Soldiers Take Half (1 Viewer)

fenix

Website
Visit site
In this months edition of Rhythm Magazine, a drummers magazine, they had an interview with the drummer from the future kings of spain and they asked him:

"What is the best drum performance you have ever witnessed?"

and he said

"I went to a gig in Dublin and there was a band called Soldiers Take Half - only kids, but their drummer was unbelievable! Relentless and so precise. The kit was falling apart and didnt have a mic, but that didn't stop him. An unbelievable talent that i was privileged to see in this dingy pub. Hope he's still playing."

If you want to see it for yourself you can always buy it or just go into tower records and read it.

"the kit was falling apart"
"dingy pub"
i love it, he can't resist throwing the digs in one way or another..

big deal though, we all know theres loads of really amazing musicians in the "underground" or whatever in ireland, people way more talented and inventive than what passes for rock stars these days..

future kings of spain are the most godawful live band i've ever seen.

still though, big up the underground... etc...

in fairness, your opinions on music are completely moot after "slanted and enchanted is terrible - they couldn't even play their instruments" - so you may as well stop branding every other band 'the worst band you've ever seen' (i thought that was the thrills anyway?)

andrew

eh? ive never seen the thrills. perhaps your confusing this with the worst band i've ever heard. along with the stooges like.

i thought the reason why slanted and enchanted is so good is because it sounds like they can't play their instruments...
and alan come on...the stooges....you better be having a joke boyo.....!baggyyyy

In fairness have to aggree with Jamie here.
I think he was talking about that gig in the lower deck awhile back (soilders with serpents and someone else) and I think the drumkit that was used that night was shit (sorry to whomever owns it). And the lower deck is a "dingy pub". I'm surprised he didn't mention the stench of piss that usually abounds down there.
Brian is a great guy and as a drummer I love he's "everyone should only be allowed play with hi-hats and a snare" proposition so that drummers can learn how to play before they get there hands on all those crazy crashes and all that fancy shit to mask the fact they can't play very well.

He shoulda seen him with Scared Shitless.

It's still a load of bollocks that Scared Shitles never recorded their songs, they should do a demo just to document it.

that'd be great, how'd we get those songs recorded though...? i was actually playing one of the new songs about half and hour ago, thinking it was a shame we had never recorded it...

i have a dictaphone recording of around half of one of the new scientific bong songs..but i'm pretty sure that tape is lost along with the cat o'nine tails shit.
re: alan 'i was only joking' - ha you say that a lot. nobody thought it was a joke at the time. just admit it man, you don't know anything about music and when you try and lay down yer own opinions you get it wrong beyond all belief! nah just buzzin..or yam i?

donal - waht horror soundtracks?

agree with stephen/jamie - the lower deck is a dingy bar and that drum kit isn't exactly some serious DW shit..

the new mastodon album is amazing. anywan want to go hunt for the white whale with me?

andrew

guess what i said came out the wrong way; i was merely "attempting" to comment on the way these music mainstream mags jizz themselves over "the hottest new acts" and pay no attention whatsoever to the "dingy" gigs...

fair enough though lads, i know when i've jumped beyond a conclusion or two..

Here Fogey Bear, have you heard that band Zombi? They pretty much admit that they're a total rip-off of Goblin but who cares.

Youse should record the music in Kilcoole and I'll do the vocals over the phone from prison like Dr.J -cooool. No, I'll just do the vocals whenever I can? I'd like to have it, even if we never put it out, just not to forget it all, some of the newer songs were way better. But it would be legend to make it a split tape with the Shitless.

yeah cormo - started a thread about zombi on the bauld general forum about a hundred years ago. really dig what i've heard. there's a noise guy called (or was called) Zombi (or Zombie? or Xombie? maybe all 3) who i dig too.
one of the guys from Sigh has a 'soundtracks' band that i haven't heard yet...seems to be a similar goblin vibe but maybe doomier. they say they have some ancient drum made out of a human skull which they had to smuggle out of tibet. who doesn't? posers.

andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back