Slumdog Not-Quite-Millionaires (3 Viewers)

Fuck those kids.
They should be out learning English, working in a factory or
scavenging for plastic in a dump, not poncing about in front of a
camera.

I'm a freegan of the movie world.
I never pay for movies I watch that exploit children, animals.

according to the BBC (and that article) the kids are being put through school until they're 18, then they get their cash... how much that cash is wasn't said.

If they were the white kids of expats it would be a fucking outrage.
But they'd never try to pull that shit, those white parents are too smart.
Plus the roles were for Indian kids.
Good strategy.

According to the article one of them sleeps under a sheet corrugated tin or something every night.
Not much use having to wait until you're 18 for your cash in that situation.

The story is in the Indo via the Telegraph.
An idiot's version of a liar's tale.

There is a very similar story on the BBC website if you look hard enough, dated 21st January, which corroberates a lot of the information.
They must all be lying sure. Strange Guy is right, those kids are the real Slumdog Millionaires.

Mumbai has kicked off.

Protests in India over 'Slumdog' movie
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0127/india.html

I saw a great protest when I was in New Delhi.
There was a TV station that was about to air an interview with a
young couple, a Muslim and a Hindu, who had to elope because
of the religious tension in their villages.
A bunch of Hindu lads showed up with banners of Shiva and
here's me thinking they were going to burn some incense and
have an oul pray.
They smashed up all the cars parked nearby instead.
Fair play.

haha look at the fuckin muscles on this!

worlds-strongest-dog.jpg

What exactly does Danny Boyle owe this kid?
He gave him an opportunity and paid him for it.
He's likely the person who's done most for this kid his whole life, yet he's getting shit for it?
The problem is a much larger one than this poor boy, there are God knows how many kids living in poverty over there and pointing the finger at Danny Boyle doesn't do any good.

This is typical conservative b.s. as far as I can see.
Like Red Wedge artists being 'outed' for having wealthy parents or Al Gore's gaff suddenly being a story.
Conservatives like to point out some perceived hypocrisy on the part of those speaking out about a problem as it takes the focus off the real issue.

Every minute or column inch spent on this topic is one not spent on the issue of why there are so many kids in squalor in the first place.

You could argue that Danny Boyle has done a measure of good for these kids by simply raising awareness of what most of us ignore.

Haha this is hilarious. It's amazing how people will defend a film to the death just because they like it, but won't buy clothes from Primark or shit like that.

The facts as they appear here are that this film has made millions worldwide, but for a years work those two kids, who were main characters in the film, were paid €530 and €1870 each. That's a disgrace.
It's just a typical example of exploitation in India, basically making Western profits after paying Eastern wages.
What those kids should be paid at least is what any actor would get for a year's work in America. There is plenty of money for it.
This is the real issue. It's exactly this kind of Western exploitation that is responsible for conditions in poorer countries, yet because it's some film that people liked, people are actually defending it.
The hypocrisy isn't perceived, it is real and existing and easy to see.

Haha this is hilarious. It's amazing how people will defend a film to the death just because they like it, but won't buy clothes from Primark or shit like that.

The facts as they appear here are that this film has made millions worldwide, but for a years work those two kids, who were main characters in the film, were paid €530 and €1870 each. That's a disgrace.
It's just a typical example of exploitation in India, basically making Western profits after paying Eastern wages.
What those kids should be paid at least is what any actor would get for a year's work in America. There is plenty of money for it.
This is the real issue. It's exactly this kind of Western exploitation that is responsible for conditions in poorer countries, yet because it's some film that people liked, people are actually defending it.
The hypocrisy isn't perceived, it is real and existing and easy to see.

Well, I can't be sure, but if you paid everyone on that movie the going rate in the USA I would guess there wouldn't have been a movie at all.
They don't have millions to start with, just whatever they can cobble together from investors. I wouldn't be surprised if what they were paid was the going Bollywood rate. Maybe we could rattle those cunts' cages.

India has its own set of problems that have resulted in this kind of poverty - rigid class structure, an inert bureaucracy and a population that is growing out of control amongst others.
I'm not sure we can blame Western exploitation on all their ills.
Pouring some shame on the Indian govt for a while might get more results.
Who knows?

Does Primark still exist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back