the child abuse commission (1 Viewer)

Where are the Vatican/Rome in all of this? Haven't heard a peep out of them. And if there's any claim by the orders or CORI that they can't afford to pay any money, then Rome should stump up the bill. Cunts.

I can't get the rte player to work but here's the video of the guy's response to the panal

YouTube - QandA May 25th - response to question on Ryan Commission Report

It misses out on the panal disscussion that preceeded it and perhaps it would be better to see them together in context but for the most part what was said is typical of what's been said all week.

just watched this now and challenge anyone to and not get a lump in their throat and tears in their eyes. This shit is fucked up,so sad. There must be some way to bring these absolute bastards to justice.

When he talks about them still appearing at the end of his bed to this day, beckoning to him with their fingers, that was one of the scariest things I've ever heard.

I've only had a quick look through the report. Was there any evidence of actual premeditated collusion? Obviously people knew what was going on - I remember hearing about these things myself, and even knowing one person who was abused. So of course the clergy knew what was going on. And it's clear they tried to cover it up. But considering how small Ireland is, and considering the numbers of abused, I find it hard to believe there wasn't actual, conscious collusion between abusers going on wholesale--like "wink wink, so-and-so won't talk if you have a go on him".

saw someone post this on joss's facebook page, good idea

"I call on all those Irish people who were brought up as Catholics, and no longer consider themselves to be Catholics, to go to their diocese and officially leave the church. I've heard there's a bit of paperwork involved, but we should not be counted in a census as being Catholics. It's a small gesture, but a way to begin the process of separation of church and state. These low lifes should not be able to exaggerate how many people they represent."

I think the real issue is the cover up.

You get the impression listening to the debate that no one has ever been abused in Ireland except by a priest.

It's pretty inevitable that in any large population there will be paedophiles. The issue for me is that this particular group of men and women were allowed free reign to exercise their appetites and subsequently protected from any consequences.

Reducing the conversation to:
All priests are paedophiles
or
All paedophiles are priests
is wrong.

The question is not why did these evil people do what they did - it's why did the institution they belong to allow them to do it again and again and then try to protect them.

everybody knew about some kinda shit that went on in those places...it just wasn't the done thing to do the right thing and thats been the irish way for many a situation and many a year.

we have alot of questions to ask ourselves like why we, the irish, don't command a level of national integrity that impresses upon those in authority that they might get their heads fuckin kicked in by 'the people' if they flagrantly behave without even the slightest pretence of giving a fuck what the nation needs like the Bishops and Govenors of the middle ages...i'm repeatedly reminded of The Lord Of The Flies when I think of Ireland trying to act responsibly...just the idea of kids failing to convincingly mimic the rule of civilised law.

have there been any cases of priests/christian brothers getting murdered because of this in the past 10 years?

everybody knew about some kinda shit that went on in those places...it just wasn't the done thing to do the right thing and thats been the irish way for many a situation and many a year.

thats valid, but you have to take into account the level of political fear mongering the church got up to at that point. especially at grass roots level. i'm pretty sure a regular priest could have more influence than a regular garda on a small community. nation wise, going out on a limb i'd suggest that we fell into some post revolution religious euphoria?

However, guess who pays the bill if there is comp to be paid? The State does, not the church. The church's total bill for the redress board was capped at €127 million. They ONLY pay out if compensation comes from the redress board. The State has agreed to cover private prosecutions. Scandalous.

Agreed, many of these orders have propertys worth millions, are still supporting thousands of brothers, ex-brothers, various staff and adminstrations... this should all be seized, audited and redistributed, some set aside for the order to operate at a bare, bare, minimal level (in fairness none these groups are going to be around much longer, not many young people signing up to the Christian Brothers these days) and rest taken by the state to contribute to the compensation fund

I would be the first to appreciate that these orders are full of people who want to do do good work and such, but doing to under the banner of "The Church", as if this is some mafioso untouchables deal, is no longer practical

between this and the banks we're paying for a lot of awful peoples mistakes

I asked one of the brothers in the cbs I went to (would have been about '98 or so) what he thought about this and he said that they're all making it up. A lot of Irish people are fucked in the head.

I asked one of the brothers in the cbs I went to (would have been about '98 or so) what he thought about this and he said that they're all making it up. A lot of Irish people are fucked in the head.

another aul fella (or maybe the same) on Q&A was saying that the most notorious brother in Galway had effectively admitted to all charges levelled against him but the brave Church still accused his accusers of bare-faced making-it-up.

Agreed, many of these orders have propertys worth millions, are still supporting thousands of brothers, ex-brothers, various staff and adminstrations...
it'd be interesting to see how much of that is non-school property.

i imagine demanding all the capitation money back is a legal non-starter, but i like the concept. make them refund it. considering they were not giving the kids the care the amount of money warranted. over a certain period (can't remember the exact period), the money averaged 122% of the dole.

Please add your name to this petition if you think that clerics who have abused children should be brought to justice.
Oh for goodness' sake

Dude, clerics are subject to the law the same as everyone else, and lots of them have gone to jail. There's no point signing a petition that says "the law should be applied" when the law is already being applied. Inform yourself, then campaign for something that we don't already have

Oh for goodness' sake

Dude, clerics are subject to the law the same as everyone else, and lots of them have gone to jail. There's no point signing a petition that says "the law should be applied" when the law is already being applied. Inform yourself, then campaign for something that we don't already have

I fairness Egg, i think what is being got at here is the fact that any information held by the redress board concerning a particular abuser CANNOT be used against them in a prosecution. This does not mean that the abuser has immunity, just that no prosecutions can arise from any information given to the redress board.

In effect, the redress board scheme was instituted in order to allow the victims to claim compensation, not to bring the abusers to justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back