Rip It Up And Start Again (1 Viewer)

jammy dodge

Thought some of youse might like this one............

The Fall, Pulsallama, Cabaret Voltaire, Scritti Politti, The Slits, Robert Wyatt, The Raincoats, Associares, The Specials and more.........

Following on from Simon Reynolds’ critically acclaimed book on post-punk Rip It Up And Start Again comes the CD of the same name, compiled by Simon himself and released on May 26th on V2 Records.
Punk's raw power rejuvenated rock, but by the summer of 1977 the movement had become a parody of itself. Rip It Up and Start Again, the book and the CD, is a celebration of what happened next: post-punk bands like The Slits, Devo, Scritti Politti, Cabaret Voltaire, The Raincoats, and The Human League, who dedicated themselves to fulfilling punk’s unfinished musical revolution. The post-punk groups were fervent modernists. Experimenting with electronics and machine rhythm or adapting ideas from dub reggae and disco, they were totally confident they could invent a whole new future for music. As a distinct epoch, 1978-84 rivals the Sixties for the sheer amount of fabulous music created, the spirit of adventure and possibility that infused it, and the way the sounds felt inextricably connected to the political and social turbulence of the day.
A veritable cornucopia of the great and the good from the late 70s/early 80s era, Rip It Up covers the postpunk spectrum from household names to esoteric cult artists.
Following the phenomenal success of its first edition, Rip It Up And Start Again – the book – has just been reprinted in a compact budget-price format, available from Faber & Faber. More information at http://www.simonreynolds.net/
Track Listing
1. Fiery Jack - The Fall
2. Praying Hands - Devo
3. Devil Lives In My Husbands Body - Pulsallama
4. Sluggin' Fer Jesus - Cabaret Voltaire
5. Sense Of Guilt - Josef K
6. PAs - Scritti Politti
7. Spend Spend Spend - Slits
8. Violence Grows - Fatal Microbes
9. Grass - Wyatt, Robert
10. Slowdive - Siouxsie & The Banshees
11. Only Loved At Night - Raincoats
12. Choci Loni - Young Marble Giants
13. Dancevision - Human League
14. Tight As A Drum - Leer, Thomas
15. White Car In Germany - Associates
16. Give Me Back My Man - B-52's
17. Beasley Street - Cooper Clarke, John
18. Friday Night Saturday Morning - Specials
19. I'm Your Money - Heaven 17
20. Dumb Magician - Blue Orchids

Crawdaddy are doing some sort of preview night with that record on Wednesday I think...

nlgbbbblth said:
.|..|

pity that gig isn't going ahead. Have the week off work an' all.

lets just meet up, play the music, get drunk and talk like Fred Schneider all night

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back