The English Class (1 Viewer)

I fucking hate badly done accents!
Sean Connery had the right idea. If you can't do the accent, don't do the accent.

I'd rather watch him being a Russian submarine captain with a Scottish accent than watching Harrison Ford being a Russian submarine captain doing a Russian accent badly.

I find it very distracting watching a film with someone doing a dodgy accent.
That's why I can't watch any Gabriel Byrne movies.

I fucking hate badly done accents!
Sean Connery had the right idea. If you can't do the accent, don't do the accent.

I'd rather watch him being a Russian submarine captain with a Scottish accent than watching Harrison Ford being a Russian submarine captain doing a Russian accent badly.

I find it very distracting watching a film with someone doing a dodgy accent.
That's why I can't watch any Gabriel Byrne movies.
On the other hand, is it a good idea to have a wide range of accents in movies like "alexander"? That's why Mel Gibson had a good approach to languages in his films cause nearly nobody could recognize an American or Bulgarian or you-name-it accent in ancient arameian.

I thought the use of different accents in Alexander was done deliberately.
All the characters that came from 1 region had Irish accents while characters from another region had English accents, etc.

I didn't see the film so I'm not sure what accent was supposed to represent what region but I'm pretty sure it was deliberate.

Another bugbear is when they use people with BAD fake New York accents to do a VO. I mean, there are thousands of us here, and there are even well-regarded American voiceover artists on the books of VO agencies who are from those very places! They do the same thing in the States. Get a fucking American to do a bad Irish VO for a Guinness ad, despite there being more Irish people in the US than there are in Ireland.

UGH. Ok, it's not a factor only of RTE. It's just...stupid.

What's silly is that there is no excuse for it only the time difference. With mod'rin technology you can have a guy on the east coast of the US with a mike and we can record him real time here in dublin into Pro Tools HD over a posh ISDN connection with NO LOSS to the quality. It's like they are in the vocal booth next door.

What's silly is that there is no excuse for it only the time difference. With mod'rin technology you can have a guy on the east coast of the US with a mike and we can record him real time here in dublin into Pro Tools HD over a posh ISDN connection with NO LOSS to the quality. It's like they are in the vocal booth next door.

Exactly. There's just no excuse.

Or you could go through the VO agencies, who have yanks on the books and all! It is just as maddening in reverse, if not a bit worse. When I was in the US a few years ago, there was this Guinness ad with hurling on it, and a bad Far and Away VO. I was like, "You're an Irish company,you're showing an Irish sport, and your market contains a lot of ACTUAL Irish people -- what gives?" I'd actually feel less inclined to buy a Guinness in the US because of it. Because if their attitude is, "Sure, they don't know any different," how can I trust they don't do as shoddy a job on their beer? Not that I drink beer, but still....It was maddening that they were too fucking lazy to find an actual Irish person, either in the US or just ring someone in Ireland and get them to do it!

NO EXCUSE FOR IT!

Buuuut, don't they subtitle some Irish movies for the US market?

Perhaps they are worried that Joe American won't understand a genuine Irish accent...

Back on topic: "Not a million Myles away"- Classic The English Class

Buuuut, don't they subtitle some Irish movies for the US market?

Perhaps they are worried that Joe American won't understand a genuine Irish accent...

Back on topic: "Not a million Myles away"- Classic The English Class

I dunno about that. But I do know people over here who had trouble understanding The Departed, which I found amusing because it was like hearing a language I hadn't heard in years but which I understood better than any other.

The thing that pisses me off about it is that some companies (or maybe just the ad companies that they employ) still think it's necessary to use an American accent to convince us that they're a proper, reliable company.

I seen this thing for the first time last night. it's probably the worst television programme i have ever seen and i freely admit that when the actor who plays Myles is murdered i am to be the first suspect.

it's very hard for me to articulate how bad this fucking thing is.

I seen this thing for the first time last night. it's probably the worst television programme i have ever seen and i freely admit that when the actor who plays Myles is murdered i am to be the first suspect.

it's very hard for me to articulate how bad this fucking thing is.

You don't need to articulate it. Mr Jane and I tried to watch this last night, but it was just too unwatchable. Considering how low our viewing standards are, that's an achievement in the wrong direction.

You don't need to articulate it. Mr Jane and I tried to watch this last night, but it was just too unwatchable. Considering how low our viewing standards are, that's an achievement in the wrong direction.

I think I may have stumbled across this while channel surfing yesterday evening. Worst 3.5 seconds of television viewing ever!

I think I may have stumbled across this while channel surfing yesterday evening. Worst 3.5 seconds of television viewing ever!

I know. A real milestone in television. I really thought the badness of The Cassidys couldn't be topped, but I think it has.

It still boggles my mind that a nation that has more funny people per capita than maybe any other nation on earth makes such terribly unwatchable comic television. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

I know. A real milestone in television. I really thought the badness of The Cassidys couldn't be topped, but I think it has.

It still boggles my mind that a nation that has more funny people per capita than maybe any other nation on earth makes such terribly unwatchable comic television. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Due to there not being an inch of originality or innovation within RTE. All they invest their money into is pathetic copy cat shows because they've seen that they've worked overseas.

Remember when they got the transvestite guy to do telly bingo because Lilly Savage was doing the british national loterey. Then when Lilly started doing the loterey dressed normally the Telly Bingo guy started dressing normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back