Should i or shouldn't i... (1 Viewer)

drkdrk

Website
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,
for the past few months i've been bouncing around the idea of trying to learn to play the drums.
I've played a little at practice rooms when the drummer is in a forgiving mood and i can keep a straight beat and enjoyed it. I play guitar but i'm not playing with anyone at the moment so i think it could be the perfect opportunity while i have some spare time.
Basically i'm starting from scratch with a view to someday maybe joining a band.
Anybody else start at a relatively late age? Do i need a kit right away?
Any help, tips and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
D
:)

hmmm. its hard to say for late starters..
i would say get a practice pad and sticks(or a small kit like bass drum hihat snare) and maybe get an instructional video that shows you the basics. if you play an instrument already you SHOULD have some sort of rhythm. so itll just be a case of training your arms to work against each other. im sure theres even clips on youtube of how to learn.
hope this helps.

practice on whatever you can at home. drum kits are expensive so i wouldn't bother buying one until you need it. i'd suggest that if you can play a few beats pretty steadily then start a band. being a beginner drummer has way more currency than other instruments 'cos there's always a drummer shortage. you'll learn way quicker playing with people. just make sure they know you're a beginner.

practice rooms have kits but you'll need to be buying cymbals, felts, and sticks. maybe a snare and bass pedal too, depending on where you practice. you can buy cheap cymbal packs that have hats, crash and a ride. grand to get you started. if you're short on cash put a call out for people's old cracked cymbals. they'll sound shit but you'll have something to hit.

I was a late starter, well 20 or something. The best way to learn is as Dmoney said, start by jamming with people or by getting in a band. You learn really fast. I was a bass player and picked up drum stuff this way and learned the basics fast. Don't mind all the instructional books, videos etc.. you can come back to all that when you've taught yourself the basics. Have fun with it try everything you can think of. If you put out some adds you should get yourself a really shit beginner kit for free. If you do it you will never find yourself short of a band/tour/recording.

On the other hand sometimes I wish I never learned. Its expensive when you get a taste for nice gear. (insert junkie joke).

DO IT

I learned the basics of a beat on boxes at 14, then got a snare and went to snare drum lessons for about 3 months. It drove me mental not to have a kit.

I would get something dirt cheap. Snare, kick and hats at least. Some people will tell you to buy practice pad and some sticks and there's so much you can learn. But when you're starting off and wanna learn a beat, this is not gonna satisfy you. A word of warning, it is a pain in the bollocks hauling drums around to gigs.

I'm planning to take up the piano after an 18 year hiatus. I don't think it matters when you learn.

it is a pain in the bollocks hauling drums around to gigs.

Another word of warning - its also a pain in the bollocks taking good care of your kit then hauling it to a gig and watching some dude that can barely play make mincemeat of your drumheads for you.

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful advice, much obliged. I'm looking forward to giving this a go.
Where's a good place in dublin town to get bits and pieces?
sticks for a start, then a practice pad.
Practice for a while then try to find someone looking for a crap drummer to jam with

best place in dublin without a doubt is music maker on wicklow street. the lads in there are real sound and friendly. if you want to have a chat with them about what you need it's best to call in when it's quiet, they're run mad on saturdays.

best place in dublin without a doubt is music maker on wicklow street. the lads in there are real sound and friendly. if you want to have a chat with them about what you need it's best to call in when it's quiet, they're run mad on saturdays.
Cool, i usually walk upstairs when i go in there ::clef::
Is there a typical size stick or is it all down to personal taste?

Cool, i usually walk upstairs when i go in there ::clef::
Is there a typical size stick or is it all down to personal taste?

Most rock/punk/metal drummers I've met seem to use 5a or 5b sticks. Mess around with a few different ones when your in the shop, see what your comfortable with. To add to what Dunchee said music maker is definitely the best shop in dublin but they treat anyone under 20 who isnt with their mammy or daddy like a snot nosed goof who hasnt a clue about drumming and clearly isnt gonna buy anything. Of course that shouldnt be a problem for you but also, they're pretty much a rip off, buying sticks etc work away but if your planning on buying cymbals or a kit your far better off shopping online as you probably already know.

Hey Drkdrk - You've had all the expert advice but I would just add DO IT!! YOu'll be amazed how quickly you develop once you start playing regularly. I started VERY late and had never played drums before and almost immediately found that I wished I'd started sooner! Good luck!

theres a great deal on thomann at the minute. pearl export with budget cymbals and stands for 600. not bad at all for intermediate stuff. the shells are great, cymbals not so much.

Thats a good deal there. I saw a kit in the window of Soundsaround yesterday on Capel st. going for about 325 i think? anyone else see it? I didn't catch the make.

they're pretty much a rip off, buying sticks etc work away but if your planning on buying cymbals or a kit your far better off shopping online as you probably already know.

i dunno, i've found them to undercut thomann on sabians. and if you get in there for one of their random one day sales you can pick up some deadly bargains. there was one yesterday. buy your stcks online if you can though.

i dunno, i've found them to undercut thomann on sabians. and if you get in there for one of their random one day sales you can pick up some deadly bargains. there was one yesterday. buy your stcks online if you can though.

Yeah the freak sales they have can be class, I just meant generally thomann/musicstore etc are cheaper definitely so when theyve got sales on. As for sticks I was talking more about walking past impulse buying one pair not buying in bulk or anything

Right, in the next couple of weeks, i'll put the proverbial toe in the water and see if i can find a band/person of infinite patience to jam with.
In the meantime is there anywhere that does rudimentary lessons or do any of you guys teach beginners?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back