Skinny Wolves in NME (1 Viewer)

skinny wolves said:
ha! maybe some IRISH publications might actually print some of the listings we send them...

I was thinking about this today for some reason. How a lot of decent small gigs/clubs whatever don't seem to get much of a mention in the irish music press(hot press really)Is it because nobody bothers sending listings in or as Jamie says,when it's sent in they don't print it?

Do you have to pay for adds or something to get listed? And why are small gigs of "up and coming" bands never in there? I know a lot of people couldn't care,but what kind of difference could it make if they did.
I couldn't care about NME,but it's cool that SW gets a mention,and a bit of a joke that they get a mention in a Uk mag before a local one.

pete said:
gal_04.jpg

HAH! Never Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth!

(they done it out of the blue)

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I was thinking about this today for some reason. How a lot of decent small gigs/clubs whatever don't seem to get much of a mention in the irish music press(hot press really)Is it because nobody bothers sending listings in or as Jamie says,when it's sent in they don't print it?

Do you have to pay for adds or something to get listed? And why are small gigs of "up and coming" bands never in there? I know a lot of people couldn't care,but what kind of difference could it make if they did.
I couldn't care about NME,but it's cool that SW gets a mention,and a bit of a joke that they get a mention in a Uk mag before a local one.
It's always been the same though.
Irish publications will print listings alright but they never really seem to 'get' how nights like SW, the Ballroom, Lazybird, Electric City are hugely important and so they never really focus on them.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:

some publications just print them only when it suits them... others ring you up after you've sent in your listings to see if you will pay for advertising space off them basically to list them, etc, etc!!!

dublin is grate

i used to do a press mailout for all of our gigs but hardly anywhere printed them. when the event guide changed its format and stopped printing the blurbs i couldn't be arsed anymore. maybe some new database of sympathetic journos could be compiled?

but what newspapers/mags? event guide? ticket? mongrel? totally dublin? etc? very few of those would devote regular coverage to underground music imo (though i could be wrong; easpa measa once had a photo and blurb in the mongrel!)

That's why I specified hot press,I don't really know of,or look at other dublin/ireland mags. There doesn't seem to be a point. I only glance at Hot Press because sometimes there is a mention of a bigger gig i'd be into.
Damo,you think there are sympathetic irish music journo's?

surely some people on here know people in "the industry"... the guy who wrote that mongrel thing knows some of us from years ago so i presume he threw us in for the laugh.. definitly don't think that any of the usual suspects in irish music journalism/media have much interest in anything beyond the latest hype act, whether it be from home or abroad.

damien said:
surely some people on here know people in "the industry". definitly don't think that any of the usual suspects in irish music journalism/media have much interest in anything beyond the latest hype act, whether it be from home or abroad.

Seems to be the case really doesn't it. But,you would've thought someone would've ended up writing for these mags who would have half a clue.

Also,I've always thought that for the most part,the irish music industry(meaning things like mags and maybe some bands etc) have been vey happy being big fish in a little sea. Again using Hot Press as an example,we all know it,but outside ireland who knows it? Whereas something like NME is known around the world,maybe not read or as big as it was,but still known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back