Songwriting (2 Viewers)

tasks no. but bans all the time. i ban myself till i get a sense that its time to start writing again. i was banned from november through to a few months ago, it seems to work for me.

Zero beers-nothing
3 Beers--in the zone
3+ Beers nothing.

Seriously.

I think the greatest impediment to songwriting is other people.when I'm just able to doss on my own I write like billyo.

Yeah,I cant read for shit with gargle on board.

but 3 cans and I'm in the zone tunesmith wise....I think it loosens me up just enough so's I'm not thinking or trying to hard...then by 4 and 5 I'm all over the camp creatively.

If I dont have anything to say I cant write words,but if somethings bothering me or I feel like ripping the piss I'm good to go.

campbell_blog3_block480.jpg

At the start of this year i decided to give up listening to my ipod or reading on the DART into work until I made progress on songs. I have written four songs already this year. I wrote one last year and three in 2008 and am looking to write two more by the end of the year to finish writing an album.

The best advice I ever got about songwriting was from a violent lunatic nutcase friend of a friend which was to work on a song until you're completely happy with it rather than rushing onto the next song.

When I'm happy with my situation, I write a LOT.

In the last six months I've written at least 12 songs. And I would've written twice as many, if I'd had the time.

When things aren't going so well, I write maybe one every three months.

When I'm happy, I can just sit down at an instrument and the ideas come rushing out...

In the last six months I've written at least 12 songs. And I would've written twice as many, if I'd had the time.

When I'm happy, I can just sit down at an instrument and the ideas come rushing out...

you make me SICK...however I am in France drinking good cheap wine and eating Frances only concession to the vegetarian...the crepe. So ballons to your situational contenment..I do envy your appointment Messeiur Milano..last song I wrote by design was for my nephews naming ceremony. Nice but all i've time for.

you make me SICK...however I am in France drinking good cheap wine and eating Frances only concession to the vegetarian...the crepe. So ballons to your situational contenment..I do envy your appointment Messeiur Milano..last song I wrote by design was for my nephews naming ceremony. Nice but all i've time for.

Well, I def envy the your Franco-placement!

I find that the trick is to just be open to it... when it's there, don't be contrived, allow your influences to play out through you and try and stay excited about your songs as long as possible!

Right now... this minute.. I have in my possession a new song no one has heard and I am DYING to play it to someone... you have have to have that passion, or at least have it when you need it...

And god bless the crepe... what I wouldn't do to be in the south of France RIGHT NOW.

Speaking of France....the reason I started this thread was because I was starting to write this, which I did...in France. So thanks for the advice everyone. Some of it really changed my viewpoint and direction, I'll have to say.

I must be the exact opposite of you so. I've been writing fairly consistently for the past 3 years or so, but I definitely write a lot more if things are going bad in life which, ironically enough, they have been for the past 4 or 5.

Not that life has been all bad, it's really good too, but there's been enough badness going on to the extent that I'm literally haemoraging music most of the time. The only problem lately is that I've fallen out of the habit of writing lyrics, which is a whole other kettle of fish.

Anyone got any tips for getting back into lyric writing?

I must be the exact opposite of you so. I've been writing fairly consistently for the past 3 years or so, but I definitely write a lot more if things are going bad in life which, ironically enough, they have been for the past 4 or 5.

Not that life has been all bad, it's really good too, but there's been enough badness going on to the extent that I'm literally haemoraging music most of the time. The only problem lately is that I've fallen out of the habit of writing lyrics, which is a whole other kettle of fish.

readin'!

i tend to get most ideas for the little lyrics i have from reading at nighttime.
reading awesome books that i feel i can in some way relate helps me along. Vonnegut for me is one of those authors.
might sound a bit lame but does the job often for me.
as for vocal melodies, they usually get shouted or sung along with whatever guitar part im playing. nothin fancy

Speaking of France....the reason I started this thread was because I was starting to write this, which I did...in France. So thanks for the advice everyone. Some of it really changed my viewpoint and direction, I'll have to say.

i think this backfired, the next captain a record is called matrimony and sounds note for note identical to the new groom record. great thread i suppose. sadly my family are facists and i cannot attend the launch.

impose a ban.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back