that pitchfork people's list thing (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
donald clarke pretty much nailed it i think

As far as the records go, the main body of the survey only served to confirm how depressingly predictable consumers of supposedly alternative music really are. Radiohead were at number one (OK Computer) and number two (Kid A). Also in the top 10 we find similarly white, student friendly bands such as Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Strokes and, well, Radiohead again. The only black artist who figures in any way significantly is well known “gay fish” Kanye West.

It was ever thus. In the late 19th century, the likes of Paul Morley and Ian Penman used to try and woo NME readers away from their tunnel-visioned devotion to The Jam and The Stranglers. It didn’t really happen.

funny because it's true etc.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/scr...os-talking-about-pop-culture-on-the-internet/

it's not a controversial statement that if you take a poll of a particular demographic, that you get an averaged out view of what people listen to.

donald clarke pretty much nailed it i think

funny because it's true etc.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/scr...os-talking-about-pop-culture-on-the-internet/

Readership of a website that covers mostly the music of white indie rockers (but who also bigs up Kanye and Jay-Z) in returning a poll of favourite albums made up of white indie-rockers (with occasional appearences by Kanye* and Jay-Z) shocker.

It's not funny, or interesting because it's so pointless and dull. These things, by virtue of the level of participation are always going to sand down any particualr idiosyncratic choices that are made by individuals and return the stuff that appears often high up.

* I saw occasional, I think that along with Radiohead he had 5 albums in the poll.

In the late 19th century, the likes of Paul Morley and Ian Penman used to try and woo NME readers away from their tunnel-visioned devotion to The Jam and The Stranglers

How prescient of them.

it's not a controversial statement that if you take a poll of a particular demographic, that you get an averaged out view of what people listen to.

he covers that too

What really interests me here, however, are the demographics of the electorate. Beneath a little graph, the compliers have informed us that: “Data represents only contributors to the People’s List and is not indicative of Pitchfork’s overall demographics”. They’d better hope that’s right. A quite stunning 88 percent of those who submitted ballots were male. Virtually none of them were over 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back