southern uk (1 Viewer)

mamul

i was thinking bout going on a little holiday to somewhere nice and relaxing and south and sunny, in the uk as ive never been before. maybe cornwall or devon or torquay or something like that. i shall have a wee infant with me, so nothing too adventurous. can anyone recommend some nice spots around this part of the uk? cheers

mamul said:
i was thinking bout going on a little holiday to somewhere nice and relaxing and south and sunny, in the uk as ive never been before. maybe cornwall or devon or torquay or something like that. i shall have a wee infant with me, so nothing too adventurous. can anyone recommend some nice spots around this part of the uk? cheers
never been in cornwall or down that particular leg of the uk, but I've heard it's quite nice. bath is a nice city, not sure if it's really all that exciting though. just spent two nights though. there are some nice restaurants and there's a bit of an atmosphere. generally not too impressed with the rest of the south of england. from what I've seen it's mostly crappy enough and/or bland although I'm sure there are some nice spots here and there.. windsor/heart of england's ok.. actually it's all pretty pedestrian unless you like pretty fields and not that much else. then again, I like shit like west kerry etc. islands and general windsweptness. I reckon from what I've been told, cornwall etc. is a bit more like that but I haven't seen it with my own eyes so.. was supposed to about a year or so ago but my friend wanted to go to legoland instead. go figure.

I've always wanted to go on a driving holiday around scotland. up to inverness and shit. I've been told it's amazing. I'd :heart: to see one of these guys:

Dsc00141_Closeup_of_Highland_Cow.jpg

MOO!!!! awesome.. .|..|

mamul said:

Cornwall is really gorgeous, and very relaxed. I spent a few days travelling and camping around the place, and it's just great. Allegedly has the driest, sunniest climate in Britain, but it still rained a hell of a lot. I'd stay away from Torquay, as I've heard it's pretty yick. Besides, there are so many pretty places in Cornwall to just chill out and wander around that it seems pointless. Try Tintagel, St Ives, Falmouth, Penzance, etc. Small places, not a million things to do, but great spots to not be in a rush.

Do you drive? If so, check out a few different places. Also, the Eden Project is well worth a visit.

I had a nice trip around the gower peninsula in wales the other week. some really nice beaches - Rhosilii bay and 3 cliffs bay.

Pembrokeshire is supposed to be really nice.

mamul said:
We used to go to Paignton every year when I were a lass. I'd love to go now. There's plenty of stuff for kids - water slides, mini-rollercoaster, crazy golf, steam train etc and if you have a car there's loads of nice little villages to go and have a cream tea. There's a model village somewhere near too which enchanted me as a nipper. You can also go to Buckfastleigh, where the famous tonic wine is still made by monks!.|..|

jane said:
I'd stay away from Torquay, as I've heard it's pretty yick.

Awww! Torquay's lovely, but I'm an English burd who loves a traditional English seaside. It's not as bad as Blackpool. No where near, in fact...

Catwoman said:
We used to go to Paignton every year when I were a lass. I'd love to go now. There's plenty of stuff for kids - water slides, mini-rollercoaster, crazy golf, steam train etc and if you have a car there's loads of nice little villages to go and have a cream tea. There's a model village somewhere near too which enchanted me as a nipper. You can also go to Buckfastleigh, where the famous tonic wine is still made by monks!.|..|
buckfast abbey? every student's dream holiday destination!!!! :)

as endorsed by the genial host of another student institution:

whitely.jpg

:D

Catwoman said:
Awww! Torquay's lovely, but I'm an English burd who loves a traditional English seaside. It's not as bad as Blackpool. No where near, in fact...

I've never been, I was just putting my Cornish voting hens in the quieter places. I love the seaside towns, too, but in small doses. Except Brighton, which is just brilliant, and possibly somewhere I'd be quite happy living.

jane said:
I've never been, I was just putting my Cornish voting hens in the quieter places. I love the seaside towns, too, but in small doses. Except Brighton, which is just brilliant, and possibly somewhere I'd be quite happy living.

I've never been but I've heard it's deadly. If I ever move back to England it'd have to be a seaside town...

The New Forest is pretty rocking - it's not Cornwall but it is Southern England. The Wiltshire Downs are great as well - you can walk ridgeways for miles, surrounded by trees and fields, and not see another human being. Great stuff.

the isles of scilly, bout 30 miles off lands end, are really nice, i camped there for a few days a couple of yeas ago. its like being in enid blyton-land. theres millions of little islands but only 5 inhabited with nothing much to do on any of them except wander about, go to the beach, swim, go on boat trips, windsurf, fish, walk, marvel at stuff etc. i highly recommend it. there were people in the next tent to me with a baby, though they seemed to spend all their time in the tent without ever going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back