Saturday Night on Thumped (1 Viewer)

It'll be on thumped when its happening.Sure this is the only place I tell anyone about anything.

I've spent the past 5mins wondering if it's cruel to wake the sprog up to watch a film with me.
It is :(

I was watching the Kerry V Cork match. Great game, but a really disappointing last 15 mins for Kerry.
I was looking forward to a Kerry win.

Apart from that I was reading books all day. :eek:
Along with a load of other climbing books i'm reading this one at the moment:

touchingthevoid.jpg

It's amazing. I'm not quite sure why I haven't read it yet because i've been meanting to for years and even went to see him give (a really great) talk. He's a complete legend and was really nice in person. I guess the reason it took me so long to pick the book up is because I already knew the story, but this book is excellent, inspiring and completly insane.

Anyway the jist of the story is:

Joe, originally from Sheffield (although born in Kuala Lumpur where his father was stationed with the British Army), and his climbing partner, Simon Yates, were undertaking the first ascent of the West Face of a peak in the Peruvian Andes, Siula Grande. On the ridge down, they encountered difficult terrain, Joe fell and broke his leg, the calf bone splitting his knee.
Simon Yates took it upon himself to lower Joe down the vast majority of the mountain. However, despite Simon's single-handed rescue attempt, a turn of events left Joe hanging over a steep overhanging ice face in the middle of a building blizzard. Yates was trying to support him from a desperate bucket belay hollowed from the snow, uncertain what exactly had happened. After hanging on for over an hour, Yates reached a point where he had to make a choice: Be pulled from the mountain into the abyss and certain death, or cut the rope. Yates cut the rope holding his partner and Joe fell into a gaping crevasse below, landing unexpectedly on a snow bridge. After cutting the rope Simon proceeded down the mountain, passing the crevasse and assessing that Joe must have died from the fall.
Despite his significant injuries, Joe lowered himself further into the crevasse and managed to find a way out. Suffering from hypothermia and dehydration, he then still faced the enormous task of crossing a glacier unroped, and with a broken leg. He crawled down the glacier and the moraines over a period of 3 1/2 days, all the way back to base camp, finding Simon and their traveling friend Richard Hawking literally hours before they were due to leave base camp.
siula-grande-joe-simpson.jpg

sula-744279.jpg

YESSSSSSS!

Fuck it. I'm getting a serious hanking for climbing now.
Must get back into building my confidence for rock climbing and go out on a trip some day...

im lying in bed with my friend passed out beside me waiting for her to go get a dvd. alas i think shes more likely to either puke or sleep, and im so cramped i can't actually move my arms. ive taken at least five minutes to type this coherently. oh saturday at the mild hour of half eleven, i do love you so.

I've just spend the last 3 hours talking to the guy that I've been out with a couple of times, and I have to say that it is feeling pretty good right now. Ahhhhh, boys are weird, but some of them are great!

Also watched "Freedom Writers". It was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back