spencer tunick - cool or fool? (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
-i only ask because his latest work in mexico jogged my memory of him.

he has heaps of detractors - but i remember after watching the documentary (i think it was called naked world?) thinking that i actually like his work.

obvious aside - he's a bit schmaltzy, travels the world and gets ordinary dudes and dudettes to strip down, sometimes alone, sometimes in their thousands - and snaps them in all their naked glory in front of monuments and stuff.

he's a guy who takes pictures of naked people. i get it. lots of people have done it before. but i rather like the results - i find his single subjects often come across as both vulnerable yet resolute in his photographs (the "fuck im doing this out in the open" comes aross, as does the "fuck it, i'm naked and proud!") - and the mass gatherings against larger lanscapes - well I find something quite beautiful about all those skin tones and shapes spilling out along a river or big open square.

whatever about him as a guy - when it comes to the actual print, i'm voting cool.

also, if he came to ireland and was asking for volunteers for a mass gathering - would you go and stand in all your naked glory in the city centre with heaps of other people?
nippy.

he was cool about 7 years ago, but it's gotten rrreeeaaalllyyy old now... hasn't he got a new idea/schtick yet?

there's no way I'd take part either, to paraphrase Chevy Chase in National Lampoons Vaction, you'd want to be fucked in the head to do something like that

actually that sounds overly harsh, but again I think years ago there was something pure and exspressive about his work and the people in it. but now you can't help thinking everyones doing to have a "spencer tunick story" for the next dinner party

actually that sounds overly harsh, but again I think years ago there was something pure and exspressive about his work and the people in it. but now you can't help thinking everyones doing to have a "spencer tunick story" for the next dinner party

i agree with this to an extent, however i still think that the end result - despite the participants' reasons for being there - is pretty powerful

i agree with this to an extent, however i still think that the end result - despite the participants' reasons for being there - is pretty powerful

I suppose the photos are lovely, true...

but when I saw the new one in the paper at the weekend my first reaction was "is he still at that?!, really?!"

I guess I'm just to jaded and cynical...

I suppose the photos are lovely, true...

but when I saw the new one in the paper at the weekend my first reaction was "is he still at that?!, really?!"

I guess I'm just to jaded and cynical...

maybe you are :p

w654.jpg

lovely.

He's grand but it's a bit old now.

When he did a pic in Ireland, it was of a nekkid, flame haired Irish cailín on some botharín. Beacuse they're the only people in Ireland.

I was just thinking imagine if he did a group of Irish people... it'd be horrific...

It'd have to be called "Blue Ruin". Or maybe "Spotted Dick".

But I guess there'd be a lot of streaky orange in there, too, which would have an element of unintentionally ironic political humour -- ho ho ho! Oldest joke ever.

I'll get me coat.

Sigh.

That is a cool photo, but.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back