Rory Gallagher (1 Viewer)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
I watched this "documentary" last night - really just footage from a '74 tour and then one gig in the Cork Opera House in around 1990. The contrast was mad - in '74 he was bursting with energy and ideas, as articulate a guitarist as ever I've seen. I've listened to him loads of times and it was still surprising. But in 1990 it was all stock licks and dullness, like he had stopped caring and bought into his own myth.

I havent seen this yet(i taped it) but I know the footage youre talking about.

Seeing as he's my favourite musician and then reason I play guitar I'm sort of baised but I do see your point. In 74 he was at the top of his game, a dynamo on stage etc truly world calss and his albums from this period are excecptional.

I did a Fás course with a guy who was a fan from back in the day. He pretty much said what you said. He recalled the Dublin gigs in the 70s that were absolutey wild and he didt rate the Opera house performance at all!

In the 90s , well he wasnt a well man for a start. He was suffering from depression and an addiction to prescription drugs. To be still playing was an achievement in itself.

That said I really like the Opera House gig. He comes across as an elder bluesman as oppposed to the rock guitar god of his youth. He talked about emulating Muddy Water who played well into his 70s and up to his death.

I saw his last big gig- the Temple Bar blues festival in 94(his final gig was in Coek RTC). He was full of life, had lost a bit of weight, looked great and played for hours on top form. It really looked like he'd regained the spark of the early days while still playing like a mature blues player.

It is still often said about thim that he was one of the most humble human beings you could have met, so I really don't think he ever bought into his own myth. I was at college with his cousin. She told him "there's a guy in my class who looks like you, dresses like you and sounds like you "

Rorys reply was " Well at least I still have one fan"

kirstie said:
you should see his grave - big mad gold leafed sun type affair.

rgallagher_grave.jpg

jesus this is getting morbid

johnnystress said:
rgallagher_grave.jpg

jesus this is getting morbid
that's my grand aunt's grave there behind rory's. weird.

didn't see the documentary but have seen the opera house gig and '74 tour footage before. '74 tour stuff is incredible.

haha, I've a couple of grand aunts buried behind him too, hence me knowing what the gravestone was like. Anytime I've been in that cemetery there's always people worshipping at the shrine o' rory too.

ddmurph said:
that's my grand aunt's grave there behind rory's. weird.

didn't see the documentary but have seen the opera house gig and '74 tour footage before. '74 tour stuff is incredible.

RORY GALLAGHER

‘CHECK SHIRT WIZARD – LIVE IN ‘77’

Available on 2CD / 3LP / Digital HD / Digital Standard

Following on from the highly successful ‘BLUES’ album, Chess/UMC are proud to be releasing ‘Check Shirt Wizard- Live In ‘77’.

This 20-song, previously unreleased, set is culled from four shows (London, Brighton, Sheffield and Newcastle) during an early 1977 tour across the UK in support of Rory’s then latest album 'Calling Card'. Featuring fantastic live versions of tracks from that album as well as songs from the 1975 'Against The Grain' album and other live favourites.

This new album has been mixed from the original multi track tapes from the Rory archive, which were recorded by the Rolling Stones and Jethro Tull’s mobile studios and mastered at Abbey Road.

Rory Gallagher's most popular albums have always been his live ones, such as ‘Live! In Europe’, ‘Irish Tour '74’ and Stage Struck. He was an artist that came alive when onstage and this album covers a previously undocumented live period. “The whole concert was taped on the Jethro Tull Maison Rouge mobile by the way, and from where I was standing that concert on record would surpass the classic “Live in Europe” album. And that’s saying a lot.” Brian Harrigan Melody Maker – 1977, Hammersmith Odeon, London.

The cover painting is by a young Irish graffiti artist Vincent Zara who has stencilled Rory’s image across his home country.

If ever there was a “musician’s musician” then that accolade surely belongs to Rory Gallagher. Renowned for his blistering live performances and highly respected for his dedication to his craft, he died in 1995, aged just 47, yet his reputation has continued to flourish in the years since. Indeed, some of rock’s most seminal figures, from Jimi Hendrix to Eric Clapton, Queen’s Brian May to The Smiths’ Johnny Marr, have cited him as an influence. Rory remains a touchstone for all would-be guitar heroes in the 21st Century.

2CD / Digital

1. Do You Read Me (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

2. Moonchild (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

3. Bought And Sold (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

4. Calling Card (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

5. Secret Agent (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

6. Tattoo'd Lady (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

7. A Million Miles Away (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

8. I Take What I Want (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

9. Walk On Hot Coals (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

10. Out On The Western Plain (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

11. Barley & Grape Rag (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

12. Pistol Slapper Blues (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

13. Too Much Alcohol (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

14. Going To My Hometown (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

15. Edged In Blue (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)

16. Jack-Knife Beat (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

17. Souped-Up Ford (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

18. Bullfrog Blues (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

19. Used To Be (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)

20. Country Mile (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)

3LP / 3LP Colour

SIDE A

1. Do You Read Me (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

2. Moonchild (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

3. Bought And Sold (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

SIDE B

4. Calling Card (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

5. Secret Agent (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

6. Tattoo’d Lady (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

SIDE C

7. A Million Miles Away (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

8. I Take What I Want (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

9. Walk On Hot Coals (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

SIDE D

10. Out On The Western Plain (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

11. Barley & Grape Rag (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

12. Pistol Slapper Blues (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

13. Too Much Alcohol (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

14. Going To My Hometown (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

SIDE E

15. Edged In Blue (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)

16. Jack-Knife Beat (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

17. Souped-Up Ford (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

SIDE F

18. Bullfrog Blues (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

19. Used To Be (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)

20. Country Mile (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)

really? i just got a PR email about it this evening. Someone's not earning their keep...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back