Shellac for Dublin (1 Viewer)

Rimbaud said:
Hot Snakes!?!?When?
I`ll find out anyway... - may as well tell us now.
dunno nada bout the hot snakes man.. crossed wires I think

I must say, I'm pretty excited about getting to see shellac again. I'm curious as to the what the people who are bored of them thought of the last record though?(I know it was a very long time ago)
Bernard,there should be another Jehu vid floating around,I had one from the uk tour,full gig from somewhere but not manchester cos that's where I saw them,Ash headlined that gig hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I must say, I'm pretty excited about getting to see shellac again. I'm curious as to the what the people who are bored of them thought of the last record though?(I know it was a very long time ago)
Bernard,there should be another Jehu vid floating around,I had one from the uk tour,full gig from somewhere but not manchester cos that's where I saw them,Ash headlined that gig hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
:eek:

eoinOT said:
You guys should go see Haymarket Riot. I guarantee a good time.

they're a fuckin class band, interviewd em for the zine (which should be out by end of august), very nice guys. Cant believe anyone here has heard of em.

i dont know you hag, but i want your don cab videos.

B for the Spree said:
cool, i do like don cab! esp don cab 2... repeat defender... cool!

seriously tho, i thought you were still watchin vic and bob. when i went upstairs there were still four other people downstairs.. then they were upstairs... i hate being rude (except online).
we kinda sneaked out anyways :) truth is we just wanted to go back to anna's and chill and drink tea and sleep. it was around 3am at that stage... :)

u:m said:
you know you can't keep a secret in ireland so you may as well spill the beans now

nah, big secret. my whole life is based aeound shameful secrets, so keepin this one quiet will be no big deal
heh heh heh, your life is like that too? ;)

i think this is more accurate.

when shellac released those two singles, everyone thought they were the saviours of indie rock. and then came action park. right, so at that stage, there was no one cooler than shellac. those 3 records under your belt, it's going to be hard to touch you.

then big gap... everyone eas expecting something amazing but they got terraform instead. apparently they went through loads of hassle to clear the artwork for the record? waste of time if you ask me. i mean, it's a 'good' rock record but seriously pales in comparison to what had gone before.

and don't get me going on 1,000 hurts and the free cd with the vinyl BULLSHIT. albini has a serious problem finding subject matter for his lyrics.

"so this girl, this high school girl, married this steel worker, he smashed her face open, fucking kill him, KILL HIM IN MY NAME"

yeah, whatever steve.

For me, Shellac aren't about lyrics or tunes anymore.
It's just super-controlled noise and riffing.
I can't listen to any of the albums at moderate volume. It's got to be LOUD!
Seeing them live at serious volume is the perfect choice for me, even if I never buy another record by them again.
I did like 1000 Hurts though.

aoboa said:
For me, Shellac aren't about lyrics or tunes anymore.
It's just super-controlled noise and riffing.
I can't listen to any of the albums at moderate volume. It's got to be LOUD!
Seeing them live at serious volume is the perfect choice for me, even if I never buy another record by them again.
I did like 1000 Hurts though.
so it's about technique and equipment?

As far as Shellac are concerned, yes.
They're not really about 'songs' anymore are they?

aoboa said:
As far as Shellac are concerned, yes.
They're not really about 'songs' anymore are they?
oh. i dunno. they were amazing at writing amazing songs and now going through the motions seems to be enough... you can get computers to do that kind of stuff, no?

hag said:
oh. i dunno. they were amazing at writing amazing songs and now going through the motions seems to be enough...

They were but it sounds to me that over the three albums Albini has distilled their sound down to the very basics. The song element has vanished - not surprising considering how busy they all are.
They never did anything to rival 'Billiard Player Song'.
Still seriously rate them though.

hag said:
you can get computers to do that kind of stuff, no?
Only if you've got a very clever person hitting the buttons.

aoboa said:
They were but it sounds to me that over the three albums Albini has distilled their sound down to the very basics. The song element has vanished - not surprising considering how busy they all are.
They never did anything to rival 'Billiard Player Song'.
Still seriously rate them though.

Only if you've got a very clever person hitting the buttons.
ok, what you see as them distilling their sound down to the basics, i see as them running out of ideas and making really bad songs. i mean, the stuff on terra and 1,000, there's one or two big 'pieces of music' which are impressive for that reason (i think that's what you're referring to? as in the 'ethos' behind those songs...) but the rest of the stuff is actually efforts at songs which are terrible. i think they tried to palm off two records on the strength of a couple of ideas they had each time...
the computer thing was kinda tongue in cheek but only kinda... ;)

Yeah, the really long slow pieces are the best thing about those two albums. No one really does it better.

The 'computer thing' - Super_collider (cristian vogel, jamie lidell) used some computer program to generate all the lyrics for their first album. They weren't very good though...

In saying that, have you seen the new generation of spam that uses random text generation to get around spam filters?
example:
"Ulysses, although somewhat soothed by demon for minivan and defined by bottle of beer.
He called her Ulysses (or was it Ulysses?).Ulysses, the friend of Ulysses and returns home with girl scout related to.
yiddish repentant bathroom saute formatting dwell eaten"
Pretty poetic.
Maybe Shellac should start using that progam for their lyrics ;)

aoboa said:
Yeah, the really long slow pieces are the best thing about those two albums. No one really does it better.

The 'computer thing' - Super_collider (cristian vogel, jamie lidell) used some computer program to generate all the lyrics for their first album. They weren't very good though...

In saying that, have you seen the new generation of spam that uses random text generation to get around spam filters?
example:
"Ulysses, although somewhat soothed by demon for minivan and defined by bottle of beer.
He called her Ulysses (or was it Ulysses?).Ulysses, the friend of Ulysses and returns home with girl scout related to.
yiddish repentant bathroom saute formatting dwell eaten"
Pretty poetic.
Maybe Shellac should start using that progam for their lyrics ;)
that's some cool lyrics right there... sounds like beefheart ;) especially like the words yiddish repentant bathroom... hey hang on a minute, beefheart! what a fucker! ;)

i suppose it's not that nice to say a band is boring just because their last two records were uninteresting... i'd hate if someone did that to me. man, but i can still put those singles on and totally flip out. "i like early shellac" hmmmmmmm, sounds a bit lame.

nah, early shellac sounds great

wingwalker.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back