Slate Jape Review (1 Viewer)

DontMugYourself

Website
Visit site
Did anyone read the Jape review in the Slate this issue?

A bit harsh don't you think?? Any opinions? Not too bad overall but that Volta press release sounds pretty damn bad.

How can you insult Donal Dineens show in one issue and praise it to the hilt in a previous issue??

The slate can be funny sometimes but, I think they regularly go too far ie, current piece on suicide

They said this:

japeslate.gif

JAPE - COSMOSPHERE

Over the past year and a half Richie Egan has become one of the most wanted musicians in Ireland. He is, of course, the bass player with electrifying instrumental rock band The Redneck Manifesto. His compelling animated performances with TRM has already resulted in him fast becoming a cult figure in Ireland. Furthermore, he has toured and recorded with David Kitt's band, and collaborated with tons of others (Goodtime John, Ann Scott, Herv, Somadrone, Halite, Martin Finke).

Richie's multi-flavoured musical world changes from day-to-day. He could be playing a huge European festival with Kittser one day and an entire electronic set performed entirely on a Game Boy the next. His erratic styles and diverse tastes mark him as a true enigma, a star of the underground and a music junkie kid with gallons of charisma.

But despite all this collaborating Richie has been promising himself for sometime to knuckle down to making his own solo records as Jape. Late last year he housed up in a house in Avoca, Co. Wicklow for a week and returned with an album he calls Cosmosphere. This is modern pop music full of drones, electronics, acoustic instruments, the sounds and styles that rattle around Richie's mind and ignite his dreams. It sways and swaggers from boy/girl pop, love songs, cruising motorik rhythms ala Yo La Tengo or Stereolab, the raw acoustic emotion of The Boss, hip-hop beats and melodic electronics.

His recent performances with his live band on the Volta Sounds tour saw them elevated to full-on space-pop mode. Cosmosphere is released on May 16 on Volta Sounds. Information on live dates to follow.

That's the one Volta sent out when Richie was playing Road.... don't think it's too bad, as press releases go... I mean, the object of the exercise is to get the attention of an editor or journalist who may or may not be familiar with the product/service, isn't it?

I guess it makes the case for tailoring your press releases for specific audiences.

Overall I dont think its that bad but, I think the end bit is a bit harsh, about his voice? I heard Jape live before and while he's not pavarotti he's not the worst and then there's "earnest nonsense" What the hell is that about?

I haven't even heard all the Jape record yet (only a few tracks) what is it like?? Maybe its not that harsh, based on what I haven't heard off the record? And what is the end song they are going on about?

I really like the Jape record. I spose the attempts to make it varied don't sit well with everyone. Not the worst review and all.
2 bassplayers? I thought they had 7?
Good to know the reviewer got the facts straight first :)

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
Overall I dont think its that bad but, I think the end bit is a bit harsh, about his voice? I heard Jape live before and while he's not pavarotti he's not the worst and then there's "earnest nonsense" What the hell is that about?

I haven't even heard all the Jape record yet (only a few tracks) what is it like?? Maybe its not that harsh, based on what I haven't heard off the record? And what is the end song they are going on about?

so you're saying the review of the record is harsh,
but you havn't heard the record yet.

Good grief!

:rolleyes:

It's bang on on the "should be embarressed by press release" bit though. Sheesh! I know I've written some dreadful tripe about meself by times, but "he is an enigma"...? (I'm just jealous 'cos I want to say that about myself)

my name is the goone
therefore i write unintelligent gibberish
its name is the slate
slating everything is its aim!!!
dude the goone shouldnt have to teach people shit

Originally posted by michaelknight
It's bang on on the "should be embarressed by press release" bit though. Sheesh! I know I've written some dreadful tripe about meself by times, but "he is an enigma"...? (I'm just jealous 'cos I want to say that about myself)

its doubtful if richie wrote that press release in the first place anyway. leagues's doing most probably.

d'yez not think?

there is no way in the world he would have wrote
that shit about himself

its sounds queer
the slate deserved to hop on that bus (the 69 aston quay)

my guess would be some other dicklicker wrote it

they may as well have thrown in "bigger than jesus"
self indulgent bollox or in this case not self other person

Gibberish

Originally posted by thegoone
there is no way in the world he would have wrote
that shit about himself

its sounds queer
the slate deserved to hop on that bus (the 69 aston quay)

my guess would be some other dicklicker wrote it

they may as well have thrown in "bigger than jesus"
self indulgent bollox or in this case not self other person

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back