rock you mother (1 Viewer)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
curious question for kids in bands

I was reading the Matador Moms thing there, where mothers of Matador artist were interviewed, its pretty funny.

Anyway got me thinking does anyones parents come to their gigs and stuff, or listen to your records?

not just the say they did and smile sweetly, but really you know they didn't.

anybody?

my parents used to, then they came to the dead languages launch were paul o reilly had his mad noise fest experiment...they never came to a gig again.

Thank you paul! I No longer have to hear my dad's voice go 'yeeeeah!'

yeah.. my parents never heard anything by us or heard us live, i know all the other parents in the band did, but my parents just thought it was weirdy loud stuff. but just recently my mam came in while i was listening over a slower song to rewrite the lyrics and she loved it. she was so proud, i was embarrassed. over christmas she showed everyone who called and visited that particular song.. i'm beginning to hate it now... ah well..

My parents wanted to come see us play but I told 'em to take a hike. It's like when I was 15 and caught my dad singing along to Belly (he was of course singing makey-uppy words)... Parents belong in their own world of crap music and they should stay put there.

My mam listened to our ep and said Is that YOU singing there? Cringe. There are rumours of them coming to the Sugar Club on Friday. *sigh*

my dad: beatles, planxty, dubliners, kinks, and oddly the cranberries, and whatever me mams havin'
my mam: classical, opera, and well, churchy type stuff.

my mam thinks i play drums with the band.. tee hee..

its funny, i'm not mad into any of my parents records... i prefer quite the opposite... i wonder is it a reactionary thing... a rebellious notion instilled in my subconciuos...

Ah, contrary yoot!

Even at my ripe old age (46) the sight of anyone's folks at gigs fills me with something close to dread. They don't even have to be particularly loud or visible or anything, it's just that whenever you look at them, they somehow can't help being... folksy.

Mind you, generational horn-locking: it's one of the motors of 'istory, init?

Originally posted by lorcanzo
yeah.. my parents never heard anything by us or heard us live, i know all the other parents in the band did, but my parents just thought it was weirdy loud stuff. but just recently my mam came in while i was listening over a slower song to rewrite the lyrics and she loved it. she was so proud, i was embarrassed. over christmas she showed everyone who called and visited that particular song.. i'm beginning to hate it now... ah well..

My parents re-organised their 25th so they could come to our gig in Limerick ( and my sister is in college down there ). Actually they've been coming to my gigs on and off ( more on than off ) since I was about 15. Pah.
Also, they have Deep Purple's Machine Head on vinyl. .|..|

to answer my own question

my folks have come to generally the first jig I play with any groups and leave it at that. They say generic nice things like "that was very melodic" and odd things like "the singer didn't move around much did he, he could try get the crowd going more". But its nice they come along like.

I gave my Mother 4 rough mixes from the new Capratone album and after listening to them zero times she lent it to our elderly next door neighbour (at the time recovering from breast cancer) who liked it very very much and enthused greatly about it next time I saw her... bizzare.

Seems the Tone have been aiming at the wrong demographic all this time!

My mother, to date, has still not listened to the CD

Twice my parents turned up at gigs...
first time completly by suprise as they drove from cork to the cobblestone after work... i was well touched

then last friday in cork they showed up, and put up the band and were generally a lovvable pair to the whole omo possie...

talking of horn's locking with the generations, i don't think I would have the musical taste that I have now if it wasent from sitting in the back of my dads car as a wee boy...

and I may have mentioned this before, but my mum used to go out with rory galagher back when they were in their eaely teens

I think the only reason my Dad knows I'm still in a band is because my brother was going to see us the other week. Even bringing them the Irish Times review didn't help. Even the photo in the RTE Guide was like, "why are you in here?"

My dad did drive our gear to a gig my old band did in London once. Then slept in the van while we played. Horse to water etc.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back