Seamus Heaney / John Banville (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
coming here for the Man Literary Festival, going to see them lecture on different days, one on my birthday!
lookin forward to seeing them speak.

has anyone read The Sea?
i started The Untouchables aaaaaaages ago but only got halfway through.....

I always really liked Heaney. He was in both syllabi for both times I did the leavin, so I got to go through a fair bit of his stuff. I dunno, maybe he doesn't make as much sense to city folk, but some of it really affected me at the time.

Heaney1.jpg

like a meat market for GAA wankers on pro plus

This is by Seamus Heaney, and I think it's deadly:

from Three Drawings

3. A Haul

The one that got away
from Thor and the giant Hymer
was the world-serpent itself.
The god had baited his line

with a ox-head, spun it high
and plunged it into the depths.
But the big haul came to an end
whtn Thor's foot went through the boards

and Hymer panicked and cut
the line with a bait-knife. Then
roll-over, turmoil, whiplash!
A Milky Way in the water.

The hole he smashed in the boat
opened, the way Thor's head
opened out there on the sea.
He felt at one with space,

unroofed and obvious -
suprised in his empty arms
like some fabulous high-catcher
coming down without the ball.

So I went looking for some Heaney, and I found this. This got me.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ipa/heaney/bogland.html

Bogland

Seamus Heaney

for T. P. Flanagan

We have no prairies To slice a big sun at evening-- Everywhere the eye concedes to Encrouching horizon,

Is wooed into the cyclops' eye Of a tarn. Our unfenced country Is bog that keeps crusting Between the sights of the sun.

They've taken the skeleton Of the Great Irish Elk Out of the peat, set it up An astounding crate full of air.

Butter sunk under More than a hundred years Was recovered salty and white. The ground itself is kind, black butter

Melting and opening underfoot, Missing its last definition By millions of years. They'll never dig coal here,

Only the waterlogged trunks Of great firs, soft as pulp. Our pioneers keep striking Inwards and downwards,

Every layer they strip Seems camped on before. The bogholes might be Atlantic seepage. The wet centre is bottomless.

tom. said:

THE BELIEVER: Do you find that you’re able to like any of your books?
JOHN BANVILLE: No. I hate them all. With a deep, abiding hatred. And embarrassment. I have this fantasy that I’m walking past Brentano’s or wherever and I click my fingers and all my books on the shelves go blank. The covers are still there but all the pages are blank. And then I can start again and get it right. I hate them all. They’re all so far below what I had hoped they would be. And yet one goes on. Here I am starting a new book. This is the absolute best stage of it, because when you’re writing the opening pages of the book, anything is possible, you might actually get it right this time. In my heart, of course I know that I won’t. In a couple of years’ time when I finish the book, I’ll hate it just as much as the others. I won’t deny that every now and then I write a sentence and I can hear a chime, I can hear that ping that you get when you hit your fingernail on the side of a glass, and I think, “Yeah, that’s right.” Why would I sit here day after day doing this stuff? I certainly don’t get any money for it.

That's EXACTLY how I feel about my posts on Thumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back