stupid stickers....playing into their hands (2 Viewers)

demonica said:
didn't go on the march honey bunch! i'm about as radical as donatelo (the least radical turtle)........
But there was also that kid they made an honorary turtle, he'd be less radical than donatelo. :)

mc moley said:
yeah i heard that on the radjo.

i totally agree with the original post....i dont even understand the mentality behind making a sticker like that. its intimidating and rediculous.
to be honest i myself have been turned off anarchism by slogans and mentalities such as that sticker. What do people try to achieve by it?
i honestly dont understand. although i share a lot of views common to anarchism its things like that that make me cringe and the mention of the word.

so please if anybody is planning some direct action or anything that involves violence or intimidation please dont. your point probably wont be made and youl get ur head bashed my angry gards and the whole thing will be in vein.[sic]
read this thread because some1 told me about it, could reply to a lot of posts but this one will do, it's the most idiotic.

The image on the sticker in question was of a zapatista - ppl who took up arms to defend (and are still defending) their lives and indigenous communities from neoliberal-capitalism, but it doesnt even seem like you have seen this sticker you are so opposed to. Other stickers had images of ppl pulling down the fence in quebec and various other "radical" images from around the globe.

Being turned off an ideologly because of the other ppl who share it and by the way in which they interperate it sounds like you are more concerned about image than ideas.

As for asking ppl not to take direct action fuck that, if they try to criminalise protest then i will fight for and defend my right to protest.

Everything is made so black and white on this forum, it's rediculous.

Ok
So the sticker was to convince who to go to the demo? People in general? Or to impress your precious foreigners?
I mean, if here, on a punk forum, people who saw it thought it was pictures of people with guns and people with sticks, how are people who have never heard of zapatistas supposed to know what the stickers mean?

As for 'May 1st this city burns', that is about the most idiotic thing ever.
How are people ever going to think anything positive about anarchy, look into it or be in any way convinced by the point of view if that is the image of it they see.

People in ireland are becoming more and more afraid of protesters and anarchists, obviously being afraid of one extreme can push people the other way.

I dont understand the motivation behind so many things that you do. I'm baffled.

weeler said:
read this thread because some1 told me about it, could reply to a lot of posts but this one will do, it's the most idiotic.

The image on the sticker in question was of a zapatista - ppl who took up arms to defend (and are still defending) their lives and indigenous communities from neoliberal-capitalism, but it doesnt even seem like you have seen this sticker you are so opposed to. Other stickers had images of ppl pulling down the fence in quebec and various other "radical" images from around the globe.

Being turned off an ideologly because of the other ppl who share it and by the way in which they interperate it sounds like you are more concerned about image than ideas.

As for asking ppl not to take direct action fuck that, if they try to criminalise protest then i will fight for and defend my right to protest.

Everything is made so black and white on this forum, it's rediculous.
I think it's ridiculous not rediculous, correct me if i'm wrong.
what's may 1st this city burns all about was it a sticker? was it meant to be taken literally?

weeler said:
as for asking ppl not to take direct action fuck that, if they try to criminalise protest then i will fight for and defend my right to protest.
i said please dont involve yourself in direct action that involves violence.
not please dont involve yourself in direct action.

and anyway i was just expressin how i feel...nothing idiotic about that.

but honestly weeler explain to me how dressing in all black, which looks very intimidating and using force, clashing with the riot police, giving them reason to use the water cannons (thats all they needed to justify the spending of taxpayers money) makes a point for all the world to see.especially when you use slogans such as this city will burn?
would sitting there in a peaceful protest and not giving them anychance whatsoever to justify the vast amount of money spent. look alot worse for the government and make the general people unhappy with the way their government is being run and the money wasted and look for alternatives? such as grass root politics?

i support your decision to act on the way you feel....but just think about it.

i just feel that you care more about being mad and radical rather than actually making a realistic change. like your plan with the red paint and the petrol station....what the fuck was that going to achieve. the poor fucker who worked there would just have to tidy it up and it would make no difference to the situation in shannon. and probably be written off as random vandalism.
maybe think about the people you affect before making statements such as that. dont get me wrong....im all about changing peoples mentalities and outlook on life but it just doesnt sit right.
do you get the point im trying to make?

