Some very strange films (1 Viewer)

Rene

Title says it all.
Miike, Bunuel et al. get plenty of exposure as it is, so I thought I'd post some suggestions for the curious:

And the nominees are:

Alejandro Jodorowsky: The Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre, El Topo.
Woijeich Has: The Manuscript found in Saragossa, The heroic tribulations of Balthasar Kober.
Marco Ferreri: La Grande Bouffe, La derniere femme.
Jan Svankmajer: Conspirators of Pleasure, Faust, Alice (the man is a genius - all of his work is great)
The Bros. Quay: (all their work is great too).
Claude Faraldo: Bof!, Themroc.
Raoul Ruiz: (anything thats available)
Dreyer: Vampyr
Klaus Kinski: Paganini
Werner Herzog: (see Svankmajer comments)

That's enough for the time being, any other suggestions ?? (and please don't mention "Salo"...)

More to follow.....

Dziga Vertov`s Man With A Movie Camera - with Micheal Nymans music/soundtrack.
Exhilarating!!

Last good (maybe weird?) movie i saw was Roman Polanski`s The Tenant.

Aguiree - the wrath of God (Herzog/Kinski) -
is a favouriite of mine.Weird at times i guess.

Nothing beats Bunuel`s Simon of the Desert for wackiness though.

Rimbaud said:
Dziga Vertov`s Man With A Movie Camera - with Micheal Nymans music/soundtrack.
Exhilarating!!

Last good (maybe weird?) movie i saw was Roman Polanski`s The Tenant.

Aguiree - the wrath of God (Herzog/Kinski) - is a favouriite of mine.Weird at times i guess.

Nothing beats Bunuel`s Simon of the Desert for wackiness though.
Tenant is great; . not seen it for ages
Aguirre too
see Bunuel's Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie? or THe Exterminating Angel? - v.enjoyable headfuckery

Polanski, what a plonker.
Am I alone in thinking that his films (apart from Chinatown) are worse than his crimes against children?

Actually, I only recently saw "Che?" ("What?"), and thought it was quite funny.
Its a bit of a surreal sex comedy, a young, scantily clad nubile girrul winds up in a bizarre mansion full of libertines and oddballs.
Marcello Mastroianni is brilliant as usual, and the other assorted weirdoes are hilarious.
Definitely not your usual Polanski, then.

Worth a look if you've nothing better to do and have some drugs left over from the night before.

peter greenaway's films

drowing by numbers, the cook the thief his wife her lover, belly of an architect

weird AND boring! he even makes the sex unsexy

films for placenta-eating bourgeois art farts

the best, and at the same time, the worst Klaus Kinski film is definitely Crawlspace, where he *plays* a nusto landlord who crawls between the walls of his house and looks at then kills his tenants...

on a completely differnet note, I watched Starship Troopers 2 the other night...never, and I mean, never get this film out...it is possibly the worst film I have ever seen.

snakybus said:
peter greenaway's films

drowing by numbers, the cook the thief his wife her lover, belly of an architect

weird AND boring! he even makes the sex unsexy

films for placenta-eating bourgeois art farts
ah here. the cook etc is great.
Helen Mirren - seed
and Drowning by Numbers is ok too

Rene said:
Polanski, what a plonker.
Am I alone in thinking that his films (apart from Chinatown) are worse than his crimes against children?

Actually, I only recently saw "Che?" ("What?").
I like Polanski; Bitter Moon is shit alright and Death and The Maiden isn't wonderful but the others esp Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion, Chinertown, Cul De Sac are great

Imho, filmmakers like David Lynch, David Cronenberg & Peter Greenway are a bit too "commercial" for their own good, too self-consciously arty-farty.
But then I'm probably saying this because I watched most of their films under the influence of an array of chemicals one summer long ago, and one's tolerance for weird shit goes up dramatically after that kind of experience...

Hence this thread, to let other unsuspecting folks in on lesser known, more deserving films.

Have we any fans of stop-motion animation here? Thats always good for gratuitous oddness.

Rene said:
Imho, filmmakers like David Lynch, David Cronenberg & Peter Greenway are a bit too "commercial" for their own good, too self-consciously arty-farty.
But then I'm probably saying this because I watched most of their films under the influence of an array of chemicals one summer long ago, and one's tolerance for weird shit goes up dramatically after that kind of experience...

Hence this thread, to let other unsuspecting folks in on lesser known, more deserving films.

Have we any fans of stop-motion animation here? Thats always good for gratuitous oddness.

Nightmare B4 Krissmas = Greatest S.M.A. 4 EVAH!
Seriously, little Otik = Highly Overrated.
Brothers quay though = yeah and Svankmajer has to be said, even if you've never seen his shit coz he's the one people know, even without having seen his shit.

Alan Remorse said:
i love lynch and cronenberg. stop trying to look alternative.
I don't try...:cool:

I haven't got anything against them, and quite like *some* of their films.

And, in case you hadn't read the first post; I said that such directors get enough coverage as it is, and that the thread aimed to let people interested in 'odd' films give recommendations on less well known, but more deserving filmmakers.

That is all.

For those of you who like 'he Nightmare before Christmas' I suggest you check out the short "The Sandman" , directed by Paul Berry, who did the Nightmare's animation, and who also worked on "The phantom Menace" , iirc.
"The secret adventures of Tom Thumb" by the Bolex Bros, is pretty cool too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back