Sainkho Namtchylak - Performance from Tuva (1 Viewer)

Quintron

Website
www.theboomboomroom.tv
This is going to be good. Namtchylak has a phenomenal voice with an ability to produce as much as 4 harmonically related pitches simultaneously! Not something you hear everyday, so well worth a look.

Thursday 7th October:

The Boom Boom Room in association with Improvised Music Company presents:

"Sainkho Namtchylak"

(Overtone / Throat Singing - Electronic - Jazz) €12 8:30pm

Members:

Sainkho Namtchylak - Voice / Electronics

"The universality and humanity at the heart of her singing has a virtually elemental allure" - Jazz Review

Sainkho Namtchylak walks on the edges of life. It would be cliché to say she plays music on the border between East and West, past and present. But she is one of those artists that exist outside of categories. The same could be said of any woman who combines Tuvan throat singing, experimental jazz, classical, electronica, and Buddhism. Then again, she is the only woman on the planet that fits this description.

Already known as Tuva's most celebrated female vocalist, Sainkho takes her unique blend in a new direction. Transfixing audiences with her astounding seven octave range, Sainkho uses songs like "Tuva Blues," "Let the Sunshine," and "Lonely Soul" to explore lands that live beyond the confines of the East and the West.

Sainkho courses between polar extremes, reflecting love and hostility. With her finely crafted overtone singing, knowledge of Siberian folklore, shamanistic ritual, and history in Russian folklore ensembles and free-jazz acts, Sainkho juxtaposes traditional styles of her Tuvan ancestors with the Western avant-garde, sailing from harmonious serenity to hissing, trilling, and wailing.

Audiences are astounded by the diversity of sounds Sainkho can produce with her voice, from operatic tenor to birdlike squawks, from childlike pleas to soulful crooning; which at various moments elicit comparisons to Zap Mama, Patti Smith, Billie Holiday, and Nina Hagen.

More details on Sainkho Namtchylak available at www.sainkho.com
Details of all BBR gigs available on web at www.theboomboomroom.tv

The Boom Boom Room
Above Patrick Conways Pub,
70 Parnell St,
Dublin 1.

Quintron said:
This is going to be good. Namtchylak has a phenomenal voice with an ability to produce as much as 4 harmonically related pitches simultaneously! Not something you hear everyday, so well worth a look.

Thursday 7th October:

I can't wait for this. See you there.

J.

She's playing Sligo on Friday, Bangor on Saturday and Letterkenny on Sunday, if you can't make the Dublin one.

J.

Holy Shit, this is intreeeeging. 7 octaves? 4 notes simultaneously? Is she a robot?

Now I'm utterly confused- really wanna see the Jimmy Cake in the Spiegel tent, really wanna see this, but also my nice is sooo cute and I could just go hang out with her which would cost 0 punts and warm me cockles.

aoifed said:
Holy Shit, this is intreeeeging. 7 octaves? 4 notes simultaneously? Is she a robot?

Now I'm utterly confused- really wanna see the Jimmy Cake in the Spiegel tent, really wanna see this, but also my nice is sooo cute and I could just go hang out with her which would cost 0 punts and warm me cockles.

Is a bell necessary on a Thursday evening?

cyclotron said:
Any reports from this gig ?

I thought it was pretty good, with a couple of truly sublime moments. Some of the improvisations were bang on, some suffered a little alongside the laptop loops, i.e. difficult to discern what was voice and what was sample. The more traditional tunes were stunning. And she's cooler than your granny and mine combined...

J.

Thought it was excellent meself. Picked up both ablums on sale at the gig.

Two very different beasts.. The three CD set "AURA" (with Vladimir Tarasov, Peter Kowald and Vladimir Volkov) features solo material on CD 1 al la last night with duo and trio material on the other 2 CD's. Haven't had a chance to listen to all yet, but the Trio CD is crackin stuff.

The other CD "Who Stole the Sky?" is a more commercial affair with full band and mixes electronics and traditional singing. Bit of Bjork, bit of Enigma but ultimately unique.
Both recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back