I think pushing through the police lines was the right thing to do .. Everyone has the right to protest , and pushing through the police lines would be defending that right no ?

When you talk about direct action involving violence , id be interested to know what you term as violence ?

I personally didnt think that protestors going up and asking the cops could we pass and upon being told no , turning around and leaving was much use either but im not going to criticise it as everyone should be able to protest whatever way they want.

As for people in Ireland becoming more and more afraid of protestors/anarchists , im not sure i agree with that but if it is true ,its down to the corporate media , the same corporate media who were allowed into the indymedia centre.explain the logic behind that?

I stand by weelers stickers in this case.

ian bastardcore said:
I think pushing through the police lines was the right thing to do .. Everyone has the right to protest , and pushing through the police lines would be defending that right no ?

When you talk about direct action involving violence , id be interested to know what you term as violence ?

I personally didnt think that protestors going up and asking the cops could we pass and upon being told no , turning around and leaving was much use either but im not going to criticise it as everyone should be able to protest whatever way they want.

As for people in Ireland becoming more and more afraid of protestors/anarchists , im not sure i agree with that but if it is true ,its down to the corporate media , the same corporate media who were allowed into the indymedia centre.explain the logic behind that?

im in two minds about it...

we have the right to protest but no state, ever, anywhere, has ever allowed (or ever will allow) protests to actually undermine their authority or claim greater legitimacy to violence than they hold.

so i think in pushing past the line you aren't so much defending the right to protest as exceeding what the state is willing to allow you to do. like you are free to say what you like as long as you don't act on it. once that line is crossed they will use force against you, and in the circumstances of saturday they'll have superior force and enough power in the mainstream media to shape the reporting of events to the world.

that's why i didn't push past the line... but i respect the decision of those who did. because while i can sit here and point out why i think it will fail, and perhaps ultimately be used to erode what limited rights of protest we have (the illegal, unchallenged actions of the police all week for example).... i can't think of a pratical/better alternative. and it's all ultimately a matter of opinion, ie politics... or something...

ian bastardcore said:
Considering the police have now been inside my flat on 2 occasions that i know of and have been waiting outside on numerous occasions I am going to have to ask that all references to me be removed from this thread asap, also if you want to actually discuss this and not just snipe from the relative safety of the net then just approach me sometime.

Tame little liberals, Over and out.

weeler said:

doesn,t matter who the image was it could have been an image of the ra or uvf who like the zapatista s are not anarchist so why place them beside a (A)....also it didn't explain anything about their struggle it just used them to potray the same type of portail of anarchists as the main stream media.
weeler said:
"it sounds like you are more concerned about image than ideas. "

You're going to have a great time getting your ideas over to the mainstream if you're just going to put people down whenever they convey their concerns.
I wholeheartedly agree with pushing against police lines, I just wasn't too into the idea of fucking bricks at the pigs before they started batoning people; thankfully this didn't happen. But people are going to question your ideas the same as you do to everything else and you've got to able to come back with a better come back than:
weeler said:
Tame little liberals, Over and out.
I'd stress, as would most people, that if you're going to put anarchist stickers it should not be perceived as threatening or scary to the average person on the street. Basking in the 'badboy' media image will only hinder the anarchist movement. Anarchy is about freedom and not just about fighting pigs and hiding your face, so why not try and get that message across rather than 'We are everywhere'?

i think everyones points are very valid, i guess its just an issue of where you stand.
but i just feel your not winning any people over to your side by dressing intimidatingly. lets face it you can mask up in pink too!

i was just imidiatly pissed off that the media painted it with the brush it did (obviously mainstream media looking after its own interests) . i support your action to protest but feel that fucking bottles at gards doesnt really tie in with the message of peace and equality that we strive for. perhaps i was originally a little agro in getting that across in the begining.
and i know you can justify it, as the casue.... i just cant thats all.

i say turn the other cheak rather than an eye for an eye.
the opression the state inflicts would be a lot more noticable if we didnt use violence to fight back.

my definition of violence (for ian) is any movement or jesture etc that provokes feelings of intimidation or fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back