Sonic Youth-with the chemical brothers *sigh* (1 Viewer)

mackle

August 19th
Marlay Park

Why the fuck are Sonic Youth backing up the Chemical Brothers? I am dying to see Sonic Youth but I dont know if its worth seeing them at a gig like this were they'll be dots on the stage and nobody will appreciate them.

Ciaran Mackle said:
August 19th
Marlay Park

Why the fuck are Sonic Youth backing up the Chemical Brothers? I am dying to see Sonic Youth but I dont know if its worth seeing them at a gig like this were they'll be dots on the stage and nobody will appreciate them.

pointless!

i know its rather fucked up but i'm gonna definitely go. Have never seen sonic youth live before.

Man i was at Bellx 1 on Saturday (and before yis say anything money didnt change hands - got my tits in for free). And speaking of tits, i have never been to a gig with so many chicks in my life. Swear to fuck it was like being at an Abs or westlife gig. Then when Peter Bellx1 mentioned the OC, their was a thunderous chick scream/roar the Beatles would have been proud of.
I was actually kind of embarassed as a bloke being their. By the way the gig wasnt very good. One of the lines of their new songs is "when Rory played the blues and Ronan was still selling shoes" :(

Wait a second why did i bring this up.....

Oh Yeah....

abs1.jpg

It's a clever marketing ploy so they can sell 'cross-over' T'Shirts at 25 euro each with Chemical Youth or Sonic Brothers on..

It's all about the moichandising..

That or MCD don't have a fucking clue about the acts they put on.

nlgbbbblth said:
what happened last year anyway?

were they ever scheduled or was it an MCD rumour to boost ticket sales?

last year they were on the posters to play with white stripes in marlay park, some peeps bought tix, then their name disappeared from the posters...

i think its more sonic youths fault than mcd's:

"hey you guys wanna play in a field in ireland with some uk dance rock group who use a backing track when playing 'live'?"

SY: "sure dude, just show us the money, we stopped caring about our fans years ago."

whichever nazi bastard took away my rep points for saying sonic youth were shit, you know who you are: pick on someone your own size - i've only got about ten of them as it is, ya stinking art rock loving hippy. anyhow, this is how the best sonic youth song ever goes -nanananananaartyzzzzzz
[cue me losing the rest of the points]

giveachickakick said:
thats gotta be sugar kane...

Nah, it's the Diamond Sea. It's obviously the edited one tho coz the fullversion is...

nanananananaartyartyartyartyartyartyfartyfartyfarty
buzzbangwallopmustkillpatkennymustkillpatkennymust
killpatkennymustkillpatkennyhuckleberryfinnoohhhh
abitofdistortionseagullshmmmthenewautechre albumisfinallygrowingonmejeezdidyaseetheheadonyrwan
whitenoiseforafewminutesyouknowiwaskindaseriousabout
thepatkennythingsoooostuffedaftermydinnerbangbangstatic
zzzzzzfadetosilence

I'll prob pick up a ticket for this anyway. Sonic Youth in a field is still Sonic Youth. Pity it's not their own show mind, so we'll probably only get a 40min set with shite sound. And it's near me gaff so...

Sonic Youth are not worth seeing. 90% of their sets now are just made up of their boring new record "NURSE". They play a few decent old ones here and there that just about salvage the tedium of the newer songs.

I would urge everybody to go if they played stuff from their earlier albums but *sigh* they do not.

tim said:
Sonic Youth are not worth seeing. 90% of their sets now are just made up of their boring new record "NURSE". They play a few decent old ones here and there that just about salvage the tedium of the newer songs.

I would urge everybody to go if they played stuff from their earlier albums but *sigh* they do not.

I've always found them a bit hit and miss live. I saw them in Sheaprds Bush a few years ago and they were amazing. Funniest incident ever at a gig:
They started off with Teenage riot and the bloke beside me got so excited he asked his mates to pick him up so he could expree said excitement through the medium of crowd surfing. It was about one minute into the intro and he got up only to be caught by some very burly bouncers and forceably ejected from the venue!imagine paying 15stg (ah the glory days when gigs were cheap) to see yr favourite band only to be fucked out minutes into it...i laughed anyway.

Though never having had the chance to see them, I doubt I would bother. And certainly not for 55 snotsers. I used to be fanatical about the oul SY but at this stage I couldn't really care less for what they're doing. It's boring and dare I say...uninventive.

tim said:

Tim funny how you told me they were great live when you come back from America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back