The End of Limerick FC (as we know it?) (1 Viewer)

Chad

Website
www.myspace.com
It has emerged that the Limerick FC is the subject of a bid from a Polish business consortium.

Blues chairman Danny Drew revealed yesterday that he had been approached by the consortium at the weekend and they want to take over the beleaguered club.

Both parties will meet again in Limerick tomorrow night.

Drew declined to identify the people concerned, but said that the consortium have made a serious approach and they want to become involved in the eircom League.

It is understood that the consortium consists of at least 10 Polish business men, one of whom has an interest in a Polish First Division club.

The group have their homework done, according to Drew. He reckons that, with the Polish population in Ireland now at over 130,000, their plan makes perfect sense.

He said: 'I met with a group of Polish business men on Sunday and they put forward a very serious business plan to take over the club.

'It could mean that Limerick FC will lose its name and its colours, which is a shame, but these people are very serious about becoming involved in the eircom League.

'From my own perspective, I just want to see Limerick remain in the eircom League and if that means a change of name and colours so be it as long as senior soccer survives in this city.

'They fully understand the position we have been left in because of the lease issue at our ground and I am meeting them again tomorrow for further negotiations.'

He added: 'Their plan makes perfect sense because there is a large Polish population in Ireland and straight away they would have a fan base who will immediately identify with the club.'

At present, Limerick FC have two years left on an agreement with tenants Hill Celtic to play at Hogan Park.

Last week it was revealed that another businessman wants to help develop Hogan Park. However, he will not come on board unless the club are allowed buy the ground, or are granted a long-term lease at the venue.

The Blues future is under threat and Drew has set a 1 December deadline to fold the club.

Drew insists that unless they are granted a lease, or are allowed buy the ground, that they will have no other choice but to become the next Dublin City and go out of business.

Fr Joe Young, ex-Limerick FC chairman and a trustee at the venue, told the Blues in February that he would grant them a 25-year lease at the 14-acre site.

However, Fr Young, who was Limerick's chairman in the early 90s, changed his mind and instead promised the FAI the lease last August.

Hogan Park is owned by Peter Hogan who lives in the USA. He has named his son Martin and Fr Young as the two trustees at the 14-acre stadium.

Drew continued: 'Unless we are granted a lease in our name, or are allowed buy the ground, then we will have no other choice but to fold as we cannot continue as a club like this because it is untenable.

'A prominent Limerick business man wants to become involved and he wants to install a full management team and full-time playing staff.

'And now we have a Polish consortium who are interested. As said, my priority is to ensure that senior soccer survives in this city and if someone puts a serious offer on the table I will listen to it.

'The business man concerned and the Polish consortium both understand the position we have been left in because of the broken promises made in relation to the lease.'

Drew is the majority shareholder in the company JRM Sports Limited, the name Limerick FC trade under.

got this from another site. Polska FC anyone?

as Im sure trev will tell ya when he reads this ,Limerick FC as we know it is only about 6 or so years old,and is about the twelfth incarnation of limerick as an LOI team in their history

i know, but still it is nice to have a team that represents the country's third city at the top level...

having witnessed the antics of our chairman/manager of the 2 past two seasons i'm taking this story with the biggest pinch of salt ever!

he is known for making up bullshit stories to get press. for instance when he sacked noel o connor earlier this season the names of brian kerr, curtis fleming and jason mcateer were all mentioned as possible people to fill the vacant managerial position. who took over? none other than our chairman danny drew himself.

of course he is also trying to get a lease and this is the 2nd story in a week from him, the first being that he was gong to wind the whole club up of he didnt get the lease to the ground by dec 1st.

its a tactic to put pressure on the fai to sort the lease out.

it's better then this then if they were to go bankrupt and out of the league

i don't see what a difference a change of ownership will do

they want to change the name and colours, its a big change right there. maybe it doesnt matter that much, but it will be a club exclusively aimed at the polish population. then again trev says the chairman is a twat so it might not happen at all.

another point, that guy romanov at Hearts defines twattish chairmen doesnt he...

more importantly, isn't galway the country's third city??

more importantly? more importantly?

whats more important is that limerick have a club not whether we're the 3rd city.

youre a typical tipperary bogger Ryan... if it isnt a sliothar forget about it.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back