Science/Fantasy fiction bukes (2 Viewers)

I've just started Shadow Gate by Kate Elliott, second book in the crossroads series, first one was good so I'm hoping this one will be too, some great main characters including a grumpy, whoring, borderline alcoholic crime fighter that flies around on a giant eagle.
Elliott also wrote the crown of stars series.

kenosha kid, fairies... really?:rolleyes:

You dare to question giant eagles??? they were good enough for Tolkien.
No I haven't read the book, sounds like that one where the kids see fairies at the end of their garden!zed

bOlox! it's about giant robot fairies in a post apocalytpic wasteland who crush human beings to death with their huge metal feet. there's a tender love story in there somewhere too

Is there a girl in it that questions her sexuality as she's in love with the big fairy robot, but discovers that there was a boy inside controlling it all along?

I read the first 6 books (out of 10) of the Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny there a while ago. The first five are very good. Rest is a waste of time, IMHOooooo. There's like, dimension hopping, people who live indefinitely or until they're killed in an unpleasant fashion, um, cities under the sea, a form of teleportation, playing cards that are like mobile phones/teleportation devices, some odd/exotic beings.. that sort of thing. The style is light and book one is laugh out loud funny.

Read the Lyonesse* Trilogy** there recently enough also. Great stuff. Witches, evil kings, torture, romance, magicians (with powers of teleportation, other fast travel, free food), fairies, tragedy, compelling characters, plausible scenarios, a few small to medium scale fights, lots of references to Celtic, Norse and other mythology, etc, etc. Some of Vance's prose is very evocative and one can see his love of the outdoors and the sea in these three books.

* Lyonesse

** Trilogy

I've been trying to find a book I read a while ago but cant remember what it's called.
I think the main characters were;
a male slave who's ancestors had been slaves for so long that it had become ingrained in them.
young extremely gifted female mathematician, i think she might have been autistic.
and a sailor with a wife and kids just after receiving a promotion.
Does anyone know it? I cant remember anyones name so google hasn't been much help.

I've been trying to find a book I read a while ago but cant remember what it's called.
I think the main characters were;
a male slave who's ancestors had been slaves for so long that it had become ingrained in them.
young extremely gifted female mathematician, i think she might have been autistic.
and a sailor with a wife and kids just after receiving a promotion.
Does anyone know it? I cant remember anyones name so google hasn't been much help.

I've had a think and it's not ringing any bells. It sounds a little like The Fall Of The Towers by Samuel R. Delaney. If this is the case, I'd advise to stay clear. Waste of time of a book. Good luck with it though.

Anyone try Dhalgren by the same author? Weird read. Gets quite samey after the first 100 pages or so. Strange style of writing. Kinda stream of consiousness.

Nova is good. The Stars In My Pocket Like Grains Of Sand not great, but interesting. Babel 17 - meeeh.

Just starting Ian Irvine's Faith of the fallen, every time I think its finished, there's another book.
The first few were excellent (view from the mirror quartet) but they've gone steady crappier with each one.
Only two more after this (I hope) :)

finished Pavane by Keith Roberts last night. excellent so it is. its only barely sci-fi or fantasy or something but its in that sf masters series. its about an alternative britain where the roman catholic church dominates. the end is a bit gammy, mind.

the vignette style chapters were deadly.

you mean you liked (spoilers coming...)
that the prickishness of the church was all down to them trying to save the world from a nuclear holocaust?

the vignette style chapters were deadly.

you mean you liked (spoilers coming...)
that the prickishness of the church was all down to them trying to save the world from a nuclear holocaust?

yeah. been a while since i read it mind. just looked on wikipedia and it was all originally printed as separate short stories...the final chapter seems to have been written as an after thought...

Just starting Ringworld - really good so far, I'll hold judgement til the end. It's a classic though so I'm expecting good things! Gonna get an Erickson book after this, and it better good what with all you fanboys bleating on about him, though I think Feist is rubbish and David Gemmell books kinda feel to me like if you've read one you've read them all, but I loved Legend.

Read Brazyl by Ian McDonald too - it was great, lots of interconnecting plots well woven together, big ideas and edgy writing.

Almost finished Greg Keyes The BlackGod (sequel to Waterborn), they've been good so far, there's a few characters that should have been fleashed out but that's the only real criticism.
It's set in a world full of Gods, from Gods that rule giant forests to Gods in a stones, the river God is trying to devour all of them though.
His newer work is even better, and with this as his photo, how could anyone resist them?
greg_keyes.jpg

I'm going to have to grow some facial hair to write my sci-fi/fantasy buke. And get a stronger man type name.

Stephen Donaldson

j7201k79.jpg

Raymond Feist

RaymondFeist1R.jpg

Tad Williams

e003-07.jpg

George RR Martin

05conq005.JPG

Robert Jordan

robert-jordan.jpg

Dan Simmons

simmons.jpg

Isaac Asimov

IsaacAsimov.jpg

Frank Herbert

frankherbert.jpg

Harry Harrison

hharrison.JPG

Philip K dick

philipdick.jpg

Larry Niven

larry_niven_sm.jpg

Actually, this is getting a bit disturbing.

Is it just the same bloke writing all these bukes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back