The Da Vinci Code (2 Viewers)

roxy

Website
Visit site
Anyone read it?

I'm looking at Egg.

Cue theological debate round two ding ding.

No seriously though. I believe what he says is true but I still can't train my mind to give up what I was brought up believing as true, yknow? By that I mean I can't suddenly stop believing the creed as put forward by the Bible.

There's a lot to take in in the book. Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene? They had a child called Sarah? And that's just the beginning.

Is it scary that I can read it and then just carry on with life without feeling conned by the Bible?

yeah I read it. Really good book. You can't but help thinking that Dan Browns priority in writing the book was to get his message across rather than to tell the story.Hes seems pro christian but anti-church.

I not sure I ever bought the stuff in the bible. Just didn't make any sense to me.

It's deadly though, 'cause after he claimed that the apostle to the left of Jesus in Da Vinici's Last supper is in fact mary Magdelene (i.e. a female and not a male) I went to have a look:
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/L/leonardo/lastsupp.jpg.html
and it actually is. Never new that.

roxy said:
Anyone read it?

I'm looking at Egg.

Cue theological debate round two ding ding.

No seriously though. I believe what he says is true but I still can't train my mind to give up what I was brought up believing as true, yknow? By that I mean I can't suddenly stop believing the creed as put forward by the Bible.

There's a lot to take in in the book. Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene? They had a child called Sarah? And that's just the beginning.

Is it scary that I can read it and then just carry on with life without feeling conned by the Bible?

Look to the one on jesus's's's' right. its a woman. You can zoom in on that link I posted earlier.

Stacy said:
havent read the book. but theres twelve apostles in the painting. if that mary m then :confused:

"one little two little three little indians..."

I think thats the start of it.

Also, check out the hand which is not attached to anyone (holding the dagger) it's behind the shoulder of the guy sitting down on jesus right

Stacy said:
fair enough... but someone is missing then.. how does that apostle song go again?

!bing

apparantly the ghost hand with the knife is the twelfth apostle

lastsupper2.jpg

If we actually believe for a moment in the Mary Theory, then Da Vinci was trying to be subtle about this and not in-your-face. If he had actually included 12 apostles AND Mary AND Jesus it would have been outrageous to most religious people of the time, and the painting might have been painted over again. So he had to have "12 people" with Jesus and keep it a quiet message. Peter is the one he replaced with Mary because those who glanced at the painting would assume that Mary *was* John (who was always the effeminate one) and not put any more thought into it.
-- source

Personally, I thought the Da Vinci code was an awful book. Terribly written and unoriginal. And I resent the fact that in spite of this, I couldn't put it down.

FancyGoods said:
It's deadly though, 'cause after he claimed that the apostle to the left of Jesus in Da Vinici's Last supper is in fact mary Magdelene (i.e. a female and not a male) I went to have a look:
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/L/leonardo/lastsupp.jpg.html
and it actually is. Never new that.
How do you know it's her? Ok, the figure appears to be somewhat effeminate, but it doesn't prove that it's Mary Magdalene or even that it's a woman. Early Renaissance art often depicts young men as kinda girly. Or even really girly.

I haven't read the book, nor do I plan to, and I hesitate to ask what the whole point of it is. That the bible isn't 'true'? Big whoop. Any decent theologian could have told you that. My mother told me she was reading this book and I asked her how it was, having had it recommended to me by several people. She said, 'Jane, this book would make you very angry. Stay far away from it, and if you don't listen to me, then don't call me up with your bitching,' implying that it was just the sort of pseudo-academic Graham Hancocky wank that drives me mental and makes me shoot fire out of my eyes.

unoriginal it was. but thats what I meant about Dan Brown trying to get his message across. I think he just incapsulated it in 'bestseller' form so it would reach loadsa people.
Still think it was a good oul read though. I do hate his writing style ,though.

For example "She realised suddenly what the symbol really meant..this changed everything..it meant...wait for it..." then "Chapter 12 - Billy was walking throught the forest when it dawned on him who the real killer was...it was...wait for it..." then "Chapter 13 - Angie was dancing with george when suddenly she realised why the priest had been attacked..it was because...wait for it ....wait for it..." then "chapter 14 etc etc etc"

It's infuriating. Trying to keep up the 'suspense' the whole time. its just annoying.

THRILLHO said:
-- source

Personally, I thought the Da Vinci code was an awful book. Terribly written and unoriginal. And I resent the fact that in spite of this, I couldn't put it down.

