Ex-User (250)

Since 2000
POTATO, PARSNIP AND CHORIZO SOUP

onions
garlic
butter (half a 'block')
parsnips
potatoes
chicken stock (or kettle, water and stock cubes)
milk
chorizo

volume-wise, you need around the same amount of supds and parsnips. i made it with around 6-8 medium/large potatoes and 6 medium parsnips. 2 large onions and a bulb of garlic.
peel and chop potatoes, parsnips, onions and garlic into small pieces. no need to be too picky coz your pulverise all this eventually. melt butter, fry up onions and garlic. add potatoes and parsnips. season with salt and pepper. reduce heat and sweat for 10 mins. (butter's important, it gives it a real characteristic taste). add a litre and a half of boiling water and 2 chicken stock cubes. simmer until vegetables are cook through. blend soup.
just after you've added the stock, chop chorizo into skinny disk pieces and fry gentle in some olive oil. aim to have these chorizo peices crispy by the time you blended the soup. add around a pint of milk to soup while blending.
these quantities i've mentioned makes around 5-6 decent sized bowls.
pour soup into two bowls. place around 10 pieces of chorizo floating atop and drizzle some of the chorizo oil from the frying pan on the surface of the soup for dramatic effect.
i'm guessing this would also work fine with a vegetarian substitute for chorizo if there is one. some kind of spicy 'sausage'.
the taste combinations are amazing. i'll stick up some snaps when i get home, it also 'looks' amazing.

Spicy tomato & red lentil soup.

Ingredients
1 or 2 chopped onions (pretty fine)
2-3 garlic cloves (squashed)
2-3 sticks of celery (finely chopped)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
500 ml Marigold vegetable boullion (available from healthfood stores)
3 red chillies, chopped. Keep the seeds from 1 - 2 (depending on how spicy you like it)
A cup of red lentils
Tomato puree
Creme fraiche or natural yoghurt (optional)

1. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes in a little olive oil. Don't let them brown - they're supposed to end up juicy and soft, not crispy.
2. Add the celery and chillis and cook for another 2-3 minutes
3. Add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes
4. Throw in the chopped tomatoes, lentils and stock
5. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Take it off the heat and whizz with your blender, until smooth.
7. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste
8. Serve with fresh brown bread. Swirl a bit of creme fraiche on top if you're feeling fancy.

YUM!

hag said:
POTATO, PARSNIP AND CHORIZO SOUP
soup.jpg

you really need to try this. it's SO good.

Here's something I like - it doesn't look as fancy as Hag's soup, more of a meal in itself:

Moroccan Harira

Ingredients:
- handful of chick-peas (tinned or soaked and cooked)
- 250g lamb, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, pepper, cinnamon
- pinch of pulverised saffron
- a few celery stalks and leaves, chopped
- a chopped onion
- chopped parsley
- tin of tomatoes or 450g tomatoes peeled, seeded, chopped
- 50g lentils
- 1 egg beaten with lemon juice

(1) Put the lamb, spices, celery, onion and parsley in a pot with a tablespoon of butter and cook over medium heat. After 5 minutes add the tomatoes and keep cooking for 10-15 minutes.
(2) Add the lentils and some water, bring to the boil, and simmer for 2 hours.
(3) Pour the egg-lemon mixture in and remove from the heat. Stir rapidly so the egg forms long ribbons.
(4) Serve with lemon slices and a bit of ground cinnamon.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP (V)

5 tbsp. unsalted butter (or less)
1 3/4 c. chopped leeks, white & light green
4 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1" cubes
6 c. veg boullion
1/4 tsp. (scant) thyme
1 c. whipping cream (I used 1/2 milk)
1 + c. milk
Fresh white pepper
Fresh grated Parmesan to top

Saute leeks in soup kettle 4 minutes. Add squash. Stir to coat. Stir in remaining ingredients (except milk, cream and cheese). Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes. Puree in batches. Can make ahead; refrigerate overnight. Warm and add milk and cream. Top tureen or serving with sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.

A Simple Spinach Soup By Wormo Dermo

Chop two onions up and sautee them gently
Chop maybe 3 or 4 cloves of garlic up and chuck em in with the hunnyuns
Chuck in a rake load of nutmeg, black pepper and rosemary.... obviously fresh is better...
And a couple of pints of veggie stock (go for Marigold. thanks Egg)
And now, throw in a bag and a half of frozen spinach and a load of roughly chopped mushroons

Cook that bad boy up for a while... half an hour? Just before you blend it add salt and lemon juice

I find with this lad very flexible and easy to do. For extra loveliness (non-vegans) throw in some natural yoghurt or sour cream.

It's also a great way to get dark leafy green nutrition because you're keeping all the water your spinach is cooked in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back