explain where that place was and how he'd found it on some Pepsi commercial or some Audi commercial that he'd done."

Jonze added: "Had a studio done what he did, it would have been an $80 million movie. But he's so experienced at it and knows people in all these countries and knows how to shoot with a tiny crew. That's how he got away with it. But still, he spent his own money, which is insane."
Read the rest of this article here:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sfl-thefall-nytsbjun05,0,7184891.story

THE FALL
Fall1.jpg

Fall2.jpg

http://thefallthemovie.com/ - Official Site & trailer

Roger Eberts Review:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/REVIEWS/805290301/1001/reviews

don't like the look of this at all. it looks like a campy, overblown snoozefest. directors go professionally by a single name, e.g. tarsem or mcg, should be put in stocks and pelted with fruit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back