Sociable Cooking - The Return (1 Viewer)

2 Onion, chopped
2 Red Pepper, chopped into strips
8 Cloves Garlic, thinly sliced or crushed
1 Cup Green Lentils
2 Tin Red Kidney Beans, drained
2 Tin Chopped Tomatoes

4 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
4 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
Ground Black Pepper, approx. 1 Teaspoon
1 Teaspoon Mixed Herbs

12 Sun-dried Tomatoes, Chopped (Preferably from a jar, not dried)
Juice of 4 Limes
4 Teaspoons Tabasco Sauce

Yogurt or Crème Fraiche
Cheese

This does 8 people.

I don't mind getting the ingredients together for the chile if people bring tortillas, creme fraiche, rice etc. Someone could even fry strips of chicken to add for meatronic people.

That sounds yummy :)
I think there's 9 people going so far, so the ingredients divided out wont be much.

FRIDAY WEEK!.

Tell you's now,I'm getting pissed that night.

Cool, can you post the list of ingredients so we can sort out who brings what.

Some meat and dip recipes would be cool.
Still plenty of room for more people if anyone's interested in coming...
The chilli recipe here is fantastic. Followed it a couple of times since I first read it. The marinating and the long cooking time might make it prohibitive for this event but maybe if one was to marinate it at home and bring it along. I don't know.

The Guardian said:
Chilli con carne

Leon's take on the original uses braised-to-the-point-of-falling-apart chunks of beef chuck rather than mince, which is what most people would expect. The benefit is that there's more flavour in the bigger pieces, and if we all had a bit more time in the world I'm sure more people would choose to do it like this. It gives you more control about which bit of the animal is used too, which is a good thing. Apart from that, it is the usual bossa-nova party on your palate that it's supposed to be.
Satisfies four very hungry gringos
1 heaped tsp dried chilli flakes
2½ tsps ground cumin
2 tsps dried oregano
1 tsp cinnamon
5 sprigs of thyme, tied together with string
5 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
500g braising beef, chuck works well, roughly chopped into 4cm chunks
3 tbsp olive oil
1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
1 heaped tsp coriander seeds
Half a red chilli (or more if you like it hot), thinly sliced
2 Spanish onions, cut into large dice
2 carrots, cut into small dice
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 x 400g tins of kidney beans, drained (If using dried beans, soak about 200g overnight in cold water and add at the same point in the recipe as the tinned ones.)
One small red onion, thinly sliced
Juice of one lime
Salt
Put the dried chilli, ground cumin, oregano, cinnamon, thyme and half the garlic into a dish and add the beef. Turn the meat to coat and leave in the fridge to marinate for a few hours - overnight if possible.
Heat the olive oil in a deep stew pot over a medium heat and gently fry the cumin and coriander seeds for a few minutes until you start to smell them.
Whack up the heat, stir in the beef with the thyme and fry on all sides, picking up a good brown colour. Add some salt, the fresh chilli, remaining garlic, Spanish onions and carrots and keep stirring until the onions are transparent and the carrots soft - about 15-20 minutes.
Tip in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes before the kidney beans join in the fun.Pour in water just to cover, and simmer for an hour with
the lid on. Then take the lid off and simmer for up to an hour more, until the meat is very tender and the whole lot has become quite thickened.
In a little bowl squeeze the lime juice over the thinly sliced red onion; turn the onions over with a spoon a few times, then leave to macerate for half an hour.
Finish by adding a good pinch of ground cumin to the chilli to give fresh flavour to the slow-cook. Lastly check the seasoning and consistency - if it looks a little dry, just slowly stir in water until it is pleasingly loose.
Have all the necessaries on hand: sour cream (we use good-quality yoghurt instead), macerated onions, wedges of lime and a ukulele player.

Right, I'm in.

I can bring ingredients, maybe some baked treats (if there's nothing going on the previous evening) but I won't be able to do much preperation that day, work innit. Obviously, happy to chop/stir/shout at inferior chefs on the night

Those of you that haven't met me, don't expect much, my personality (such as it is) is more of an internet thing.

Can people pick something off the list (courtesy of squiggle) , also telling me what you're bringing isn't such a bad idea. This should cover both recipes. if more stuff is needed let me know, squiggle is bringing some marinated meat.

Large Block of Cheese
1/2 dozen Fresh Tomatoes
Net of Onions, Garlic and Lettuce & Two tins of Tomatoes
3 Peppers
Box of Taco Shells
2 packets of Flour Tortillas
2 tubs Sour cream
2 Tins Kidney Beans
Ripe Avocados, or homemade guacamole

I'll bring the block of cheese and the kidney beans.

What type of cheese? (Red cheddar, or similar?)

Can people pick something off the list (courtesy of squiggle) , also telling me what you're bringing isn't such a bad idea. This should cover both recipes. if more stuff is needed let me know, squiggle is bringing some marinated meat.

Large Block of Cheese
1/2 dozen Fresh Tomatoes
Net of Onions, Garlic and Lettuce & Two tins of Tomatoes
3 Peppers
Box of Taco Shells
2 packets of Flour Tortillas
2 tubs Sour cream
2 Tins Kidney Beans
Ripe Avocados, or homemade guacamole
Well I can certainly look after the veggies without going to any hassle. There's a decent veggie shop near my work. So I can do
Fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, lettuce, tinned tomatoes and probably avocado too. I'll also get some limes.

I could get the other shit too, if needs be.

I'm going to marinade either beef or chicken strips for Fajitas. I'll bring some limes too, can't have too many limes.

I'll take tortillas and chips out of the press, also whichever of the meats Squiggle isn't bringing.
And limes too, in case people forget.

I'll bring Jalepinos,what else?

Does anyone know where one might get Monteray Jack cheese?

Bollocks, Legion of 2 launch that night. Decisions. I'll probably just do neither. That's what I normally do. Ah yes, good old neither.

Right, I'm in.

I can bring ingredients, maybe some baked treats (if there's nothing going on the previous evening) but I won't be able to do much preperation that day, work innit. Obviously, happy to chop/stir/shout at inferior chefs on the night

Those of you that haven't met me, don't expect much, my personality (such as it is) is more of an internet thing.

i wanted to go to this but i forgot about Legion of Two.
ah well. next time maybe., very jealous reading all the grub being made!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back