Sampler (1 Viewer)

Pantone247 said:
they easy to come by?

I'd be into mucking around with a sampler, but wonder would I actually get much actual use out of it...

not sure, i saw one rotting on top of a friends wardrobe and paid €50... i felt slightly foolish for paying that much but fuck it... gotten way more than €50 worth of joy from it.

btw, the sampling is pretty limited on it, 1.5 secods or something and you can do fuck all with it then...

Miss Piggy said:
not sure, i saw one rotting on top of a friends wardrobe and paid €50... i felt slightly foolish for paying that much but fuck it... gotten way more than €50 worth of joy from it.

btw, the sampling is pretty limited on it, 1.5 secods or something and you can do fuck all with it then...
cheers for the reply.is that 1.5 sec per sample or all together?

good question. you thinking of transcending the old pc? although your best/cheapest options are probably already available to you... dunno. also are you talking about some kind of rack-mounted shit that you can plug a midi keyboard OR some kind of all-in-one option? you might be able to pick up an old akai s series sampler for cheap off your good friend ebay. :)

how cheap exactly?

plug said:
good question. you thinking of transcending the old pc? also are you talking about some kind of rack-mounted shit that you can plug a midi keyboard OR some kind of all-in-one option? you might be able to pick up an old akai s series sampler for cheap off your good friend ebay. :)

how cheap exactly?

pref not a rack job.100 euros max.
not gonna be leavin the pc behind but want something else too....
what i have in mind is something with some buttons on it that when i press them it plays whatever sample it saved on it over and over. maybe pitch control too.was lookin on ebay and boss have a nice little thing, a Dr sample SP202, saw a zoom one too called a sampletrak (but dont like zoom stuff too much). dunno really, just want a new toy

hanley said:
pref not a rack job.100 euros max.
not gonna be leavin the pc behind but want something else too....
what i have in mind is something with some buttons on it that when i press them it plays whatever sample it saved on it over and over. maybe pitch control too.was lookin on ebay and boss have a nice little thing, a Dr sample SP202, saw a zoom one too called a sampletrak (but dont like zoom stuff too much). dunno really, just want a new toy

the sk1 can have only 1 sample, a total of 1.5 secs or however long it is. it plays normally if you press the "a" key, if you go lower or higher this one sample is pitched to whatever note youre playing so if its the lowest note on the keyboard it might be stretched out to 2 or 3 seconds and it can only play 4 notes simultaneously. its lofi but wondrous! (probably not what your after here though...)

Miss Piggy said:
the sk1 can have only 1 sample, a total of 1.5 secs or however long it is. it plays normally if you press the "a" key, if you go lower or higher this one sample is pitched to whatever note youre playing so if its the lowest note on the keyboard it might be stretched out to 2 or 3 seconds and it can only play 4 notes simultaneously. its lofi but wondrous! (probably not what your after here though...)
ya, im kinda goin for havin a few different samples and being able to alternate between them and play them together.the sk1 looks like a lovely keyboard though:)

that sp looks like a sweet solution. seems like it might be good for on the fly shit. buy it (so i can play with it...)

oddly enough i was thinking about buying some kind of funky delay or sample/loop box last night for the synth etc. weird...

plug said:
that sp looks like a sweet solution. seems like it might be good for on the fly shit. buy it (so i can play with it...)

oddly enough i was thinking about buying some kind of funky delay or sample/loop box last night for the synth etc. weird...

was a RC20 in buy and sell durin the week.190 though.delaytastc

so ya reacon the sp202 oveer that zoom majig??

Miss Piggy said:

"you can sample about 2-3 seconds at a horrible mono quality."

my friend has 2 - one was 3 yoyo in a charidee shop in galway:)
lovely stuff if you choose vibrato and the preset flute setting too!!

If anyone's interested, I have a vintage Akai S900 rack-mounted sampler for sale. I bought it for about €250 three or four years ago but I haven't got space for it any more, even though I'd like to be able to hang on to it. I'd be prepared to sell it for as little as €150.

The highest bit resolution is 12 and total sampling length is 11.75 seconds at the highest sampling rate, which is 40KHz (- obviously you get much more time at lower sampling rates). It's technologically primitive compared to modern devices but if you want to learn about sampling and MIDI, it's a really good place to start.

It also has some nice features that modern samplers don't necessarily have e.g. 8 physical outputs. That means you can route each output through its own individual desk channel - a good way to learn about mixing techniques such as EQ-ing. Also, there are people who still use the S900/950 for its "vintage" 12 bit sound.

Here's some info on it:

http://www.synthmuseum.com/akai/akas90001.html

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/akai_s900.cfm

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back