Steve Reich coming to ireland (1 Viewer)

Absolutely mesmerizing...hard to put into words. I found it quite emotional at the end when Reich came up on stage too. Did anyone else spot the guy front left who kept shaking his head along to the music throughout the entire performance? SLAP!

My own Reich highlight for the weekend was "Four Organs" on Saturday. Absolutely brilliant. Yesterday's "Drumming Part I" was pretty amazing as well.

"Pendulum Music" was kinda fun to watch, even though it really is something almost anyone could do with the right gear (maybe they should sell it as a kit: "Be a Modern Composer in your own home, kids!") And even though the "performance" of "It's Gonna Rain" seemed to be just the record played out, hearing it LOUD and with good stereo separation was worth it.

Really enjoyed the interview on Saturday as well. Reich came across as yer typical old New York City boy; no pretenses, very down to earth. (Thought John Kelly was a really good choice as ineterviewer, too.)

Wheels said:
Absolutely mesmerizing...hard to put into words. I found it quite emotional at the end when Reich came up on stage too. Did anyone else spot the guy front left who kept shaking his head along to the music throughout the entire performance? SLAP!
Yeh! i was up in the balcony and couldn't figure out whether I was hallucinating that or not. The head seemed to be shakin at a ridiculous rate.

Was at the Reich seminar on Sunday. Down to earth although quite conservative. He has no time for free jazz

Wheels said:
Did anyone else spot the guy front left who kept shaking his head along to the music throughout the entire performance? SLAP!

yeah that guy was a couple of rows in front of me, amazed he managed to keep going for almost 45 minutes.

Wheels[COLOR=black said:
] Did anyone else spot the guy front left who kept shaking his head along to the music throughout the entire performance? SLAP![/COLOR]

Some friends were sitting right behind him and as well as the crazy heading shaking, they said he was the extreme opposite of fragrant.

ANYONE HERE SEE THAT SOUTHPARK WITH 'PSYCHIC DETECTIVE' CARTMAN??
BA BA BA BA BA BA ba ba ba ba
MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH meh meh meh meh
DOO DO DO DO DO DO do do do do do do
ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT DURING THAT 'PERFOMANCE'... WHEN I WASN'T ABOUT TO GO CRAZY WITH DISINTEREST..

LETS PLAY THE SAME RYTHYM FOR AN HOUR BA BA BA ba ba ba ba

WE'RE A FANCY SOUNDSCAPE VERSION OF A DRUM CIRCLE BA BA BA ba ba ba

CHECK ME OUT I'VE GOT A YELLOW SHIRT A AND TWO MARACAS BUT I'M NO WILL FERRELL AND THIS DON'T SOUND LIKE NO COW BELL BA BA BA ba ba

GOOD JOB I WENT TO HELLS BELLS THE NIGHT BEFORE BA BA BA ba ba ba.....

I'M SURE LOADS OF YOU LOVED IT... FAIR PLAY TO YOU. IN SHORT....

YAWNAQUAANNNDO DO DO DO DO do do
do do do

greatest hits aside, does anyone have thoughts on the 'three world premiers'?

i was away for the weekend, but it didn't sound too good on the lyric relay.

anyone go to the choral gig on sunday, with arvo, 'proverb', etc.?

drumming, four organs, pendulum music all good

also two pages for steve reich and having never written a note for percussion .|..|

6 hours at o'reilly theatre in a terrible hangover - !ironyyy!cheezy

Unknown Convict said:
greatest hits aside, does anyone have thoughts on the 'three world premiers'?

I saw the Jennifer Walshe one ("Procedure for Smoothing Air") on Saturday. I really liked it. Loads of bizarre juxtapositions between sight (a woman blowing bubbles, throwing feathers back and forth, sprooshing spray cans) and sound (plinky-plonky piano, trombone and cello). Very dada; I thought it was pretty funny, although I bet loads of people hated it.

Unknown Convict said:
anyone go to the choral gig on sunday, with arvo, 'proverb', etc.?

Yeah, but I'm not much into choral music (I went primarily to see "Drumming"), so I found it a bit dull. People who know more about it that I do said it was all very good.

Skink said:
yup. Feldman on Friday was kickin also
Yeah, this was really cool. A real contrast to the Reich stuff that went before it.

Sunday, though. I'm still giddy thinking about it. Real shame I couldn't go to Four Organs though.

Reich should have given a special hug to the head shakey dude.

photon said:
I saw the Jennifer Walshe one ("Procedure for Smoothing Air") on Saturday. I really liked it. Loads of bizarre juxtapositions between sight (a woman blowing bubbles, throwing feathers back and forth, sprooshing spray cans) and sound (plinky-plonky piano, trombone and cello). Very dada; I thought it was pretty funny, although I bet loads of people hated it.

Yeah, but I'm not much into choral music (I went primarily to see "Drumming"), so I found it a bit dull. People who know more about it that I do said it was all very good.

yep, the Walshe one was good.

I liked the Perotin choral one with the stretched deep chants, the Pärt one and others were boring. The Pärt orchestral thing on Saturday was great

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back