Shelf Classics (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
Films, Books or Albums you own but have never got around to, and sometimes unlikely to ever, take down from the shelf to play/watch/read.
(idea nicked from Adam Buxton)

for example:
Film: House of Flying Daggers
Book: Alexei Sale, Taken
Album: Nada Surd, High Low

I really hate the idea of having a book on my shelf that I haven't read. I feel like a fraud when I do

Film: Sunday supplement freebies-any of the pile
Book: Robert Vaughan: A Fortunate Life
Album: probably something a mate recorded , bought out of duty/duress

Robert Fisk - The Great War For Civilisation

Roger Penrose - The Road To Reality
If Albert Einstein were alive, he would have a copy of The Road to Reality on his bookshelf. So would Isaac Newton. This may be the most complete mathematical explanation of the universe yet published, and Roger Penrose richly deserves the accolades he will receive for it. That said, let us be perfectly clear: this is not an easy book to read. The number of people in the world who can understand everything in it could probably take a taxi together to Penrose's next lecture. Still, math-friendly readers looking for a substantial and possibly even thrillingly difficult intellectual experience should pick up a copy (carefully--it's over a thousand pages long and weighs nearly 4 pounds) and start at the beginning, where Penrose sets out his purpose: to describe "the search for the underlying principles that govern the behavior of our universe." Beginning with the deceptively simple geometry of Pythagoras and the Greeks, Penrose guides readers through the fundamentals--the incontrovertible bricks that hold up the fanciful mathematical structures of later chapters. From such theoretical delights as complex-number calculus, Riemann surfaces, and Clifford bundles, the tour takes us quickly on to the nature of spacetime. The bulk of the book is then devoted to quantum physics, cosmological theories (including Penrose's favored ideas about string theory and universal inflation), and what we know about how the universe is held together. For physicists, mathematicians, and advanced students, The Road to Reality is an essential field guide to the universe. For enthusiastic amateurs, the book is a project to tackle a bit at a time, one with unimaginable intellectual rewards.

book: godel, escher, bach - i tried, and gave up about a third of the way through.
interestingly, given the post above, the same happened with roger penrose's the emperor's new mind.

film: the passenger by michelangelo antonioni. got it as a christmas present from my sister. never felt compelled to watch it
book: gravity's rainbow. made 4 false starts so far. some day
album: swagger by the blue aeroplanes. any good?

i've had pynchon's against the day on the shelf since i got the hardback from my girlfriend when it came out. currently propping up a speaker. unlikely to be read anytime soon.

his new one, inherent vice, is out soon. a noir tale about a slacker private eye apparently [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inherent_Vice[/ame]

Album: Hips and Makers, by Kristen Hersh. I bought it over 10 years ago and I've never played it. Every time I go through the collection to sell some off, it somehow survives the cut. Even though I know I'll never listen to it.

Film: Fahrenheit 9/11. Bought cheap in Xtravision, never watched and probably never will. Don't know why I got it really as Moore annoys me.
Also, the Return of Spinal Tap. I'm just afraid of how shit it will be.

Album: Hips and Makers, by Kristen Hersh. I bought it over 10 years ago and I've never played it. Every time I go through the collection to sell some off, it somehow survives the cut. Even though I know I'll never listen to it.

you eejit, that's a great album!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back