Songs by Irish bands that should have been worldwide hits (1 Viewer)

and by extension

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought of these when this thread was started but couldn't pick out a song. I'd add 'Used, getting Used', or 'How to Have More Fun' to the 2 you posted.

Great band.
Isn't the former Subside?

The latter is decent, listening now. Molten indie guitar sound sends metallic shivers up the spine.

This one... Magnet Force.

Begins with a chorus, then they add another chorus... with molten indie guitars... and those trademark goosebumps. The guitars are off the hook in this track actually.

Classic case of Ian McKaye's quote about a band who are influenced by someone... "they pick up those instruments and try and sound like that band, but because they are not those people, it is something different." Or something to that effect.

And 'Stigmata Errata'

The whole thing is just a soup of gnarly guitars, emotion and chorus.

In similar goosebumps terrain: Leave the Blanket In by Wormholes... very Archers of Loaf type of forty Johnny Blue a day but emotions most ordinary folk can never experience type of stuff... from Ringsend.... the Wormholes.

If you listen to one song by Wormholes, make it this one... the fucking emotions in 3 minutes of pop rock genius.

The latter is decent, listening now. Molten indie guitar sound sends metallic shivers up the spine.

Begins with a chorus, then they add another chorus... with molten indie guitars... and those trademark goosebumps. The guitars are off the hook in this track actually.

Classic case of Ian McKaye's quote about a band who are influenced by someone... "they pick up those instruments and try and sound like that band, but because they are not those people, it is something different." Or something to that effect.

And 'Stigmata Errata'

You forgot to mention THE BASS. Holy shit.

Admission: I saw these many many times back in the day. How To Have More Fun stood out in the set as a total gem. I've never warmed to the recorded version. I found it very disappointing.

And 'Stigmata Errata'

Used, Getting Used was the last track on Humbucker

can hear it here on Youtube (starts around 41 mins in)

You forgot to mention THE BASS. Holy shit.

Admission: I saw these many many times back in the day. How To Have More Fun stood out in the set as a total gem. I've never warmed to the recorded version. I found it very disappointing.
Wasn't this bass player in Tension too?

Floating was a worldwide hit yeah?
Jack White covered it at one point.

Floating was a worldwide hit yeah?
Jack White covered it at one point.

I was at that raconteurs gig where Jack White and Brendan Benson played Floating out of nowhere. People were wondering was it just something they were doing cos the gig was in Dublin but it turned out they played it every night on that tour. Don't think they ever recorded it.

I remember Richie saying he didn't get a penny from them playing it. Pricks.

Worldwide hit I don't know, but I thought this lot had a good chance of making it. This style of rock was big enough at the time. Kings of Leon, The Hives, Jet all that kind of thing.

Graham Hopkins was big news at the time (maybe he still is?) so my guess is he gave it one shot with the first album and moved on when it didn't take off. Lack of manager wouldn't have helped.

Worldwide hit I don't know, but I thought this lot had a good chance of making it. This style of rock was big enough at the time. Kings of Leon, The Hives, Jet all that kind of thing.

Graham Hopkins was big news at the time (maybe he still is?) so my guess is he gave it one shot with the first album and moved on when it didn't take off. Lack of manager wouldn't have helped.

I was at their album launch (first album, maybe. Not sure if they had others). They put on a great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back