Spielberg vs. John Carpenter - who's th e daddy (2 Viewers)

John Carpenter wins hands down, just for "They Live" and "The Thing" , allegedly there's a john carpenter festival/marathon thingy planned for sometime this year, that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing.

Strange question... they are not even in the same league...
They are both good and bad at what they do in that Jaws is amazing and A.I. is a heap of shite... and that The Thing is amazing and er... em...

Yeah ok, Carpenter wins

I think spielberg has shown he can do just about any type of movie and make it happen.

But The Thing.. jesus. What a fucking film.

Originally posted by morgen-vox
but spielberg's a jew

see now this, combined with the signature, is just the sort of "humour" i don't really like.

and me in a good mood and all

Carpenter vs. Spielberg?
Both are good but I think the issue that would separate them would be consistency.
With Carpenter for every Escape To New York there is an Escape From LA. The only good films he has ever made are The Thing (absolute classic), Starman, Darkstar, Halloween, Escape From New York, The Fog (enjoyable cack) and Assault on Precinct 13.
In Spielbergs portfolio you will find gems like Duel, Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, ET, Empire Of The Sun (under-rated gem), Jurassic Park (cack but enjoyably so), Schindlers List, AI (apart from the misjudged final 30 minutes and Brendan Gleeson).
I think Spielberg has had only two real stinkers that I can think of; Hook and 1941, maybe Always too.
Carpenter has had Ghosts of Mars, Vampires, In The Mouth of Madness, They Live, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Christine (about a demonically-possessed car, for gods sake) and Big Trouble in Little China.
Spielberg wins it by a mile for me, but Carpenter has some good films, it' s a pity that the last undeniably good one was 20 years ago (The Thing).

Originally posted by Trisky
Carpenter vs. Spielberg?
Both are good but I think the issue that would separate them would be consistency.
With Carpenter for every Escape To New York there is an Escape From LA. The only good films he has ever made are The Thing (absolute classic), Starman, Darkstar, Halloween, Escape From New York, The Fog (enjoyable cack) and Assault on Precinct 13.
In Spielbergs portfolio you will find gems like Duel, Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, ET, Empire Of The Sun (under-rated gem), Jurassic Park (cack but enjoyably so), Schindlers List, AI (apart from the misjudged final 30 minutes and Brendan Gleeson).
I think Spielberg has had only two real stinkers that I can think of; Hook and 1941, maybe Always too.
Carpenter has had Ghosts of Mars, Vampires, In The Mouth of Madness, They Live, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Christine (about a demonically-possessed car, for gods sake) and Big Trouble in Little China.
Spielberg wins it by a mile for me, but Carpenter has some good films, it' s a pity that the last undeniably good one was 20 years ago (The Thing).

whats the spielberg film "always"? excuse my ignorance by the way.

Duel is not about a demonically possessed truck if that is what you were thinking Snaky.
In Duel, you see the guys arm sticking out of the window at the gas-station scene and you see his feet as he gets out of the truck.
Sorry to be a movie geek.

Originally posted by Trisky
Duel is not about a demonically possessed truck if that is what you were thinking Snaky.
In Duel, you see the guys arm sticking out of the window at the gas-station scene and you see his feet as he gets out of the truck.
Sorry to be a movie geek.

MOVIE GEEK ;) ;) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back