Student Loans (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

anyone ever taken out a student loan?
did you get completely fucked for interest?
did it have any affect on your future credit rating?

am extremely wary of banks and dont really trust them to give me the full story, but with exams and stuff i could do with a small loan to keep things ticking over, plus moving into a new gaff in two weeks and the deposit is fairly big

any advice?

(btw im with AIB...)

Student loans come at a graduate rate which is pretty low. If you're only looking for a grand or so you should be grand, as a non-drinker i imagine you'll be able to pay it back fairly sharpish, like even a grand's only e20 a week for one year, or a tenner for two. Nae bother.

Alan Remorse said:
anyone ever taken out a student loan?
did you get completely fucked for interest?
did it have any affect on your future credit rating?

am extremely wary of banks and dont really trust them to give me the full story, but with exams and stuff i could do with a small loan to keep things ticking over, plus moving into a new gaff in two weeks and the deposit is fairly big

any advice?

(btw im with AIB...)

Interest rate should be around 8%

If it's your first loan the bank may want security (i.e. a parental/sibling guarantee)

It is possible to defer repayments (if you have a genuine reason) but you must at least cover the interest.

If you default on the agreed repayments and ignore all efforts by the bank to contact you (notes of balance, reminder letters) etc then they will notify the Irish Credit Bureau and it will affect your future credit rating. Quite a few people do this and think they can just walk away.
If you make some effort to repay the debt then they will go a lot easier on you.

well there's no chance i'll try to dodge paying them back...
was just wondering if it was one of those hair-brained schemes that will work against me in the future.
can i pay them back before the agreed time? ie if i have a few hundred quid handy can i just use it to pay off some of the loan or do i have to stick to the agreed timeframe for paying them back?

Alan Remorse said:
can i pay them back before the agreed time? ie if i have a few hundred quid handy can i just use it to pay off some of the loan or do i have to stick to the agreed timeframe for paying them back?

Yes. Generally speaking student loans are on a variable rate and early repayments are permitted without penalty.

I got a student loan off AIB few years ago for a 'puter. It was good cos you could pay back more if you had it (as long as you kept paying back no less than the amount you agreed). It was grand. I think I paid it off early. They gave it to me no hassle either. .|..|

what about Bank of Parents? I like borrowing from BOP except when I have a row with them and then of course you get reminded of it in frost laden tones. Something you may find the bank won't do.

kirstie said:
what about Bank of Parents? I like borrowing from BOP except when I have a row with them and then of course you get reminded of it in frost laden tones. Something you may find the bank won't do.

not like my credit union...

been getting the silient treatment for weeks :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back