I wasn't saying it prooves anything. I was just saying that it's what the book says and that when I went to check up on it, it was, in fact, a woman.

The book isn't pseudo-acedemic either, it's just a novel. You don't read novels expecting them to be acedemic.

jane said:
How do you know it's her? Ok, the figure appears to be somewhat effeminate, but it doesn't prove that it's Mary Magdalene or even that it's a woman.

FancyGoods said:
I wasn't saying it prooves anything. I was just saying that it's what the book says and that when I went to check up on it, it was, in fact, a woman.

The book isn't pseudo-acedemic either, it's just a novel. You don't read novels expecting them to be acedemic.
But just because it looks like a woman to you doesn't mean it's a woman, or that it would have been read as a female figure by a contemporary viewer. In Renaissance art, young men were very often depicted as very effeminate. Even Jeebus himself, deprived of his beard, would look like a chick in a lot of images.

I didn't even know it was a novel. Pseudointellectual, then.

"But just because it looks like a woman to you doesn't mean it's a woman"
-I can't argue against that point. But ,yes, I do think it is supposed to be a woman.

" Even Jeebus himself, deprived of his beard"
-yeah. but he has a beard!

I don't even think the book was psuedo-intellectual. Maybe a little bit, because the foundation for the book was based on actual theories and facts.

It's just a good read. but then again I like The adventures of Tintin.

jane said:
But just because it looks like a woman to you doesn't mean it's a woman, or that it would have been read as a female figure by a contemporary viewer. In Renaissance art, young men were very often depicted as very effeminate. Even Jeebus himself, deprived of his beard, would look like a chick in a lot of images.

jane said:

No Jane, see, the whole impetus behind the book is the fact that Da Vinci was one of several famous people down the centuries who was a Grand Master of the Priory of Sion, a group which believed that the Bible was an untrue account of happenings, that Jesus married Mary Magdalene, that he intended her to continue as head of the Church, that Peter was jealous of this (hence Da Vinci depicting his hand reaching out across her neck in a slash slash motion) and that women were thus denied their intended vocation as leaders of the Church. Oh and that they had a child called Sarah and therefore there exists a bloodline ascended directly from Jesus.

The point is just that Da Vinci belived in this theory and he hid codes in his art depicting his beliefs. And The Last Supper is just one of them.

I don't really think there is much doubt that the figure at Jesus' right hand is meant to be Mary.

Anyone read any of Brown's other books? I want to read the one on the Bavarian Illuminati. Crazy muddas.

roxy said:
No Jane, see, the whole impetus behind the book is the fact that Da Vinci was one of several famous people down the centuries who was a Grand Master of the Priory of Sion, a group which believed that the Bible was an untrue account of happenings, that Jesus married Mary Magdalene, that he intended her to continue as head of the Church, that Peter was jealous of this (hence Da Vinci depicting his hand reaching out across her neck in a slash slash motion) and that women were thus denied their intended vocation as leaders of the Church. Oh and that they had a child called Sarah and therefore there exists a bloodline ascended directly from Jesus.

The point is just that Da Vinci belived in this theory and he hid codes in his art depicting his beliefs. And The Last Supper is just one of them.

I don't really think there is much doubt that the figure at Jesus' right hand is meant to be Mary.

Anyone read any of Brown's other books? I want to read the one on the Bavarian Illuminati. Crazy muddas.

I read the davinci code. Lots of historians claim he is hazy on the facts, e.g. the louvre pyramid (commissioned by mitterand) is made of 666 panes of glass ... a google will show you that some say its true and some say its not

brown mentions the book "the holy blood and the holy grail" in his book. He ripped off Sauniers name from the priest.

this website has loads more info:
http://www.tour-magdala.com

check this out too:
http://www.tour-magdala.com/Pages/Geometry/RLC/Frames/Sacred_Geometry_Frame.html

roxy said:

But why bother with all this guff? None of it can ever be proven?
I haven't read the book, but it seems like it might be this decades 'Chariot Of The Gods'. For those who have never heard of it, it is a book about alien civilisations visiting us thousands of years ago and some garbage about the pyramids.

Lifes too short for this nonsense.
Don't necessarily mean you personally, Roxy.
I don't understand why people read this stuff but think Jehovahs witnesses are nutcases. Its ALL garbage.
But I am an atheist, what do you expect?

Phew! Rant over. Now breathe..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back