Supporter
Website
kvt.red
firefox 1.0 is out today.

it's free!

it's fast!

it's safe!

it kills spyware and popups!

it has tabbed browsing and shitloads of other stuff!

it's bill gates' worst nightmare!

do yourself a favour; get it, and use it.

mozilla.org is a bit slow (they are, after all, expecting 10 million downloads of the browser this week), but it's a 4.7mb download from here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

huh? fire-what?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3993959.stm

http://www.nidelven-it.no/articles/introduction_to_firefox

Gong Farmer said:
What's NeoMail all about?
It's a webmail client - I don't want to use something like Thunderbird that downloads mails cos I check my mail from different PCs all the time and don't want some in one place and some in another (using webmail leaves them on the server)

set the options in tbird to leave messages on the server until deleted from inbox and also not to download msgs over 50k automatically, i use tbird on the laptop both in work (broadband) and at home (dialup).

best of both worlds

egg_ said:
It's a webmail client - I don't want to use something like Thunderbird that downloads mails cos I check my mail from different PCs all the time and don't want some in one place and some in another (using webmail leaves them on the server)
Hooray for imap!

Uh.

Hmmm
I can use NeoMail from my own PC, from my work PC, from Niamh's PC and when I'm in an internet cafe or someone else's house. I often need to be able to access stuff in folders other than "inbox" - basically I need to leave everything on the server all the time. Can tbird do this?

Gong Farmer said:
Thunderbird does the trick for me. What's NeoMail all about?
Allright Billy. Its Philip... <smiley face>
So, whats all this then, I subscribe to thumped to find out who the cool people in Dublin are these days, and next thing its all Slashdot Open Sourcey things. Right so then. My first post, and I will do some evangelising.
Why stop at Firefox, or Thunderbird? Why not just partition up the hard drive, and lash Linux onto it.
Firefox is not Mr Gates worst nightmare, Linux is. Try Fedora maybe... works for me. Version three is out soon, (now?) i think. Very easy install... Very nice operating system.

tom. said:
firefox 1.0 is out today.

it's free!

it's fast!

it's safe!

it kills spyware and popups!

it has tabbed browsing and shitloads of other stuff!

it's bill gates' worst nightmare!

do yourself a favour; get it, and use it.

mozilla.org is a bit slow (they are, after all, expecting 10 million downloads of the browser this week), but it's a 4.7mb download from here:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

huh? fire-what?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3993959.stm

http://www.nidelven-it.no/articles/introduction_to_firefox
sounds good. however, i am not up on my technology as much a you folk, if i were to start using firefox, could other users on my home pc still run explorer and outlook express etc?

eoinbox said:
sounds good. however, i am not up on my technology as much a you folk, if i were to start using firefox, could other users on my home pc still run explorer and outlook express etc?
yeah... they can.

But they won't. My mam and sister use Firefox all the time too.

egg_ said:
Eeek
Why would you want to do that? I've been using Linux everyday for the last 4 years (in work) and I don't really think it has anything to offer home users
Really?? You use it and dont like it?
What Linux do you use... a new one? I use it on my machine at home too. Lovely stuff. The only thing that annoys me is there are fewer movie viewer thingies. Much better at doing everything else though. Quicker too. I even have it on my laptop...
Maybe Im just really nerdy or something. I used to be cool. Oh no, wait. I was never cool. Shit.

flashback said:
Allright Billy. Its Philip... <smiley face>
So, whats all this then, I subscribe to thumped to find out who the cool people in Dublin are these days, and next thing its all Slashdot Open Sourcey things. Right so then. My first post, and I will do some evangelising.
Why stop at Firefox, or Thunderbird? Why not just partition up the hard drive, and lash Linux onto it.
Firefox is not Mr Gates worst nightmare, Linux is. Try Fedora maybe... works for me. Version three is out soon, (now?) i think. Very easy install... Very nice operating system.
You are unbelievably gay.

flashback said:
What Linux do you use... a new one? I use it on my machine at home too. Lovely stuff. The only thing that annoys me is there are fewer movie viewer thingies. Much better at doing everything else though. Quicker too. I even have it on my laptop...
Maybe Im just really nerdy or something. I used to be cool. Oh no, wait. I was never cool. Shit.
Here... I can't split up my hard drive. I had a look a couple of days ago... can I get a new hard drive? or what should I do. Talk to Misha?

flashback said:
Not that I don't like it but I don't think it really has anything to offer over Windows (unless you're running it on a server) - the increased reliability is more than cancelled out by the lack of available software (I use Pro-Tools for audio and you can't get it for Linux) ... and IMHO if you keep your Windows machine in good nick you're unlikely to notice much improvement in day to day use - one of my colleagues in work has it on his desktop and it's a lot more flaky than my Win98 machine

Gong Farmer said:
You are unbelievably gay.
Ah jesus. Theres no need for that now Billy. I mean anything above fairly gay is just hurtful.
How is your "Young boys farm" doing? Did health and safety clear it for you? Renting out one of Jerry Harpurs old pig sheds was genius. And now you have a safe supply of young boys! Oh billy. I just cant wait to visit.

flashback said:
Renting out one of Jerry Harpurs old pig sheds was genius.
jharper.jpg

Pig-fucker
http://www.cs.may.ie/resources/images/photos/jharper.jpg

Gong Farmer said:
Here... I can't split up my hard drive. I had a look a couple of days ago... can I get a new hard drive? or what should I do. Talk to Misha?
Sure just buy one. Go online, get a 80Gig drive. In the US its about a dollar a gig. Plug her in, and you are set. Make sure that your mother board can handle the speed, like, there are three types basically. ATA, Ultra ATA and Serial ATA. (Faster as you go ->) If your mother board is able for SATA or UATA get that... just have a look at the old drive.
Misha would know too. Its handy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back