Science/Fantasy fiction bukes (1 Viewer)

is urth in between the new and the long sun? i was looking at the long sun today and wondering if i should read it. i might give wolfe a break for a while as i have a load of other books to be reading

is urth in between the new and the long sun? i was looking at the long sun today and wondering if i should read it. i might give wolfe a break for a while as i have a load of other books to be reading

Yes, I think so. It takes up where he throws the manuscript off into space.

Haven't read the Long Sun yet.

which stories are in that one?

There's the title story, Random Quest, one about an Oirish movie starlet and a few others. Forgettable stuff. They all revolve around external unforseen consequences of lab experiments and/or time travel, with the exception of the slightly surreal (I don't mean that in a complimentary way) Oirish one. In some ways it's a bit like Stanislaw Lem, but not as well written or intellectual. I do like a lot of John Wyndam's output though.

What did you think of The Stars My Destination?

The Stars My Destination is a fuckin great read. It's not some sort of perfect read or anything, but it's really enjoyable, has an amazing main character, and is based around an amusing idea.

The Stars My Destination is a fuckin great read. It's not some sort of perfect read or anything, but it's really enjoyable, has an amazing main character, and is based around an amusing idea.

Yeah, I thought it was a really good book, very ambitious in some ways. Very intelligent storyline and ideas behind the pulpy style.

Hmmm... wonder what this sounds like:

UW OWL - New Birth Of Old Death

UW OWL

New Birth Of Old Death

Phaserprone Cassette, 2007

1. Corpse Candles
2. Ultan’s Maze Speaks
3. Drugs
4. At Dawn
5. Admidst A Fuligin Cloak
6. Folded Eyes

In theory this is the first instalment of a four-part series of recordings based on Gene Wolfe’s “Book of the New Sun” series. Ultra dark & haunted basement sound poems. Really love this one…be ready to get spooked. As with all the Phaserprone stuff, packaging is top notch!
from http://rootstrata.com/rootblog/?p=1835

George R. R. Martin is going to be in Easons on Thursday.
They've started filming the series already, Sean Bean is Ned Stark and the fat one out of The Full Monty is King Robert.

The new Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson book is out now, and Robin Hobbs has a new series out too. Cant be worst then the Soldier Son trilogy, got half way through the second one and had to give up, one of the worst piles of crap I've ever read, pity as the Assassins trilogy is fantastic.

George R. R. Martin is going to be in Easons on Thursday

Anyone read his vampire novel, Fevre Dream? I thought it was the bees knees when I read it way back when ...

Similarly, is Harlan Ellison still alive?

I might go down and ask him if he's seen my evil dwarf anywhere

martin21109.jpg

What are the chances of security being ok with me bringing a bastard sword to be signed?
My brother wants it done.

I'll call it John, it'll be wrapped in a towel or something so maybe they wont notice.

Did anyone ever read those two Greg Bear books, The Forge of God and Anvil of Stars? One's the sequel to the other but I forget which way round. I read them years ago and remember thinking they were great, really interesting ideas and pretty good writing. But I can't remember now if I'm just romanticising or not.

I just read Eon by Greg Bear, really enjoyed it, though be warned it does roam off into some moderately heavy physics speak every so often. Apparently the sequel Eternity is even better, so I'll be buying that today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back