Technologically stunted, require help with massive bag of crap laptop? (1 Viewer)

jonah

This is probably a completely basic problem, but my nerd credentials are firmly banked in other trades, so I was hoping someone could help me.

Ok bought a Toshbia laptop 12 days ago and after one day I had to return it because the computer wouldn't boot at all.
Anyway, I was given a replacement, same model and so on. Its been working absolutely fine, but last night the screen started to flicker and then went dark. I can still see the screen content if I squint or shine a light on it so presumably its a problem with the back light or something (I've adjusted all the brightness preferences to be sure and its definitely not just a display problem)

Anyway, I'm sort of really angry because right now being without a laptop on a daily basis is the worst thing that could happen, and I need it imperatively for various urgent projects.

Its covered under a 1 year limited standard warranty by Toshiba, but obviously that means it'll be gone for 10 days or whatever.Presumably I could return it to the store (I'm not sure if that would work or if my only real option is to go through my warranty), but I've already done this once and this fucking model just seems to be a massive ball of fail.

Who even knows what I'm asking at this point, but obviously I'm stuck...

go back to the shop and demand a complete refund. then buy a different laptop.

you're completely entitled to a complete refund on the first one going bang, let alone the replacement going the same way.
don't let them tell you otherwise.

This is probably a completely basic problem, but my nerd credentials are firmly banked in other trades, so I was hoping someone could help me.

Ok bought a Toshbia laptop 12 days ago and after one day I had to return it because the computer wouldn't boot at all.
Anyway, I was given a replacement, same model and so on. Its been working absolutely fine, but last night the screen started to flicker and then went dark. I can still see the screen content if I squint or shine a light on it so presumably its a problem with the back light or something (I've adjusted all the brightness preferences to be sure and its definitely not just a display problem)

Anyway, I'm sort of really angry because right now being without a laptop on a daily basis is the worst thing that could happen, and I need it imperatively for various urgent projects.

Its covered under a 1 year limited standard warranty by Toshiba, but obviously that means it'll be gone for 10 days or whatever.Presumably I could return it to the store (I'm not sure if that would work or if my only real option is to go through my warranty), but I've already done this once and this fucking model just seems to be a massive ball of fail.

Who even knows what I'm asking at this point, but obviously I'm stuck...

demand a refund from the shop.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e..._rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do

Thanks guys! My dad's girlfriend got the computer from the shop she works in, so I think I'll be relatively OK in getting a refund or if not then a replacement. It's a good thing that she works there but also a bad thing... ugh, its so annoying. I could definitely burst into tears over this, so I will keep that in the bank if required.

Just so you all know chaps, I got all of my money back! I didn't have to cry or nothing.

Knowing that quote from the sales of goods and services act is absolutely essential and has gotten me out of several scrapes in the past.

Often times retailers will try and fob you off by telling you "Our warranty doesn't cover this situation" or "Our store policy is does not cover this kind of refund / exchange". Once you quote the sales of goods and services act, and say that it's under that that your asking for a refund / exchange and not their store policy, they often change their tune. Especially, if necessary, you mention that you're prepared to take it to the small claims court.

you should meet my da. the number of refunds, apologies, and free credit he has gotten over the years is great.
he got me two years free UPC at one point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back