taxi strikes (2 Viewers)

It's very hard to make a living as a taxi driver now. The ones that do okay have to do literally unsafe hours.
However, I think this is a particular service that needed to be deregulated and the result is, in the long term, going to be that there will only be as many drivers as can make a living. The rest are going to have to do something else and, basically, tough.
they made a balls of the deregulation. there seem to be no standards surrounding the cars they're allowed drive, or else those standards are unenforced. a 12 year old corolla should not be pressed into service as a PSV.

It's very hard to make a living as a taxi driver now. The ones that do okay have to do literally unsafe hours.
However, I think this is a particular service that needed to be deregulated and the result is, in the long term, going to be that there will only be as many drivers as can make a living. The rest are going to have to do something else and, basically, tough.

Make all existing cabs illegal. Then leave a a set number of bright green cabs dotted around the phoenix park, whoever finds them gets to keep them.

they made a balls of the deregulation. there seem to be no standards surrounding the cars they're allowed drive, or else those standards are unenforced. a 12 year old corolla should not be pressed into service as a PSV.

True. Also, the prices aren't deregulated. I believe they're set by the Taxi Regulator. So the over-supply isn't reflected in the prices. Everyone loses.

Last review was done in 2008 ffs. http://www.taxireg.ie/about/latest-news/latest-news.html. They set the minimum fare.

A lot of flights are cheaper than the taxi fare to the airport.

Totally shit the way Irish taxi drivers feel the need to rant at their passengers. Last taxi driver I spoke to was an out and out conspiracy theorist/nutjob. And they're telling you - it's not up for discussion. You get the odd good one, but none of them are content to let you sit there and relax.

i know someone who was going to the airport with three mates, for a week long holiday, and they booked a taxi. a 206 turned up.

the taxi drivers have a genuine beef - that the deregulation (god bless the free market ethos) was a farce, but it does raise the question as to whether the taxi market should be regulated. i don't mean unlicenced - there should be minimum standards in vehicle size, age, driver competency, etc.

as regards deregulating the price though - who decides the price if it is deregulated? if the drivers were allowed decide individually, it'd be an unholy mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back