Suits, formalwear, yaddayadda... (1 Viewer)

Bellatrix

Totally beyond me.

I know from recent personal experience that some women can look really elegant in suits but I always look dishevelled and vaguely rakish.

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid looking like you're torn between Dickensian pick-pocketing and hitting on waitresses?

have you ever seen/read Tipping The Velvet by sarah waters? girls in suits is drool

tipping_1_1024.jpg

Totally beyond me.

I know from recent personal experience that some women can look really elegant in suits but I always look dishevelled and vaguely rakish.

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid looking like you're torn between Dickensian pick-pocketing and hitting on waitresses?

aren't you a student bum again? I thought all student wore were cords from eager beaver (for the indie kids) and leinster rugby jersies (for the jocks).

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread there Eef but I need a nice dress for an awards ceremony thing this coming friday and dont want to spend much on it coz i have to get something GORGEOUS AND DEADLY for my sister's wedding in 6 weeks. (She's not having bridesmaids).

Just want somethiing that will see me through (it's a blacktie event) but which doesn't cost much. Kirstie said a while back that Dunnes have some surprisingly nice dresses...? Might look there.

Anyway, Bella, I think pencil skirts are a good way to do suit chic without looking to auld or butch.

suits are a complete waste of money. Just buy on black trousers suit with a matching pencil skirt (a per Roxy's suggestion) and then work around it with nice shoes, tops, hair stuff etc. and try to stay away from dry clean only stuff as it's a complete waste of time. girl i know in work is rocking the pencil skirt, long top/jumper and waist belt look and she looks fab. maybe try that.

aren't you a student bum again? I thought all student wore were cords from eager beaver (for the indie kids) and leinster rugby jersies (for the jocks).

Yeah, I'm mostly alternating the rugby jersey look with the Abercrombie & Ugg boots vibe but unfortunately my college is a big fan of arcane (and strictly white-tie) ceremonies.

Pencil skirts, eh?

rakish is nice. the slept-in polyester look, which is usually where i've ended up, not so much.

skirts seem to look much smarter automatically, but i think just finding a suit that fits and a shirt that buttons firmly closed is the tricky bit.

and accessories and a decent haircut probably add to the smartness. or at least, i can confirm that messenger bags and home hair-hackings definitely don't.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread there Eef but I need a nice dress for an awards ceremony thing this coming friday and dont want to spend much on it coz i have to get something GORGEOUS AND DEADLY for my sister's wedding in 6 weeks. (She's not having bridesmaids).

By the by, Roxerz, a friend of mine had to go to a ball last night and she bought a an amazing black strapless dress in Debenhams and accessorised it with a wide leather belt.

It looked pretty great and only cost about €120.

Totally beyond me.

You need to go for the Annie Hall look.
http://img.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/020131/114624__annie_l.jpg
and if you can pull off that look, I'm going to ask you to marry me.

p.s. I'm talking about Diane Keaton in Annie Hall, not Woody.

whatever about what type of formal wear you'll end up wearing, please bear in mind, power-walking through town at 8.30am with yer latest white asics/reebok runners whilst holding the Brown Thomas bag that contains your work shoes is not hott.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back