Suspects forced to give DNA samples under new legislation (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
People suspected of a crime will be forced to give DNA samples to gardaí, under plans for a DNA database which have been approved by the government.

The samples of suspects in criminal cases, as well as those convicted of crimes, will be held in the database, under radical new legislation to be published next month.

It will pave the way for gardaí to take body samples - including hair, saliva, urine, nail clippings or blood - from suspects who are in custody for offences carrying a jail sentence of five years or more.

The legislation will allow gardaí to use ‘‘reasonable force’’ to take samples in cases where the suspect refuses to allow it. The samples of convicted criminals and sex offenders will be stored permanently. Suspects who are later released without charge or are acquitted in court will still have their DNA stored on the database for three years.

http://www.thepost.ie/news/ireland/...-dna-samples-under-new-legislation-46388.html

this seems completely reasonable to me.

Its being used as a means of identification, they take your photograph, write down your name, make a note of your SSN, and take a DNA sample. If you are suspected/convicted of a crime you cannot turn around and say "you can;t take my photo because it steals my soul". This fear of ID by DNA is on the same order as that.

What are people worried about?

If your DNA turns up inside a raped woman's vagina, or under the nails of a dead aul fella, or on the groove of the handle of a sawn off used in a robbery I think its reasonable that the coppers can check, and then drop round your gaff to ask you to explain why this is the case.

DNA is a very good way to put someone at the scene of a crime, and a very good way to exonerate them. Obviously it's not perfect, but it's much better than an eye witness.

i completely disagree. it's ridiculous.
individual 24-hour cctv coverage of every person in existence would sort ALL this stuff out.

Why though?
The reason I am completely in favour of usage of DNA is because it generally exonerates the innocent, and implicates the guilty.

There is (about) one person in the world with a specific DNA molecule. If that molecule is found under the fingernails of a raped girl etc, then I would like to know why. I would like to be able to drop around to the owner's house that night and ask them.

The fact of the matter is crimes take place, people are hurt, and other people do the crime, and people are prosecuted. What are the alternatives for identification? Eye witness is notoriously bad at identifying people, and DNA evidence is very good. People have been killed / put away for this time and again.

People are not very good at identifying other people on sight, this is simply true.

Either you ID the person to the best ability you have available to you, or you should not bother at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back