Shepherds Pie (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
Maybe i might make this for dinner later. what do you do?

• fry up a load of mince and maybe some veg
  • add sauce - would any old red pasta sauce do or is there special sauce you need?
  • cook some potatoes, mash them, put them on top - (do you need to add anything to the spuds? cream or something?
  • oven - 200 degrees, 30 mins?
  • eat
thanks. i'll bring some in for everyone tomorrow.

It should be a stock/gravy based, rather than tomato based, meaty experince.

A bit of butter added to the mashed spuds will make them brown well - and tasty too.

Hmmmm... Shepherds Pie is the ultimate comfort food.

tip: fry / cook the mince first.

do not put raw mince into the dish and cover with carrots / potato etc.

Otherwise !bog

gotcha. everything should be cooked fairly thoroughly before going into the dish, i imagine?

i had a colleague who enjoyed eating raw mince meat (ugh !baggyyyy) but she gave it up after catching brucellosis which she reckoned she got off the raw mince...

anyway, i ended up having a shitty pizza for dinner instead. i went to dunnes and got all the ingrediants except for some sort of gravy-like sauce which i couldnt find. could you just use knorr or bisto or something like that? i was expecting to find a packet or jar with "shepherds pie sauce" on it but there was none. i'll have another go tomorrow maybe.

gotcha. everything should be cooked fairly thoroughly before going into the dish, i imagine?

i had a colleague who enjoyed eating raw mince meat (ugh !baggyyyy) but she gave it up after catching brucellosis which she reckoned she got off the raw mince...

anyway, i ended up having a shitty pizza for dinner instead. i went to dunnes and got all the ingrediants except for some sort of gravy-like sauce which i couldnt find. could you just use knorr or bisto or something like that? i was expecting to find a packet or jar with "shepherds pie sauce" on it but there was none. i'll have another go tomorrow maybe.

Yep, a knorr stock cube would work perfectly well - should have mentioned that earlier :eek:

My shepards pie experiences have learnt me the following. Listen to me at your own peril:
If you must use
cute%20cow.jpg
then I'd advise the following:

It's a dark flavoured dish. Try using bay leaves, thyme, parsley and lots of black pepper.

-cook up a finely chopped onion in some oil and little vinegar and honey for a few minutes, throw in some bay leaves too (take these out when you're done but)
-add some finely chopped mushrooms and some beans of your choice
- put in a red knorr stockcube and some marmite. If you don't believe me on the marmite your a FOOL. It's amazing in these kinds of dishes.
- add your mince and cook it up good.
-if you're that way inclined, add a can of tomatoes or some tomato puree

check your consistency at the end. It shouldn't be too wet or it'll fall apart, go for mushy.
hint-layer the bottom of your dish with mash, then sauce, then finish with your mashy top. Go over the top of the mash with a fork for crishpy goodness.

For the sauce use stock, a little bit of Tomato puree, some thyme, a bit of Worchestshire sauce. throw in the cooked meat and onion, add the carrots etc, top with mashed potatoes, cook in the medium oven for about half an hour. Near the end brush melted butter on top and stick it under a hot grill to get a yummy, crunchy crust.

ive got the pie in the oven now (minced cow flesh included). i cooked up way too many spuds and too much mince/veg/sauce stuff and so i mixed up all the spuds and mince into a gooey mess and am half way through eating a big load of it. im no longer very hungry and wont want to eat te pie when its done - will it be ok to lash it in the oven again tomorrow to heat up and eat then?

thanks for all the tips - i'll try them out next time...

Mammy used to always grate a bit of cheese on top of the spuds just before whackin it in the oven when i was younger; gives a lovely golden potato bake texture to the spuds. ooooh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back