7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
I presume I have (had, it was stolen) the cheap one.
It's great.
Is the more expensive one bigger or something?

Bingo

Pricey one - Product Dimensions: 9.7 x 8.7 x 0.8 inches, Shipping weight 2.4 pounds -

'Cheap' one - Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 7.4 x 0.8 inches, Shipping weight 1.7 pounds

$528 is a lot to pay for 1.56 sq. inches, .7 pounds

I now have a conundrum on my hands.

I have that book. Its more than 10 years old now, but I'd say I would paid something nearer to the 22 dollar end of the price range. My one is the 9.7 x 8.7 size one though, 1995 Scalo Third ed.

It's good.

The prices of photo books can be a bit nuts sometimes. They go out of print really quickly and then the price rockets up. The Americans was out of print for a long time and it could be that the expensive one you are looking at is an earlier edition.

Some people buy them as investments apparently .... make money out of selling them on when the price is right.

Oh, and there are often special collectors editions of things too that are priced much higher from the start ...

there are books as books and books as 'art objects' -- collectors and the like go for the first-edition super-fancy versions for loadsa money. if you just want a nice copy of the americans, go for the slightly-more-expensive-than-22-quid version

I'll give you thirty quid for it.

normally I've just been giving away all my stuff, because its too hard for me to move it around / store since I've been living all over the place for so long. Its harder to me to move stuff than just give it and buy it again if I need it.

But now I have a kid, and I want them to have access to books in the same way as I did. I read a lot and listened to my old mans books and records when I was very young. Since I'd given most of my music and books away over the last while, I have nothing for the little lad to do when he's a bit bigger.

So basically I'm holding onto the stuff he could conceivably be interested in that I have from now on.
Its not in perfect condition anyway, I've been schlepping it about for 15 years, there are some dings on the cover and so on. You couldn't gift it.

Buy neither until you can have a look at information regarding the edition where, how and when it was printed what inks and paper where involved etc. I mean if you are going to spend $500 on a book (and at the end of the day it is a book) you'll want to know that it is of an extremely high quality and that it will stand the test of time. I would imagine the $22 one is pretty shit and will be in bits in a decades time.

I can tell you that Scala Third Ed is pretty bullet proof.
Mine is not immaculate, but its in good condition, and I'd say I;ve moved more than 10 times in the last 15 years, two of those moves over the Atlantic.

The the paper and printing, is good, as good as the best books I have, but I am not sure how good "really good" is defined. I mean, very few of my books cost > 100 quid.

think that's bad? i've been after this book for years. it was always hovering around teh 200 mark - now look how much it is.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0224050583/?tag=thumpedcom-20

nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

not that anyone cares, but since this pitiful post, I've since become the very very proud owner of Requiem after 7 No Tomorrow found it online for 50 bucks!!! He then very kindly passed that info on. If you saw this book you'd see 50 dollars is an absolute bargain. It's a massive hardcovered beauty of a book.
And it arrived in even better condition (ie, pretty much perfect) than the description. I went through it cover to cover last night. It's a really wonderful testament to the photographers who died in Indochina and I'm beyond delighted that after all these years I can finally call it mine :).|..|

not that anyone cares, but since this pitiful post, I've since become the very very proud owner of Requiem after @7 - No tomorrow found it online for 50 bucks!!! He then very kindly passed that info on. If you saw this book you'd see 50 dollars is an absolute bargain. It's a massive hardcovered beauty of a book.
And it arrived in even better condition (ie, pretty much perfect) than the description. I went through it cover to cover last night. It's a really wonderful testament to the photographers who died in Indochina and I'm beyond delighted that after all these years I can finally call it mine :).|..|

Hey, get a load of me when I was nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back