Sonic Youth-with the chemical brothers *sigh* (1 Viewer)

jillface said:
Though never having had the chance to see them, I doubt I would bother. And certainly not for 55 snotsers. I used to be fanatical about the oul SY but at this stage I couldn't really care less for what they're doing. It's boring and dare I say...uninventive.

Yeah, I'd agree with that entirely. I used to be a HUGE fan up until Goo, which is not just a bad SY album, but a bad album by just about any standard whatsoever. I consider their '90s records to be at best pretentious and at worst unlistenable.

Murray Street, however, I thought was all right, and figured maybe the addition of Jim O'Rourke gave them a kick up the arse. However, Sonic Nurse sounds like music for grannies, the kind of record made for and by old people. Which, considering the age of most of the bandmembers, I guess it is.

Paul

P.S. All my own opinion, naturally.

I concur. Murray Street has some nice songs and I like some of the SYRs too. I found a copy of Sonic Nurse in UCD one day last year and I was very happy to have not paid for it. Once I wanted to marry Kim Gordon, now I could tear out her annoying vocal chords.

photon said:
Yeah, I'd agree with that entirely. I used to be a HUGE fan up until Goo, which is not just a bad SY album, but a bad album by just about any standard whatsoever. I consider their '90s records to be at best pretentious and at worst unlistenable.

Murray Street, however, I thought was all right, and figured maybe the addition of Jim O'Rourke gave them a kick up the arse. However, Sonic Nurse sounds like music for grannies, the kind of record made for and by old people. Which, considering the age of most of the bandmembers, I guess it is.

Paul

P.S. All my own opinion, naturally.

It's about time we all had another SY discussion... :rolleyes:

tim said:
Sonic Youth are not worth seeing. 90% of their sets now are just made up of their boring new record "NURSE". They play a few decent old ones here and there that just about salvage the tedium of the newer songs.

I would urge everybody to go if they played stuff from their earlier albums but *sigh* they do not.

I saw them in the Olympia oooh...a few years ago and they got really pissed off as everyone kept shouting for their old songs. they were mostly playing stuff from a thousand leaves. They said to the audience "we have new songs too, y'know".

And they also got really annoyed and announced that there were other people in the band as people kept shouting "kim!" and "thurston!"

Cranky old gits.

I thought they were fairly ok that time. I have absolutely no interest in them these days though. In fact I'd go so far as to say I have minus interest in them now. ZzzZZzz.

spiritualtramp said:
I saw them in the Olympia oooh...a few years ago and they got really pissed off as everyone kept shouting for their old songs. they were mostly playing stuff from a thousand leaves. They said to the audience "we have new songs too, y'know".

And they also got really annoyed and announced that there were other people in the band as people kept shouting "kim!" and "thurston!"

Cranky old gits.

spiritualtramp said:

Cranky old gits.

was that when Chicks were "supporting" them?

spiritualtramp said:
Yep. And Sonic Youth were not impressed at the crowd booing when they thanked the Chicks for supporting. Don't think they were in good moods that night at all.

their complan was probably lumpy and the
1906.jpg

probably hadnt kicked in....

spiritualtramp said:

Cranky old gits.

Was at that Olympia gig too.

Didn't notice the negative banter ..thought it was pretty good:) sitting in the balcony with my bro!
(& too young to get served at the bar.)

I'd love to see SY again,
But I don't know if i could bring myself to spend €55 for a Marlay Park gig & leave after the main attraction....

(altho I did for Pixies in Phoenix Pk last year...:confused: )

Ivytheterrible said:
Was at that Olympia gig too.

Didn't notice the negative banter ..thought it was pretty good:) sitting in the balcony with my bro!
(& too young to get served at the bar.)

I'd love to see SY again,
But I don't know if i could bring myself to spend €55 for a Marlay Park gig & leave after the main attraction....

(altho I did for Pixies in Phoenix Pk last year...:confused: )

bet you LOVED the chicks that night, Ivy:heart:

Sonic Youth were booked by a buch of coke sniffing a..rr...s <hic> arseholes who don't know ther arse from ther elbows.They are definitley in it <hic> for the money and fair play to them for that. Doing it for the fans sounds like a mantra devised <hic> by Showband manager to inspire the band to get out of bed earlier. Bloody Fanatics <hic>. Big outdoor festivals don't suit Sonic Youth but thet do suit flagons<hic>.

Yea it's a bit crap that they are playing in a field but the first time i saw them was at Dalymount Stadium and they were amazing. As for giving out about bands playing new stuff, anyone who has ever played in a band knows that you like to play new songs. Also they were excellent at witttnnness a few years ago and played a good mix of stuff.

they were really good at Shepard's Bush last year. Being able to smoke in a venue similarly very good. Played Brother James PCH etc. Margly probably poxy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back