Scotland vs. Ireland (1 Viewer)

don't encourage him for jaysus sake...it was a fortunate "accident".

We were discussing this last night and we think that Kevin was in the pilot episode of Faking it (filmed many years ago when the idea was first touted)...the show was dropped until recently, but Kevin (real name BBegley), who learned his trade a builder of crannog's, managed to somehow remain a footballer after completion of the pilot episode.

A blueprint for a crannog that Kevin (formerly known as Brian Begley) designed himself but never completed can be found here

http://indigo.ie/~bbegley/art/crannog.htm

i seen him score a header before. not that it means much...

i dunno, breen seemed to have a great game and harte was only skinned a few times - maybe kerr has the magic touch.
reid, o'shea, carr were awesome. and did you see paddy morrison's upper body armour? he's a handful - would be a good partner for robbie keane. stick duff on left wing, finnan at left back, cunningham in for breen - not a bad team?

Originally posted by conor
i seen him score a header before. not that it means much...

i dunno, breen seemed to have a great game and harte was only skinned a few times - maybe kerr has the magic touch.
reid, o'shea, carr were awesome. and did you see paddy morrison's upper body armour? he's a handful - would be a good partner for robbie keane. stick duff on left wing, finnan at left back, cunningham in for breen - not a bad team?
Dunno about Harte though, once yer man (can't remember his name) started to run at him he wasnae looking so comfortable. Wasn't to bad though I suppose. Dunno if I'd describe Reid as "awsome" neither, but he was decent. I'd agree that it has to be Duff on the left (playing him up front is nothing short of ludicrous), and then it's a question of whether it's Morrison or Doherty to partner Keane...I'd lean towards the former, not sure about his general play, but his finishing is decent...defo Finnan at left back...you wouldn't know, yer man Dunne might be okay if he keeps his act together...

doherty (dock-herr-ty)
kinsella (kin-sella)
kiely (keely)

i hate sky common-taters

reid was good, as was harte, but morrison and o'shea were supoib.

scotland were shite though.
did i hear niall quinn calling kilbane 'ireland's david beckham'?
the lumbering mess...

Originally posted by lorcanzo
did i hear niall quinn calling kilbane 'ireland's david beckham'?
the lumbering mess...
No, it was Reid he was on about (for the free-kick). Still complete and absolute Quinny arse-lickin' shite par excellance, though.

I Think I must have been watching a different game .
Reid apart from the cross for the goal looked out of place . He didnt seem to keep up with the pace of the game . I think he is a good player but was very average against a very poor Scottish team .
Kevin Kilbane I thought looked very mature last night . He very rarely gave the ball away and covered up for Ian Harte all night . He may not light up the game but he is incredibly honest . I used to consider him very much a headless player but he is starting to mature .
Ian Harte was poor apart from some of his deliveries .
Stephen Carr was good and will get better . I cant think of a better right back in the game who can attack and defend as well as him .
Morrisson was dangerous all night .
Doherty was slow but solid . I think he would make a good partner for O'Shea at the back . When he playes upfront he reminds me too much of Tony Cascarino .
A good performance all round against a very poor scottish side .

In fairness, that's a load of bollix (macho stylings on the football board).

Reid is a super player who will develop into an integral part of the team. He's probably Millwall's best player and I can see a number of Premiership clubs vying for his signature over the summer.

I agree with you to a point about Doherty. However, he's better suited upfront. A partner for John O'Shea is going to fester, but if, and it's a big if, Richard Dunne gets his act together than I can see him being ideal alongside Waterford's finest. Dunne has shown a great deal of natural ability (his performances against the Dutch were great) and just needs to work on fitness.

Kilbane won't mature to another level. He's a decent enough, workman-like player who will run all day. His underlying skill isn't great. Duff should be playing on the left wing, and Kilbane is a suitable player to have in the background. He had a good game last night, but he was playing against a surprisingly weak team.

Finnan and Carr could work well as full-backs, but neither has played extensively at left-full. Irwin didn't shift to left back for Ireland until after some time playing that position for United.

I thought Reid had a poor game last night...he didn't have much involvement outside of the free kick...he looked a bit tired.

I'd like to see Kerr start with this line-up...

Given

Carr____Dunne____O'Shea____Finnan

MacAteer____Healy____Holland____Duff

Morrison____Keane

If MacAteer was fit, of course.

I never said Reid wasnt a bad player but I cannot agree that he was good last night . He gave the ball away more than any other player last night . I think he needs a couple more games to get up to speed . I dont think Colin Healy is the answer either . I think Lee Carsley deserves a place somewhere in midfield . He is having a superb season with Everton who are fifth in the premiership at the moment . He would deserve his place (on current form that is ) ahead of any of the midfield players that were on show last night . Players who are playing well for there clubs should be picked ahead of players who you would think deserve there place just because of good games he may have played in the world cup or games in the run up to the world cup .

My Irish line up on current form would be

Given

Carr Cunningham O'Shea Finnan

Carsley Holland Kinsella

Keane Duff

Doherty

Quite an attacking side I think . There is enough talent there to submit different variations . Eg . Duff to play on the left . Keane to play on the right . As a team you could vary your formations during matches . You could play 3 up front . Play a passing game and vary it with a more direct route through Doherty . There is a solid midfield . Good to get in the box through Holland but also good cover through Carsley and Holland . You could also play Morrisson instead of Doherty if you wanted to inject some pace up front but eliminate your direct options .

carlsey ?

Mcateer ?

c'mon lads...seriously, are you'se taking the piss.

Steven Reid played a good game... he was involved in both goals and worked hard throughout the game. 4 goals in 11 starts for milwall is not a bad record.
I could never see carlsey, mcateer or kennedy challenging the keeper the way reid did for clintons goal.

finnan at left back might be a goog idea, better than harte anyway, but i think Kerr will stick with harte. He has great man management skills and may play an integral part in sorting out harte's confidence, and possibly his career.

Doherty played a good game, lots of strength and some nice ball control which suprised me, but i think clinton should get the nod ahead of doherty. I like molateens idea of 3 up front or in attack, but would not be confident that it would work. It would ne interesting to see that system in a friendly though.

what about andy o'brien...is he good enough to get a look in ahead of cunny kenningham or gary breen ?

i remember a couple of times maybe even in the world cup were kilbane was put to left back, and he was, dare i say it-excellent.
maybe thats his true position only for sunderland tho cuz on the irish team theres no way he's gettin picked over finnan
my line up:

Given
carr Cunningham(c) O'Shea Finnan

Reid Healy Holland Duff

Morrison Keane

I thought Reid was impressive.
He saved us a couple of times when the defence was looking creaky.
Not sure about the ways of Kinsella, but who could replace him?
McPhail is falling off the pace. Who else is there?

One thing I thought was positive, at least early on, was how fluid we were up front...I mean, Holland, Reid, even Kilbane were showing up all over the place...made a change from the usual "feed-left/right-back-let-them-knock-it-up-the-line-try-to-cross" dross we'd been seeing a lot of lately.

I was sittin there in me gaff, with Network 2 on the new Telly, really lookin forward to the match. Then I fuckin remembered after 40 mins that fuckin SKY sports bought our God given right to watch our National team. Which SUPER CUNTS let this happen? :mad:

I consequently ended up playing Fifa 99 on the Playstation, I was Ireland and I beat Scotland 8-0! The lads played well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back