Straight Edge article in the Irish Times today? (2 Viewers)

I have. I used to go to SxE gigs in Oakland years ago, and also in New York for a while, just cos I enjoyed some of the bands and the antics of the crowd (in my self knowingly superior way of course - like I've said before, a very high percentage of hardcore fans in the US are fucking apes) and I've seen people punched in the face for lighting up a cigarette on the sidewalk. You wouldn't dare drink a beer at those gigs, even though its for sale behind the bar.

Should we take a count of how many people have been punched or attacked by punks,or any other subculture for that matter and then tar everyone involved with the same brush.
if you want. I'm just telling you what I saw, regularly. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

Straight Edge is grand.
Self-righteous straight edgers, like every other bunch of preachers,
are total pricks.
I couldn't give a shit about what anyone does as long as they don't
start telling me I'm doing something wrong or I can't hang out and
take the piss out of them!

bang on.

cant say ive ever met a militant straight edger and nearly every sxe person ive met is way crazier than anyone who's drunk or on drugs.however the amount of punks around who wholeheartedly believe that their set of ideals is what everybody should live by is insane.there are so many people around who just assume because your into punk that you are an anarchist or vegetarian.its bullshit.punk is and always will be about being yourself.obviously if yourself is a dickhead, be prepared to be called on it.

SxE=grand as long as you dont have a problem with me gettin drunk and stoned.
anarchist=grand as long as you dont expect me to share your politcal beliefs.
crusty=grand as long as you dont talk to me(joke).
punk=grand as long as your open minded about shit.

If you think your diet, your records, your hair, your clothes, the gigs you go
to and your political beliefs define you then... then...

That is precisely my point.
Straight edge is not just about "no drinking, no drugs, no smoking". Like punk it's a container for different ideas. There is a 'scene specific' kind of music (youth crew hardcore is quite different from 'traditional' hardcore), there are different diet choices, there are different styles of clothing, different ideas and ethics and so on.

Fair enough, someone should not limit itself to having a label defining itself. But at the same time that label is not necessarily as limiting as people would think, as the label might be the shorthand for a wider container of ideas, attitudes, actions and beliefs.

istockphoto_2897162_cyber_goth.jpg

i thought you were a cyber goth?

Are you SURE he drinks?

Also, I was gonna respond to this thread but cesspool put it perfectly and i'd only be rehashing what he said.
This thread is fucking ridiculous, and yeh, some stupid stuff was said but it's not just damone. cop on the both of yis and stop looking threw shit tinted glasses.
Pretty sure he broke his edge in Dublin actually in the 90s

I remember the days of Plop talking about his mickey piercing on Live At Three with Thelma Mansfield.
Bright orange jumpsuits, genitals and anglegrinders - perfect housewife TV.

Are you SURE he drinks?
He's mad for the sups.
True Till Death indeed.

(http://membres.lycos.fr/downbylaw/interviews/reflections_en.html)
Reflections : Do you drink ?
Dave Smalley : I'll have a beer. But don't drink to access you know ? I'm not gonna drink shots of jagermeister you know. I started to have beer was, that's a good story... I started to have beers when we were in Ireland on tour. And a very big part of my heritage is Irish, Scottish and English, and all of those heritage seem to " conquer " me... whatever, I got in to this typical pub and had a Guinness, a dark beer and I really liked it pretty much, ha, ha.

Fucking yanks and their slavery to heritage.
'I'M EYE-RISH AND WE EYE-RISH LOVE A DROP, HUH?'

If you think your diet, your records, your hair, your clothes, the gigs you go
to and your political beliefs define you then... then...

I prefer a list of music, films, television shows, books and heroes as a proxy for my personality. Ah, maybe a bit of general and about me info too. :p ;)

He's mad for the sups.
True Till Death indeed.

Dave Smalley : I'll have a beer. But don't drink to access you know ? I'm not gonna drink shots of jagermeister you know. I started to have beer was, that's a good story... I started to have beers when we were in Ireland on tour. And a very big part of my heritage is Irish, Scottish and English, and all of those heritage seem to " conquer " me... whatever, I got in to this typical pub and had a Guinness, a dark beer and I really liked it pretty much, ha, ha.

Next Complan interview, I'm going to talk about how I'm part American, and I get these incredible urges to turn into an obese, right-wing, loud-mouthed tourist.

I prefer a list of music, films, television shows, books and heroes as a proxy for my personality. Ah, maybe a bit of general and about me info too. :p ;)

The " I've got the horn for.." thread speaks volumes too

He's mad for the sups.
True Till Death indeed.

I was with Dave Smalley when he broke edge. Considering how much I love DYS I commented something about it. His response was along the lines of "I'm on holiday" I thought it was hilarious and said I was going to stir the rumour mill. He looked a bit worried.
He was smoking too.
The first DYS record is still amazing.

What an awful thread.
Are Crowd Control the negi equivalent of Good Clean Fun? I hope so.
I'm going out on the streets saving the scene from the forces of evil.

Peaceful protest doesn't get the job done
So I wake up for the rally grab my soy milk and my gun
Breakfast with the family get the grub on see what's up
Then I saw my sister had milk in her cup
I jumped out of my chair and sprayed her with my mace
I yelled "vegan power,” and I kicked her in the face
Dad was bugging, he started to run
But he's a meat eater so I pulled out my gun
Shot him in the back, then I shot his wife
That's how it's got to be in defense of all life.

I feel like locking this thread because it has retarded arguments on both sides. Though the last page or so is made up of others just going "awful thread, cop on lads" etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back