shell in mayo (2 Viewers)

Solutions
Gardaí break up blockade at Corrib gas terminal site
03/10/2006 - 07:30:11

Gardaí in north Co Mayo have moved to break up the blockade mounted by local residents at the entrance to the Corrib gas terminal site in Bellanaboy.

The protestors have been blocking the site around the clock ever since Shell tried to resume construction work at the terminal last week.

However, they say hundreds of gardaí moved in this morning and carried them away from their positions.

Spokesperson Maura Harrington has accused the authorities of doing Shell's dirty work by clearing a path for construction workers to return to the site.​

they finished that article with the question they used to open it? answering a question with a question is a political favourite but answering a question with the same question that was posed in the first place is something new.

I've a few questions. I should know but I don't.

what market is this gas servicing?
Is there an Irish company capable of developing the pipeline?

http://breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=4268880&p=4z68895&n=4268972&x=&fs=3
McDowell accuses Sinn Féin over Bellenaboy violence
10/11/2006 - 10:51:14

The Minister for Justice has said Sinn Féin is playing a significant role in prompting trouble at the Shell gas terminal site in Co Mayo.

Speaking after this morning's violence at Bellanaboy, Michael McDowell said the gardaí there have his full backing.

He hit out at key figures in Sinn Féin saying: "I want to say to Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness and Caoimhin O’Caolain that this tactic of confronting the Gardaí and of breaking the law to achieve political notoriety won’t succeed.

"We've gone through all forms of due process and we’ve gone through all forms of conciliation. A tiny minority of people continue to confront the law and they are being supported in this by the Sinn Féin party. Provo tactics won’t work."

How come whenever somebody rings the cops to deal with criminals the car is out or nobody is available? How come the car is never out when Shell ring?

was *this* close to headin' over on thursday evening from ucd before realising i was completely skint.
micheál o' seighin (rossport 5) was in ucd during the week, and his reports of the guards in the area pretty much corresponds with this.
one of em spreined a 14 year old girls arm, and now hits her in the arm every morning. (she's there at half 7 every morning)

cunts.

However, they say hundreds of gardaí moved in this morning and carried them away from their positions.​

they did more than that. i was just talking to a good friend who was taking part in the protest. she said she knew the gardai must have been told that they had a free reign with how they were to handle the situation because when she was walking towards the proposed terminal site she was picked up by the first garda she came to and thrown onto the ground. later as the protesters were having a sit down protest to block the road the gardai started picking people up and throwing them into the deep ditches at the sides of the road. these ditiches have rocks at the bottom of them. my friend was thrown into the ditch head-first into a rock. she's ok but has a massive lump on her head and is black and blue all over from being punched and kicked.

one woman tried to help a man who was on the ground being kicked by sticking her leg in the way of a couple of blows. she later had to go to hospital as a result.

my friend said that the pigs were just beating the shit out of everyone. jokes were made by the gardai afterwords about 'winning'. however, when you can't fight back due to the beatings and legal actions that would undoubtedly follow i can't see how it was any sort of competition in the first place.

what's more, the mainstream media coverage has been laughable. every half hour newstalk 106 played a soundbite of mc dowell going on about sinn fein causing trouble while shell released a statement blaming a minority of protesters for the violence. it was a peaceful protest as are all of the shell to sea actions. very one-sided representation going on.

reports all day have been filled with the same right to work and law rhetoric that have filled the media on rossport since the gardai were brought in to clear the road in the last few weeks. mc dowell called the protests "illegal and unlawful", to drive this message through for the soundbites and there have been a deluge of complaints by the state, shell, and the public alike about the right of workers to go to work and the right of shell to build the refinery since they have been given permission through official channels.

don't know about anyone else but i find these standpoints obscure and they fail to address any of the issues of the campaign.

a lot of people i know got battered today. fuck the gardai. :mad:

I seen footage of the cops actions on the 6 o clock news. I neary got sick, throwing people into gripes with a kick. What fucking scum. And then Bertie saying they broke the law and thats what their actions deserved he is coming accross as a totaltarian bastard. I want to know who votes for Fianna fail? WHO?!!!! If people are only voting for Fainna Fail because they think they are supporting De Valeras memory they have something seriously wrong with them. Dont get me started on the progressive democrats and their line up of egotistical members! Why are the government supporting Shell? Did they not sell off the rights to all the gas?!?! Surely this is not democracy?

Shell representative says there were clearly people there intent on violence.

Yes, they're called cops. As far as I know throwing people over a fence into a ditch with God knows what at the bottom of it is not reasonable force.

Of course if they get a claim it's us who end up paying the settlement. Cops don't even get a rap on the knuckles.

If somebody is breaking the law, as is claimed, is the proper procedure not to arrest them? Kicking the crap out of people and beating them off the road is illegal as far as I know.

Bastards.

Are the protesters fighting back at all?

If not it must be really hard not to with the cops acting like the bastards they are.

Fuck sake.

It was amazing hearing Micheál, a 66 year old farmer from Mayo, naming and shaming guards in the area. He was saying how when he was in jail he didn't understand why the younger prisoners hated the police so much, but that now he understands completely. They had no guards in the area at all before all this Shell shit started.

Just saw someone get picked up and fucked over a fence on the side of the road by a guard, and a guy whose face was completely covered in blood. I honestly can't imagine anyone watching that, seeing the Guards getting so fucking heavy-handed and thinking it's justified.

I wish I'd gone and gotten enough evidence to have one of the cunts up in fuckin' court.

Uggggggggggggh.

If not it must be really hard not to with the cops acting like the bastards they are.

very much doubt it. there were two arrests and no charges. if there was violent reactions from the protesters you could bank on more arrests and at least some charges.

I don't know if they're fighting back, but I'd be fairly certain from any encounter I've had with members of Shell to Sea that there's no way they'd have started anything remotely violent, which is why I'm at least hoping people will see that it's just the unprovoked Guards being fucking cunts.
But then, if they stand up for themselves there, they'll have to be prepared to stand up for themselves in court too, cos they'll be hauled the fuck away in no time.

very much doubt it. there were two arrests and no charges. if there was violent reactions from the protesters you could bank on more arrests and at least some charges.

I don't know if they're fighting back, but I'd be fairly certain from any encounter I've had with members of Shell to Sea that there's no way they'd have started anything remotely violent, which is why I'm at least hoping people will see that it's just the unprovoked Guards being fucking cunts.
But then, if they stand up for themselves there, they'll have to be prepared to stand up for themselves in court too, cos they'll be hauled the fuck away in no time.

I was hoping that there was no fighting back, if there was any the cops would have an excuse for the violence obviously. Been talking to the Amnesty group over here about showing some of the revolt videos over here, I'm thinking the Rossport stuff would be ideal.

I was hoping that there was no fighting back, if there was any the cops would have an excuse for the violence obviously.

yeah, they just make things up instead. i really hope people see through the bullshit from shell and the govt. the shell spokesman on the telly looked like he was making it all up in his head on the spot.

it really is one of the dodgiest fuckin' processes ever. like, the shit about shell organising a totally fucked poll to make it seem like 60% of locals were in favour of the pipeline and that kinda shadiness is so typical of the operation as a whole.
so frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back