SARS in Ireland (1 Viewer)

kewl

nonny-no is olde-english type music, the kind of stuff you do morris dancing to, like Steeleye Span or what's his name who had the album I want to see the bright lights tonight

meself and rumpus wrote a nonny-no song yesterday when we were getting a bit delerious with boredom in the afternoon

yea, we did goode

I can imagine you and Rumpus nonny nonning away, you plucking away at your Banjo, Rumpus swing his hankys over his head.

I could join in with the Mandolin and we could be a band of wandering minsterals, playing in taverns and romancing saucy wenches and wearing tights.

The Mandloin sort of makes everything come out a bit, eh, odd. It either all sounds very folky or very Gerorge Fromby... also my big mong fingers don't work past the 7th fret or so. Its still pretty deadly though.

God, when you mention Steeleye Span....

...I have this boxset thing (which I swear to you I didn't buy, I really don't know where it came from - shut up!) called The Story of Folk into Rock. 3 CDs there are and a great little booklet explaining it all. Some of it is tripe (fairport convention - not my thing), some is good (the original anji) and some is just plain funny. You can have it if you want Snakybus! We'll call it a gift yar?....

What I did discover is a remarkable similarity between a fairport convention song and a Nick Drake song. Needless to say, the Nick Drake one came first. On probing a little further, I saw that both shared the same producer, Joe Boyd. When I say similar, I mean alsmost identical melodies. Hmm now. Hmm now indeed. It's not as wholesome as it would appear.

But anyways, on the cardboard box thing isa drawing of these minstral types frolicking across a hill. That's what reminded me of it.

Em. That is all. For now.

Roxy

hey roxy harte, I'll steal Wil's joke and say nonny-no-thanks to that

here's our song (got a bit out of hand at the end). See if you can guess which parts are mine and which parts Rumpus's:

We see him out on the ditches at dusk,
ah-dancing ah-nonny no,
That's rascally shnake with a heart black as pitch,
leaves jizz were the wild nettle grows

when lo! who knocks? a dark-lit stranger
rides into the cloisters
"I seek a bed, landlord", he says,
"Some guinness and some oysters"

With a nonny-no and a nonny-noo
And a nacki-nacki-nee
"I rode yer ma and she has got
a big mad hairy gee"

Up yaw! yonder hills, they are sing the songs,
A hobbledy hug-nanny noy,
Of mighty dick triple's three raggedy shlongs
Hup nonny nipple noo noy

whence comes the horse with fetlocks fine
and friar clarence from the vestibule
what nonny nerr nerr nerr nerr nerr
he tickles the horse's testicules

Heeyyyyup! naggle neek bubble cloo
Clum slick nonny ning nutty noy
Nee nee nee noo naggle, a raggle tat daggle
And spread it on bread for his supper!

it's really painful trying to laugh when you're somewhere you can't laugh. I must look like I've swallowed a bee or something.

When we get into he new studios Mike, yiz have to come back and perform it. Shake the northside to its rotten core.

Roxy

Originally posted by fleo
They probably would have less a chance of surviving it though with their little lungs.

:p
Oh, that's so cute...they have little lungs...I forgot about that... :)
I love little kids, they have little lungs!

Did anyone see that thing on TV BBC NI about that little boy who needed a kidney? It was so cute I was gonna let him have one of mine. Then I got scared.

!baggyyyy

Originally posted by Juno
Well I hear you're Settler's Mary Poppins

Here Mary Poppins is waaaaaaaaaay more attractive than snakybus. Also hat joke made me laugh out loud

I don't remeber signing any release form for that snakey!

Roxy - I'd take that steeleye box set any day - It'll bring me back to me silly hippy days when I thought there was no other instrument but the accoustic guitar.

ps
Nick Drake was actually good mates with fairport c. and they played together a lot...then he got good went his own way.

My god some of that folksy stuff is worse than a joke.

I believe Steeleye Span have a song called 'mr brown fox'

hee hee

Rumpus you scoundrel I was going to lay claim to the box set.

I got big into the pyscadelic end of british folk over Christmas, all about Pentangle and Bert Jansch and anything on Transatlantic. Generally the music is tops, but some of it gets very silly.

Donovan is an underrated genius too

yep

have 'Colours' somewhere about me house - a really good Donovan collection...

still'n'all:

'this is the fairy story of a tangerine puppet'

eek

saw him once in Town, I 'Ivy Rooms' was the venue (I think).

He had that blue guitar with the moon-shaped soundhole.
....Ah, bless'im

quiet you, I've seen your creedence CDs banjo boy...

I was very wary of Donovan, and lot of his acoustic stuff is a bit flaky, but he does a nice line in quite jazzy meldies and sweeping string sections.

I went nuts for Bert Jansch though, I got th emost amazing tranatlanctic 12" second hand a while ago, which I'll tape for you Rumpus (not for you Snaky! :p ) its got a green and purple trippy screen printed cover which makes you feel stoned looking at it.... deadly.

My fave craxy Donovan lyrics...

FAT ANGEL

He will bring happiness in a pipe,
He'll ride away on his silver bike
And apart from that he'll be so kind
In consenting to blow your mind.
Fly Translove Airways, get you there on time.
Fly Translove Airways, get you there on time.

Originally posted by rumpus
ask me gicker, Dylan never soared near the artistic heights of 'jenifer juniper'

and, ahem, two words:

mellow yellow

case closed

here Rumpus you should come round me place some night and we can have a Donovan appreciation night

you bring that big old hookah pipe of yours and I'l bring the mood stones and kaftans

:)

spike was the man all right but for real nonsensical shit read Edward Lear, a Victorian poet who wrote poems like The Jumblies and Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo

he was completely nuts

he also wrote the Owl and the Pussycat

but one book he wrote capped it all - "The Book of Nonsense"

it's a glorious mess of gobbledegook

stoner hippies like Pantone should read it for some extreme deadly buzzage

ps: I'm so there Pantone, with bells on. guh (did you notice I'm being sarcastic?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back