Teletext switches off in January (1 Viewer)

Wheels

Website
www.delicious9.com
Who here used to read Planet Sound? Or have a go at Bambozzle before starting your ecker?

The joy of Teletext

It was ahead of its time … unless you needed a page to load

In pictures: Gallery of Teletext images

Teletext-page-001.jpg
Teletext, in happier times

How to describe Teletext to the Twitter generation? Imagine a clunky internet with an insufferably slow dialup connection, only less interactive and with a strictly limited amount of content.
Except in many regards, Teletext (like its ITV predecessor Oracle and the BBC's equivalent, Ceefax) was way ahead of its time.
Up-to-the minute news and weather, real-time scoreboards from football, cricket and snooker, cheap last-minute holidays and on Channel 4's text service, 4-Tel, something called Debbie's Diary, the daily diary of a nobody which had me and my fellow students completely addicted. It was a bit like Bellede Jour but without the sauce. What's not to like?
Well, quite a lot, actually. If it was like the web, then it was the web played out on a Sinclair ZX81 (don't ask me to explain one of those as well).
Part of the unique experience of Teletext was waiting for the next page, and boy could they take a long time to load. The urge to change channels was overwhelming, only occasionally abated by the option of merging the text with your television picture.
Back when I was watching Oracle during the long school summer holidays in the early 1980s, this had the advantage of enabling you to watch the Sullivans at the same time on ITV, but the disadvantage of rendering most of the text illegible. Press the wrong button and you had to start all over again. Gah!
Every now and again, waiting to find out the local cinema times (when is Superman II showing at the ABC Sidcup?) it felt like it would have been quicker to go to the shops and buy a local newspaper instead.

One advantage to teletext is it provides essential information, in a fairly straightforward manner. Many websites that contain the same information are badly designed or generally just over complicated.

this is actually the saddest thing in the world ever, thumped is like a planet sound for pricks. and where will I be without channel 4's teenage problem pages??

I heart teletext. Anyone wanna write a crap concept album about it with me?

How else will I instantly find out what's on now and next on 10 seperate channels or have constant goal updates or get the cinema times without internet access :mad:

this is actually the saddest thing in the world ever, thumped is like a planet sound for pricks. and where will I be without channel 4's teenage problem pages??

I heart teletext. Anyone wanna write a crap concept album about it with me?

I will. I used to read both Planet Sound and the teen pages. I'd be interested to see some lists of Planet Sound's yearly top albums actually, they always had good choices (or so it seemed to me at the time).

I loved staying up late and waiting for the new Digitiser or Planet Sound to appear. Think John Earls has started a record label now.

I will. I used to read both Planet Sound and the teen pages. I'd be interested to see some lists of Planet Sound's yearly top albums actually, they always had good choices (or so it seemed to me at the time).

at least one song will be about Peter Pinsent and Geri Halliwell :(

also, remember how crap the Vibe was in comparison? Ceefax fail

bamboozle, planet sound, teenage problem page, all great. the best was the celebrity gossip pages. it was where i used to get all my info on pete doherty's latest escapades

i remember getting megadrive / playstation cheats from Ceefax, channel 4 and the RTE one that sometimes was cheats and others a review.
teletext is deadly. still quicker to see whats on TV than looking for a paper or reaching for the laptop.

It all started to fall apart when aertel moved the live football scores off page 221. I'm going to miss seeing the irish goalscorers names in bright green and deciefering things like

E&? ton ! Chrls£A 0
Saqw 22 T£rry (5€nt 0ff)

It was like being the fucking Bourne Identity.

my favourite is watching something live likea football match with teletext subtitles on and the subtitles are 20 seconds behind

<sigh>

My mum is going to be devestated, she is literally addicted to fecking teletext/aertel etc. The worst thing I ever did was show her how to use it. She hogs the effing telly to look at all sorts of shite on it, and she has a fecking laptop!

lovely eggs are also in there so that's good by me.

but then their sound of 2010 includes Drums and Ellie Goulding who i'm already sick to death of despite hearing about 1 song by each of them.

What a predicament!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back