Sargent on Shannon, Rossport, Oil & Fianna Fail (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter W.
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 2
the audio quality is not very good, which makes it harder to keep an ear on if you stick it on in the background.

Dictaphones aren't known for their high audio quality.

More summary:

plants have rights too

we need to move away from oil before it runs out, ala Sweden who are gonna stop using oil by 2020

more local produce, "lower carbon footprint so to speak"

sargent's the lad who went on record to say he would not lead his party into government with fianna fail right before he led his party into government with fianna fail, yeah?

just checking.

Question why the shell to sea has disappeared from his website:

He's now in government so must stick with due process and can't be seen to be influencing the planning application. But his views haven't changed.

Btw I'm paraphrasing all over the place.

i'm just trying to start a tangent whilst showing you can't trust anyone about anything

I thought was a given with politicians. Worst of all I can't remember how the carbon footprint on local produce can be greater. Think it's something to do with green houses? Do tell.

biggest environmental impact of food is usually from processing not food-miles.

Really? But presumably less food miles is still better than more food miles, so in the absence of info about processing it's still better to buy local, right?

Really? But presumably less food miles is still better than more food miles, so in the absence of info about processing it's still better to buy local, right?

Or non processed locally grown food ideally. In that interview Sargent was talking about farmers markets, which would have have a lot of unprocessed food I'd imagine.

the issue is actually fairly complicated. It isn't an either/or.

The classic examples that come up are things like a tomato grown in a heated greenhouse in the UK has required more energy to produce that a tomato grown in spain and delivered by boat.

all these issue are open to debate and the issue really come down to what and how we consume food.

as I said some of the research done here in Cardiff has suggested that for some foods "food miles" only account for 2% of the environmental impact (when you look at production, processsing, cold storage and waste etc)

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,2094795,00.html

i'd say go with whatever you feel is best and don't listen to me,

Or non processed locally grown food ideally. In that interview Sargent was talking about farmers markets, which would have have a lot of unprocessed food I'd imagine.

true. and people who shop in farmers markets often consume particular types of food and lead particular lifestyles.

but are farmers markets equitable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back