Smart stupid bastards (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I feel the school system is such an awful crock of shite that I find it very hard to understand why anyone would ever stand up for it.

Continououssssss assssseessssments!!! Especially in spel-ling. THan Ide dú rreely well!"

in all seriousness though, can anyone come up with a solution to this? one that can actually include less well-off schools?

I got my education bought for me.Even though Im mad smart I just couldnt be arsed so Dad bought it for me.Im in the middle of my third year off of four while I get my degree,which is already in the post,thanks off shore bank account.

there is no perfect assessment system. no one has ever come up with one , and no one has ever had one. in order to judge exactly how competent / hardworking/ levelheaded some one is, you would need to see themworking in that job over aboutten years time. No one, ever , anywhere , has even had a scintilla of a shred of an iota of a good plan for a school system.

Course, you could always do what my former American principal did and change the entrance exam to multiple choice. Stupid cunt.

ICUH8N said:

he keeps coming in and telling us stories about having to sing in fromt of the other parents and how the whole thing is generally cringefull. but he and his wife are creative types and wanted their kids to be free to explore and blah blah blah

I know five or six people who went to steiner schools (no irish ones though) they're all really nice, mellow, polite people. They're also completely incapable of functioning in the modern world, working for anyone, dealing with authority etc. (yes, generalising, I only know six. blah)
Depending on your point of view, this is not necessarily a bad thing; If I had a vast inheritance ready to pass on to my spawn, and knew that they'd have it easy financially and could do what they wanted with their lives, I'd probably do it too.

Hang on Billy.

In school:
1. It's not about how talented or original you are, but how willing you are to toe the line and curtail original thought in order to get the highest possible results
2. It's not about how intelligent you are but how efficient you are at regurgitating a load of unoriginal, prescribed claptrap
3. The odds are stacked in favour of rich people

In life:
1. It's not about how talented or original you are, but how willing you are to toe the line and curtail original thought in order to get the highest possible results
2. It's not about how intelligent you are but how efficient you are at regurgitating a load of unoriginal, prescribed claptrap

Perfect preparation for life!

I'm mostly ok with the Irish system. I think that, with certain exceptions that its very difficult to allow for, if you want something enough you can get it.

Unlike say, America, where you have to be incredibly rich, incredibly dedicated or incredibly lucky to get into a good college, education is free and acceptance to courses is based on merit. If you fuck up you can repeat. If you feel like having a nervous breakdown or bumming around the Hebrides for a year you can take time out.

Anyway, continuous assessment (which is potentially just as flawed as the exam system) is being phased in in colleges and secondary schools now anyway.

People who do apocalyptically badly/incredibly brilliantly in exams and then brag about how little study they did are 'tards though. Oscar Wilde used to sit around Oxford all day eating blancmange and wearing hats and then would scuttle back to his room and spend the whole night studying.

Mostly the point of that anecdote was that I like the word blancmange.

snakybus said:
Hang on Billy.

In school:

1. Mostly in exams it's not about "toeing the line" so much as it is about "knoeing the answer".
2. What subjects are you talking about here? Or is this just general griping? Cos unoriginal claptrap or not, the square on the hypotenuse is prolly still equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides?
3. How so? Many of the highest ranking schools on the league tables are state-run public schools. And I doubt that flashing some bling is going to help you much in your Irish aural.

snakybus said:
Hang on Billy.

In school:

In life:

Perfect preparation for life!

Hmmmm... perhaps you know something you shouldn't. But excellent point. I'll give you a C.

theweeyin said:
I had a friend once who was sitting a philosophy exam with weird questions. example:

Q. Is this a question?

His answer?: If this is an answer.

He got full marks for that paper.
Genius.

this is the second-worst joke in history, narrowly beaten by

I had a friend once who was sitting a philosophy exam with weird questions. example:

Q. What is audacity?

His answer?: This is.

school exams are there for the taking. just learn what's on the syllabus.

the actual test of intelligence is whether you are forward thinking enough to put in the shitty learning work for some subjects and the mild intellectual strain required for others (eg maths, chemistry, etc) in the knowledge that ultimately you'll walk out of there the same as everyone else except with a better chance of higher earnings and/or a further education in a field you actually care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back